G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

DIY 2003/2004 G35 Sedan rattle exorcism

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:48 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Tonight I fixed the rattle in climate control/clock/compass bezel trim peice. I used this site to figure out how to remove the trim peice

http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=19

Picture from site:

I simply lifted upwards on the drivers side portion of the bezel to expose the rear corner lip and then used my finger nails to pull back. Working it slowly, I was able to remove it with some patience. It was a little painful on the finger nails. The potential source areas were:

1) The climate control unit display housing. There is play in this unit, even when securely mounted. I took some foam and tucked it in on both side of the housing. I also ran felt tape along the leading edge of the housing where it would contact the bezel when installed.

2) The security light unit housing was loose because one of the mounting screws wasn't secured completely. Screws tightened.

3) The security light wire harness contacts the plastic passenger side air duct. I placed felt tape on the harness.

Noises eliminated.

Last edited by DaveB; 12-30-2005 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
anyone have a creaking coming from the passenger side rear window (sedan)? If the window is all the way up, it creaks. If Ilower the windwo and then raise it, the creak goes away. It does come back, but it takes some time (usually an hour or more.)

The following users liked this post:
AlexWIWA (12-08-2014)
Old 12-30-2005, 04:13 PM
After 4 days of driving, I'm happy to report my G is far more solid sounding. The car is almost like a vault now. Gone is the rattle/squeak symphony when hitting large pavement cuts or when listening to bass heavy music.

Originally Posted by QuadCam
anyone have a creaking coming from the passenger side rear window (sedan)? If the window is all the way up, it creaks. If Ilower the windwo and then raise it, the creak goes away. It does come back, but it takes some time (usually an hour or more.)
Most likely the lack of felt on the door panel ribs because I had the same exact issue. My creaking is gone after placing felt on the ribs.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reply to several above;

Dave B.;
I also had the rocking seat which dealer couldn't duplicate (I think since their driver is about 5-7 and I'm 6-4). It developed a creak at about 10K which dealer was very happy to fix with a new inner rail assembly. Rocking seat was history. Solid as a rock. You might just check the hardware, but they said they did that on mine.

Quadcam;
The window creaking can be fixed with silicone lube. I had it on both passenger side windows after about the first year. Mentioned it to the dealer and he has some magic spray. Creak stayed gone for most of a year until the wet weather came back. I'll ask for another dose next week when it goes in for oil change.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Another fix for the window creaking that I have done is to place felt inside the inner lip of the upper portions of the window frame weather strip. Carefully pry out the upper portions of the weather strip, spread it open (the part that the glass goes up into) and you'll see flap of rubber. Pull this flap over and place a 4" X 1/4" piece of felt inside and then release the rubber flap to cover the felt. I placed two peices of felt in the front and rear portions of each upper frame weather strip. I did this on all the window frames. It took about 30 minutes.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Exorcism failed, demons still on board.

I've had a ticking sound for over a year now. It comes from both front doors at behind and level of the interior door handle when I drive over bumpy roads. I not only did the felt and water pipe insulation of this thread, but also additional foam weatherstripping behind and around the plastic door anchors. I also put felt in and around the white plastic area where the door handle and lock wires protrude from the inner metal door panel.

Any ideas? I swear it sounds like something is rattling/ticking from inside the door and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Bump.

Can anyone help me with the demons?

Old 01-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Get the window modulator (I think it's a modulator) TSB performed. They replace or grease some mechanism and it usually works but may also add a nice grease streak to your windows. Don't worry, you can take it back in or let it go away over a year or more...

Old 01-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Amazing amount of work to fix these issues. Good job. True indicator of a G lover. Most people would have gotten rid of a car with rattles that bad.

I was lucky enough to have my sunroof glass explode and shower me with shards. The good part is glass got all inside the roof liner and all inside the console, so the dealer/insurance got to tear the interior apart and get it all out. The result was a rattle/squeak-free car. Never had any issues with the doors or rear deck though.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, I have one recurring rattle, hapens when the car has been sitting in the sun on a warmer day, I thought it was coming from the sunroof, but not sure, seems like it's coming from the passenger side, one thing, I never notice it when someone is in the passenger seat, any one have a similiar evasive sound on an '05?

Old 01-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by QuadCam
Yup.....I've had it for a while now. I've actually gotten it fixed once....many people have experienced this....it's the window seal. I made the dealer replace mine w/ a new seal & it fixed it for a few months....but now it's back. Some guys have remedied this in several ways (lubricating the top of the window (IMO...just too messy)). I think one guy took a piece of weatherstripping, put the down down, inserted weatherstripping in top of door/seal area where window sits, and just raised the window all the way so it seats the stripping up far inside. I haven't tried that yet...but I may. For now, I just give my window a slight tap "down" to recede the window slightly from the seal & it works. No wind or water issues whatsoever.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Update: rattling problem solved.

Earlier, I posted that while I did all the recommended stuff to the doors, I was still getting rattling sounds from the two front doors when going over rough surfaces. Originally, I thought it was in the door directly behind the door handle. Further investigation revealed the actual area was in the top of the door window frame near the B pillar.

I checked out this TSB: http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB03-071.htm

My car is a 2004 model, manufactured in July 2003. I bought the Nissan felt tape and 3M silocone lubricant per the TSB. When I went to install, I discovered that the factory already installed the full 12" strip in each channel. I was perplexed as to why I had rattling since this was the solution in the TSB . . .

until . . .

I applied the 3M lubricant as directed in the TSB and voila! the rattling stopped completely! The bottom line is that this simple 2 minute application once in a while is the solution. It is not messy and does not leave any grease marks. I highly recommend it. Also, finding this 3M stuff is tough so I called 3M and they directed me to NAPA auto parts.

Hope this helps. I am now rattle free (at least in the doors ).

Old 01-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Amazed at the amount of work and research you put into this...

You ought to write up some instructions and productize this idea.

I'm guessing you know more about Rattle Exorcism than most of the Infiniti dealers at this point.

Seriously.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dave,

Thank you for sharing your fixes on rattles and creaks. I have previously resolved my one and only rattle for the time being. Nonetheless, your excellent write-up will serve me and others quite well for our future rattle/creak woes. If only the dealers put this much effort into this particular issue.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm glad to help. Most of these fixes are TSBs in Infiniti's database. The problem is most techs/service reps either don't want to bother and report the problem as "could not reproduce" or they simply don't want to take the time to test areas for rattle problems. I think the center console is one of the more severe rattle areas, at least on the 03/04. The 05 G35X loaner I had Friday had horrible center console rattles. They were constant and really loud.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY 2003/2004 G35 Sedan rattle exorcism