G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Maaco paint job on a G? vs random shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tbssimp
they are not paying for the whole car just 1,200 dolas... i wish they were though but thst's why i am looking for a decent price.
I would fight em to get the maximum from them. Tell them your paint condition was excellent. They should be paying more than $1,200 to repaint a car. Insurance will always try to lowball you in everything they pay for.

Put your foot down and get MOAR!

Old 12-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J2S2M
I would fight em to get the maximum from them. Tell them your paint condition was excellent. They should be paying more than $1,200 to repaint a car. Insurance will always try to lowball you in everything they pay for.

Put your foot down and get MOAR!
Well they are only paying for the side of the car that was keyed. That's why it's 1,200 they aren't paying for the whole car just front corner, pass door, back pass door, and back pannel. Should they be paying for the rest of the car?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Well they are only paying for the side of the car that was keyed. That's why it's 1,200 they aren't paying for the whole car just front corner, pass door, back pass door, and back pannel. Should they be paying for the rest of the car?
I would try to get them to repaint the whole car. Tell them that you want all the panels to look identical. Obviously just blending won't even out everything on the car. Good blending will get it close to the untouched panels but it will be very hard to get it to look the same especially since your car has been weathered over the years.

I would do everything possible to get them to repaint the whole car.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I had my front bumper painted by them for $135 .. I was nervous but it came out well .. it's been almost a year and I dont have any rock chips (I wouldve with Nissan's soft paint) and no cracking or peeling. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It was a brand new bumper tho so not too much prep work was involved.

BTW MAACO is a franchise. No two locations are the same.

Last edited by SkylineGTR2789; 12-30-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
where do you live tbssimp.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to work in a body shop and maybe that is going to make my opinion alittle biast but, in my experience maaco is not the best place to go for full body paint. Its worth it to save the money and go to a reputable shop that is gong to do a good job. Maaco does minimal prep work and your gonna have alot of over spray. Which may not bother you but im my opinion I would avoid maaco for a paint complete.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
my friend got his 06 gt mustang painted at a maaco and it turned out great, but you need to do the masking yourself, my friend had some overspray on various plastic pieces like the windshield wipers, and some of the rubber door trim but otherwise his car looked sharp and he paid 1200 for it all

Old 12-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
my father in law had an old truck painted for $800

the truck is more or less just a weekend / hardware store truck

The Macco job was ok. You can tell they did minimal prep work.

If you want TOP notch paint I would go to a local shop and talk to them about the price. They may be able to bargain with you.

If its a car or truck you want to sell or just wanna paint just cuz, then do Macco

Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mysoda
where do you live tbssimp.
North metro Atlanta.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You need to do alot of research. If you want a good paint job that is similiar to OEM quality you will be spending way more $1200, most parts would need to be removed also not just taped off. That includes door handles, all of the trim pieces, sometimes bumpers and windows, etc.

If you just have the repair work done(which is what I would do) make sure they use PPG and not Omni paint otherwise the metallics and tint will not match perfectly. The PPG is DOUBLE the cost of the Omni but for repairs it is worth it for paint with metallics. I would tell them also to do a good job in blending(blending further), this will cost more but make the difference in old and new paint much less noticeable. Also have them color sand and buff the entire car after the new paint has had time to cure to get the best overall results.

Painting a whole car even with Omni is not cheap. Paint,primer, clear alone cost me $1000 for decent quality stuff. That does not including the cost of any of the other materials or labor. The problem with cheap paint jobs is not only the masking parts instead of removal but the really cheap quality stuff there using, it will not last as long. I have color sanded the cheap vs good quality clear coat and the difference in durability is night and day.

I'm not sure how much of your car got keyed but $1200 may a low bid. Any body damage I have had on cars I bring to most expensive places possible to get multiple (high) bids submitted to insurance to make sure the car gets repaired properly. Paint and body is a major PITA, requires skilled hands , and the decent materials are not cheap, if you go cheap you will get what you pay for.

I have had three sports cars completly painted outside of insurance claims, each I have pulled all the trim,etc. prior to painting and reassembled afterwards. The last one I actually did most of the prep work, masking, and did the color sanding and buffing on the last two and let me tell you there is a reason why good paint is expensive. That being said the paint jobs on the G35's are really great considering it's OEM, I would think long and hard before having any place do a shoddy job.

Last edited by Michael Joneser; 12-31-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by J2S2M
I would try to get them to repaint the whole car. Tell them that you want all the panels to look identical. Obviously just blending won't even out everything on the car. Good blending will get it close to the untouched panels but it will be very hard to get it to look the same especially since your car has been weathered over the years.

I would do everything possible to get them to repaint the whole car.
Hahaha no insurance company will pay to paint panels on the other side of the car. They dont wanna pay for anything.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hi. nazc0, which maaco did your friend get his mastang repainted?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
So I bought my G35 about 6 months ago. Love the car. I got it for 6K mostly because the stereo was broken like always and paint issues. I put an aftermarket stereo in after reading about the bad stock one and I love it. One problem solved...

Now for the paint. There is like a softball size clear coat pealing on the hood of the car. It keeps getting worse. I also had some rusting on the top of the car by the windshield. It is to the point were water gets in the car when I wash it.

Good news... or bad news still not sure but the car was keyed one night by some kid driving a crappy old Civic. Insurance is going to pay to fix that and are giving me 1,200 for it. I want to go ahead and get the rest of the car painted as well.

Maco quoted 1,200 to do the whole car with the most expensive paint?

I took it to other shops and they range greatly. One decent price was 1,700. I am just wondering if it is worth paying the 1,700 or if that would be the same as Maaco and if I would have to use the dealership and pay 3k or so. I didn't get a quote from the dealership to do the whole car but I am guessing it's going to be pricey.

Has anyone used maaco here? If there a difference between the $300 and $1000 job at Maaco?
I had my VR-4 repaint Pearl white from Maco and it turned out ok. Too bad I sold the VR-4 in the summer and got my G.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
I'll throw in another one for Maaco... if you do all the prep work yourself.

The guys there spray a lot of cars. A LOT. They're quite experienced at it. But the prep work is where they cut corners, so if you do every bit of prep work possible, you can get good results, otherwise, I'd steer clear.