G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Steering wheel drop problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel drop problem

When I start my 2008 G35 Journey, after the steering wheel has already adjusted to its memory position, as soon as I put it into either reverse or drive, the steering wheel drops another 1/4 inch so. Very weird.

This didn't happen for the first 1,000 miles, now it's every time. Is this a common problem? What's this an indicator of?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by onthebeam
When I start my 2008 G35 Journey, after the steering wheel has already adjusted to its memory position, as soon as I put it into either reverse or drive, the steering wheel drops another 1/4 inch so. Very weird.

This didn't happen for the first 1,000 miles, now it's every time. Is this a common problem? What's this an indicator of?
Common problem
Discussed previously at length
Mine does it too
A couple of people had their steering columns replaced for the problem
My dealer said they tested three other new Gs, they do it too
It hasn't changed in 17k miles, so I don't worry about it

Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Common problem
Discussed previously at length
Mine does it too
A couple of people had their steering columns replaced for the problem
My dealer said they tested three other new Gs, they do it too
It hasn't changed in 17k miles, so I don't worry about it
+1

Old 04-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Interesting, I thought the problem was that the steering wheel will click down into place when you apply pressure and pull down on it. OP said the steering wheel moves when he puts the car into gear.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CalsonicVQ
Interesting, I thought the problem was that the steering wheel will click down into place when you apply pressure and pull down on it. OP said the steering wheel moves when he puts the car into gear.
My guess is that he'll find he when he puts the car into gear, he simultaneously applies pressure to the steering wheel (turning, etc.) and that makes it drop down.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM
My steering wheel moves down too, about 1/4 in, but only when I apply pressure on the wheel. One way to fix that is try to not move the wheel up or down. I basically set the wheel in the same position (up/down) as my wife. I only move it in and out, and use the seat to adjust my position. Should I take the car in and have it look at?

Last edited by wrxrocks; 04-14-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
my wheel does the same thing, its like it clicks down that little bit more once put into drive.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It started at around 4000km. I just got it fixed last week. They replaced the entire steering column, as directed by Inifniti H.O. and for now the problem is resolved and everything works nicely. If the new one ever starts slipping again, I will post up to let you all know.
BTW, it took them a whole day to complete the replacement of the steering column. They say it took a while because they have never had to do it before so they followed the manual step-by-step (which I am glad about) and when they where done they also did a front alignment for me just to be sure everything was good.
For the record, I find the level of service at Guelph Infiniti to be excellent.
I might also add, more of us should be mentioning this to our dealers. My dealer had never had anyone mention this steering wheel issue to them before me. I told them it is not a unique situation and, that thanks to this forum, I knew for sure other 07/08's where having this happen also. Because of my information they called Infiniti immediately and expedited the process. I'm sure if I hadn't mentioned anything they would have probably wasted their time attempting to diagnose the problem. I think they where more than likely happy to not have wasted that time.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 04-14-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:48 PM
mine's been doing the same thing. infiniti of nashville offered to replace the steering column free of charge and they even ordered it for me. i felt bad because when the part arrived, i didn't want to have it replaced after all bc it wasn't worth the hassle of turning in the car for a full day. so i suppose i can live with the drop/pop.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another reason why i didn't get prem. package. i can manually move the steering column fine...and i haven't since i bought the car since i'm the only who drives it

Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
another reason why i didn't get prem. package. i can manually move the steering column fine...and i haven't since i bought the car since i'm the only who drives it
You say this as though you knew the steering would be a problem for a few unlucky owners. So aside from the steering, which is fixed under warranty, don't you think that the rest of the '07 premium package was worth 2K?:
-Power Sunroof
-Memory Seats, mirrors and Steering column
-Power adjustable tilt/telescoping steering column
-Homelink/Auto dimming rearview mirror
-Bose SOW sound system
-8 way power passenger seat
-Bluetooth handsfree phone system
-Power driver's seat lumbar support
-one touch auto up/down rear windows
BTW, we are all quite capable of manually moving a steering column and my main reason for choosing the Prem.Pack. was not to get a power steering column as it, to me, is the least desirable feature in the group. To each his own

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 04-14-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:05 AM
Sounds like they all do it. Mine does....no big deal.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:15 AM
I wonder how many G owners know about this issue. If he or she does not need to adjust the wheel, he or she would have not known about this problems. I don't want to take my car in again.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:06 AM
Steering Column...

I had this problem and took it to my dealer. I had the column replaced. The steering wheel was put back on crooked, and the leather part of the paddle shifters were scratched. I had to take it back a couple of other times to get everything fixed. The drop in the steering wheel was fixed, however. Now, after 3-4 months, the drop is back. I've decided it's not worth the effort in fixing it. But you have to ask yourself how bothersome it is to you. Honestly, it bothered me quite a bit when the problem first appeared. Thus, I took it in. From my experience, I just wish I had left it as it was. It's no longer a big deal to me.

-David

Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Mine has always done it, no big deal. Certainly not worth having the dealership replace the column and god only knows messing up what else in the process just for a slight movement. Mine only moves a fraction of in inch a quarter inch seems like a lot more than I experience.
Just my $.02

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel drop problem