G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

any trouble spots at 60K? (to use extended warranty)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
My last car was a '92 Q45, the 90-93 Q's had a problem with the timing chain guides breaking well after the warranty ran out (in most cases). The original guides were plastic and the updated parts were metal. If they broke the repair was very costly, but Infiniti never offered to help.

Basically, if there's a design defect that only shows up out of warranty, Infiniti won't care. You could probably say the same for other manufacturers too.
Not necessarily, Mazda had a problem with the RX-8 rotary and extended the warranty to 8 years/100k. My old one got an engine at 96k.

Infiniti should do at least a hidden warranty for the issue.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
Smile

Update: asked the independent shop in Atlanta (T3) about the oil gallery gaskets and they said it's more common in '07 models but that the '08 models *may* have updated parts. The initial symptom is the oil light flickering. They charge about $1000 to fix depending on the number of hours.

Asked the dealer too and the service adviser said he's only see 3 of them and that there's no way to fix under the warranty unless it breaks (understandable). He also said a general oil pressure test may not find it, that you have to test the oil pressure at the tensioner (that part over my head......).

But my AC compressor recently started getting a little noisy at times, and getting that replaced now. The warranty was $1250 w/$100 deductible, so I'm sure the AC is much more than that. So getting my money's worth out of the warranty!

Old 04-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts

Update: asked the independent shop in Atlanta (T3) about the oil gallery gaskets and they said it's more common in '07 models but that the '08 models *may* have updated parts. The initial symptom is the oil light flickering. They charge about $1000 to fix depending on the number of hours.

Asked the dealer too and the service adviser said he's only see 3 of them and that there's no way to fix under the warranty unless it breaks (understandable). He also said a general oil pressure test may not find it, that you have to test the oil pressure at the tensioner (that part over my head......).

But my AC compressor recently started getting a little noisy at times, and getting that replaced now. The warranty was $1250 w/$100 deductible, so I'm sure the AC is much more than that. So getting my money's worth out of the warranty!

Greg,

There is no updated gasket in the '08. The failures have been reported clear up to the 2011 model year. The current revised gasket wasn't issued until 9/2011, so it's really only the 2012 + models that are in the clear.

The initial symptom is NOT a flickering oil light, it is LOW oil pressure, which is detectable with a simple test. The only outwardly visible symptom may be flickering oil light though. Be aware though, when that light comes on it means you have virtually NO oil pressure left. The threshold to trigger the light is just a few pounds. If you wait for that, you may already be doing damage to your motor.

An independent charging 1000 for a discrete gasket repair is plausible, but somewhat on the low side. I suspect their final bill would exceed that.

As I noted above, dealership's will minimize the level of occurrence of these failures (it's called denial), and they most certainly are fixable under warranty and without waiting for a complete failure of engine operation OR even a low oil pressure indicator light. I know this because I did just that! All that is needed is low oil pressure reading on a pressure test and they will be able to start an investigative repair order to determine the cause. Once they open it up and they find the cause (presuming it is the gaskets), they will be covered under warranty provided the warranty is still in effect.

As far as a pressure test not finding it, I call BS. If your pressure is overtly off (i.e. in the low single digits), then you pretty well found it. At that point, there's little reason to require a test at some intermediate location. The FSM is clear: there is a minimum oil pressure specified, and it is to be measured at the sensor port. PERIOD. Now, if you measure the oil pressure and it is right on the borderline of being within spec, it may be harder to know if it is something else causing it, like poor bearing clearances (aka engine wear), which may or may not be covered. At that point, it would be wise to monitor it for further rapid progression, as that is the nature of the gasket symptoms as it literally blows out which increases the size of the leak.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
treach, I'm assuming you mean the diff mount bushing and not the CSC (i.e. concentric slave cylinder for the clutch) since relatively few owners have the 6MT tranny. So in that case, yes, it is a potential experience for any V36 sedan owner, regardless of transmission type, since they all share the same diff mounting. I actually don't know how prevalent it is though. I just thought it interesting that duke had mentioned it just then.

It is a funny thing that, as unwarranted as all the repair receipts clearly show it to be, I still regard my car as having been reliable in general, and I actually look forward to many more miles on it since it is now pretty much on "the other side" of all the worst that seems to happen with them. I sure am glad for that Elite warranty though; cost me $1492 for a 7yr/100K mile/$100 deduct. plan, yet it paid out well over $6K in the end. Not bad! (but also not good )

If I were to get rid of it, the potential cars that are rear-wheel drive, manual transmission, sporty, semi luxurious, visually appealing, and reasonably priced are few and far between. I highly doubt I'd find one with better all around value than what I'm driving right now, SO . . . as much as it pisses me off that my Infiniti has had so much go wrong with it, I will just keep on driving it. However, I won't be purchasing another Infiniti product when I'm done with this one.
-_- I swear, this makes me feel like I'm messing up by buying an Infiniti. Idk what other car competes with it though in price. BMW and Audi sure, but I don't want to pay 2-3x the expense for parts / maintenance. Idk

Old 04-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by G35.JETLife
-_- I swear, this makes me feel like I'm messing up by buying an Infiniti. Idk what other car competes with it though in price. BMW and Audi sure, but I don't want to pay 2-3x the expense for parts / maintenance. Idk
I think you are over-reacting. It is a small, prehaps tiny, percentage of cars. If it concerns you, get the pressure test done. If it's low, take it to the dealer and don't take no; make them fix it under warranty, as noted above. If you have the Infiniti Elite extended warranty, it will be covered.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:35 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Too much over-reaction in this thread. It's good to be aware but don't let it get to you. By all accounts and external reviews, our cars are above-average reliability.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
So is there a compelling reason to have the oil gallery gaskets replaced in the absence of symptoms or problems? My last car was a '92 Q45 and it had a well known defect of plastic timing chain guides which could crack, causing significant damage. But it only happened at high mileage well out of warranty. So a proactive fix on that was a very good idea (to reduce future repair cost).

The independent shop has two different locations, I'll visit the other location and see what they think.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Wow, trouble at 60K miles with your Infiniti? I'll let you know when I get there!
Gary

Old 04-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
So is there a compelling reason to have the oil gallery gaskets replaced in the absence of symptoms or problems? My last car was a '92 Q45 and it had a well known defect of plastic timing chain guides which could crack, causing significant damage. But it only happened at high mileage well out of warranty. So a proactive fix on that was a very good idea (to reduce future repair cost).

The independent shop has two different locations, I'll visit the other location and see what they think.
Greg, in the absence of any problems, visible or hidden (i.e. the tell-tale oil pressure drop), I wouldn't recommend doing anything to it. As yet, it does not happen in all cars, so there is every chance that you may be one of the spared ones. Just do a simple OP test and then monitor it periodically to catch it if it does start to go. There does not seem to be any lasting collateral damage done for those that have had it occur and then fixed it promptly. Plus, things can always change, and you never know whether you may find you don't even own the car for as long as you now think you will.