G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Good News and bad news

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good News and bad news

I'm the original owner of a 2004 G35 Coupe with 154,000 miles. I could use a little help, but will first offer a solution for those of you brave enough to try it.

My fuel gauge started acting up a couple of years ago. I've spent the last couple of years relying on my odometer to keep me gassed up. I've seen the articles about pulling the sensors and cleaning with a Q-tip, but was never brave enough to try it. About 3 months ago I got rear ended, no significant damage, just needed a new bumper cover and some limited repair. Voila, immediately my fuel gauge started working like new! Not a recommended fix, offered for amusement only.

Now the area I need help. My car started stalling about 9 months ago and I replaced the Camshaft position sensors. The driver side sensor had a fair amount of oil on it, is that normal? I replaced both sensors and the car ran like a champ once again, but on my way to work this morning...same thing. My car has been burning more and more oil this last year or two. I'm probably going through 2-3 quarts per 3750 mile oil change. Is the oil loss possibly related to my cam sensor? Could I really have a failed camshaft position sensor after only 9 months? Would the oil make it fail, there's no way for oil to get inside of the sensor.

Of course I have no idea how to reduce the oil loss short of an expensive engine overhaul. Not up for spending thousands on a car only worth a few thousand, but I want to keep driving it. Any recommendations? Still has a great interior and body, except the paint is starting fade in spots. I figured I would just wait for it to meet it's end and then try and overhaul it myself, but if I can delay the inevitable for another year or two that would be grand.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
You say oil on the sensor. Oil on the part which goes into the engine? (That's normal - it's oily in there by the camshafts) Or oil on the outside of the sensor?

A bad o ring on the sensor will let oil seap out. I had this happen and the oil made it's way into the connection which gave me failing sensor symptoms. Replacing the Oring and cleaning out the oil fixed this issue very easily.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:21 AM
No the oil is on the inside, I figured it would be oily, but one was clean and the other was oily. (Maybe it's the clean one I should worry about) Bottom line is I'm wondering how my new sensor could have possibly have gone bad so quickly after only 6-9 months. These things are a pain to get to, had pull the plenum last time, but I remember one came out easy, almost too easy. I guess it could have backed out a little?
Had the code read last night and it was camshaft position sensor A, know if that would be passenger or driver? I just replace them both last time.
This thing is really starting to nickel and dime me and I'm loathe to put much money into with it burning so much oil now. Despite a really nice body and interior for a 13+ year old car it's probably only worth a few thousand.
I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Is the car leaking at all? No way you can lose that much oil without leaving oil marks on the ground? Is the car smoking? Blue smoke at start up? Does it smoke at redline under load? Does it smoke in neutral? Does it idle perfectly? Any codes? Pending codes?

Old 12-17-2016, 07:57 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Rafael, yes the car can indeed lose that much oil and not leave marks on the ground. However you are correct in the smoke questions and also a tell-tale sign of consumption is very dirty exhaust tips.

OP did you replace the sensors with OEM or aftermarket? Our cars seem to be really finicky when it comes to electronics, sensors in particular.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.