The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Got a loud exhaust ticket with stock exhaust???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Got a loud exhaust ticket with stock exhaust???

So i live in the NYC area and got pulled over for loud exhaust 3 blocks away from house. It was around 10pm and i was heading home after picking up some food. i get to a red light and i see that the cop had pulled over a clearly modified civic and seemed to be writing him a ticket. so the light turns green and the car in front of me goes then i go. I make it like halfway into the intersection and the cop just zooms behind me and pulls me over. didn't even flip his lights because they were already on from stopping the civic. . so i'm thinking what could he possibly want and he tells me that my exhaust is too loud .mind you, i drive a 03 automatic coupe. it doesn't even rev high when switching to second gear and i definitely wouldn't slam the pedal right next to a cop. that's just dumb. so he asked me if my exhaust was modified and i told him it was stock. of course he didn't care i guess the fact that he could "hear" it meant it wasn't stock . so then he asked why is one side(exhaust tip) is lower than the other and i panicked and said i probably hit something when in reality its just the exhaust is really rusted underneath. so he goes back to his car and 15 minutes later he comes back and just said appear on may 16th to criminal court and plead guilty or not guilty. i look at the ticket and it says "loud exhaust , the exhaust hit somthing." the violation is 24-218a which is described as "Causing or permitting unreasonable noise (10PM to 7AM)."

so has anyone had to deal with this in nyc? No matter what i have to appear in court. Is it possible i can just go to my shop and get something signed saying my exhaust is stock and show it to the judge?

Or would i have to get something saying i fixed my muffler because on the ticket it says i hit something? i feel like the judge wouldn't care if its stock because my exhaust is "damaged".

Any input would be helpful. thanks in advance.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Yea, you didn't get a ticket for modifications, so you will probably have to fix that before you go in.

The following users liked this post:
Thezigmaster (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But there's nothing wrong with my exhaust. just one exhaust tip is half an inch lower than the other for whatever reason. i got the car like that a year ago. i don't know what exactly is there to fix. lol

Old 03-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Thezigmaster
But there's nothing wrong with my exhaust. just one exhaust tip is half an inch lower than the other for whatever reason. i got the car like that a year ago. i don't know what exactly is there to fix. lol
if there is nothing wrong with your car, then you are fine. Find out what the noise regulations are for your area and as long as your car meets that, you should be fine whether your exhaust is stock or aftermarket. If your muffler is damaged, it will need to be replaced. But that half inch difference could simply be an old exhaust hanger that needs to be adjusted or replaced.

If your car is fine, then you should be able to get it signed off. There are always going to be that one cop who is a complete idiot about cars but wants to write up tickets, that's just something you have to get used to if you mod your car. I've had a cop try to write me up for having illegal emissions equipment when he saw my front strut bar...

Last edited by dofu; 03-12-2017 at 12:11 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.