G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Gasoline smell outside of car on cold start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gasoline smell outside of car on cold start

I own a 2007 G35x with right around 153k miles on it now, and recently I've noticed that theres a really strong odor of gasoline that lingers for about 30 seconds after I start the engine when it's cold. I don't mean a cold start like its sub zero weather; I live in Hawaii where temperatures rarely get anywhere below 60 Fahrenheit.
So just to throw out an example, I get off work and get to my car that was sitting in the parking garage for about 8 hours. I roll down the windows (yes, the odor is outside, and only outside), press the brake and start it. Revs hold at about 2100 rpm for about 10 seconds or so and start dropping. Its right when I start the engine that I smell gasoline, and the smell stays for about 30 seconds. It literally smells like I just pulled up at a gas station. After that, all is normal; I smell nothing.
I'm just looking for answers and advice since I'm pretty worried about it; some pages online
got me scared about fires and stuff.

Here's some things wrong that I know of:

-I have a minor oil leak (it's super minor, my oil level barely drops at all)
-I probably have a minor coolant leak somewhere (I doubt its a head gasket leak since I don't have any of the symptoms)
-The check engine light is on, and with the cheap $15 scanner I have, I've pulled these codes: Confirmed: P0014, P0024 Freeze Frame: P0001
-I get terrible fuel milage. Bad fuel milage is rather normal in Hawaii but mine just SUCKS. I get something like 280 miles out of a full tank on average. My commute one way consists of about 2 miles of city driving, 6 miles of highway, and about 3 1/2 of freeway. The trip computer shows an average fuel consumption of 18.5 miles to the gallon. The best I've gotten out of one tank was 330 miles.

I'm starting to think that the P0001 code is probably related since generically it signifies a fault in the fuel rail, but the code isn't even in the FSM -.-

Otherwise, I take great care of my car. I change both the oil and the oil filter every 3500 miles with Mobil 1 5w-30 and NAPA Gold filter, and I do my best to replace things here and there.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.