G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

For Those That Have Driven The G37

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question - I have an 03G with AT. I do a lot of highway driving and when Im crusing @ about 80, my RPM's are around 2800.

So, I was wondering if anyones noticed a 5th gear change in the G37...ie (lower rpms)...

Old 08-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterbanks
The car drove well, felt solid. Not as quick as I had hoped, but when I drove the 335 I thought it was gonna feel quicker as well. As an overall package I liked it.

ooooooh youuuuuu BASTARD! You guys got white?!?!? OMG, I would've had to wear a jimmy if I was test driving a white one... The FIRST true IP pics i've seen to date.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Test drove G37S 6MT at Alta Infiniti

Hey everyone,

I've been bouncing around here for about two years now and been visiting frequently since the rumors started on the G37 (07 G35 at the time). I am an original 03 coupe owner and expect a black on black 08 G37 6MT to arrive next month.

My dealer gave me a test drive and I though I'd share my experience with everyone here.

Got back from test driving G37 Sports Journey at Alta Infiniti. The car was the Amethyst Graphite with black interior. I didn't think I'd like the colour when I saw the sample, but I was actually looks very impressive in person. The purple is not overwhelming and blends between dark grey and purple.

As stated before, the G37 have a more refined, mature feel. The interior is a real upgrade. While some have complained about headroom, the car feel far bigger to me inside and outside. The flow of the car is more apparent in person that in pics. I would say the changes equate to the changes between the 06 to 07 G35 Sedan which IMO, look sportier and more upscale. The sound system is KNOCKING! A big upgrade from my 03. The bolster on the seat is great.

In terms of drive, this is a far better day to day car. I drove a 6MT and the gearing is much improved. I no longer need to feel out the gears. The car is very compliant and rides like a sedan on day to day driving, then turns to a sports car when you turn it on. It's more refined which is good and bad (I'll talk about the bad below) and definitely firmer with a very linear power band. Power always seems to be available. I rarely if ever downshift. You never seem to run out of power in any gear. In fact, my friend was able to get it up to 150KM (Canada remember) in 4th gear with little effort and in no time. In 6th gear, just step on the pedal and it goes. I also stalled once, because I forgot I was driving stick. The car does not feel fast, but pulls very well. What you need to do is keep your eye on the speedometer to get a sense of how fast your going. Like I said, the car is more refined, so while you'll be doing things that may have been more exhilarating in the G35, they will feel common place in the G37. Not until I thought about it, did I realize what the car was doing.

The noise isolation is so much better. We had the windows down, the music blasting and it took us a while to realize we where doing 80Km in a 40KM zone. It then dawned on me how aware I would usually have been of wind noise, yet there we were focusing of the richness and definition of the music without any thought of the windows being fully wound down.

Dislikes:
Ok, the front-end of the car seems high. When I brought my wife over later she kept point to the front fascia's grill and how pronounce it is. I had to show her, that the grill existed on the previous model. I think my black car will hide this fact.

In terms of the ride, as I stated above it is more isolated. It's still a very fun car to drive, it's just more of a mature, refined vehicles. If the 335i is more refined that this, then I definitely do not want it. You seen to loose some of the fun factor. The best way I can put it is, driving the G35 you want to weave in and out of traffic, driving the G37, you know you can, but why bother.

I also found that with the firmer chassis and the 19"s tires the ride was harder. Not uncomfortable, but you definitely felt the feedback in the steering. Where I never felt nervous in my G35, I often felt nervous with the G37. I was never quite sure what the car was going to do. This might be just getting use to the feel, but I didn't have to do this with the G35.

All and all, I would say that the G37 has improved upon the G35 in every way. I have no regrets in upgrading. Probable the best thing I did is sit in the passenger seat and let my wild cousin do his thing. This really allow me to take the time and appreciate what this car can do. My cousin was blow away with all the features of the car and couldn't believe that this was just the Sport Journey.

By the way if you're in the Greater Toronto Area and want to check out the G37, I'd recommend heading to Alta Infiniti and asking for Matt. These guys are great to deal with and I've never had to think twice about doing business with them. They treat you like family and are very professional. Even though they knew I was going to buy, they called me within minutes of getting the car and gave me plenty of time to check it out. I'll post pics shortly

Here are the pics! Sorry their not that great!

I've gotten some great information on this forum and love the enthusiasm. I'm glad to be onboard. If some can let me know how to convert these images to thumbnails, I'll update them.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:13 PM
what color gray is that.

If im going with an g37 its between white that gray and ob. Cant make my mind up

Old 08-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Welcome to the boards and very nice write up. Thanks for all the pics and information.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
ob easy for the win

Old 08-15-2007, 01:37 PM
I didn't know the iPod displays an Infiniti screen when plugged in. Cool! I wonder will happen when I plug in my iPhone.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:55 PM
08G37c dissappointed "looks" max 7 out of 10

Originally Posted by peterbanks
The car drove well, felt solid. Not as quick as I had hoped, but when I drove the 335 I thought it was gonna feel quicker as well. As an overall package I liked it.

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
wat gives???

nothing new on infiniti.com either

Anyhow to say the least the G37c arrived at Willowdale Infiniti(Toronto) just the other day on the 13th & honestly I was right..the pics were right..very dissappointed with the looks of the car! Simply merely a facelift from the previous generation. Nothing sexy, nothing attractive about it. It looks unfinished nor incomplete. It looks too much like the previous generation. If they had designed it anything close to the damn concept than it would be one hell of a nice looking vehicle. This car will not be anymore successful or see any increase in sales whatsoever compared to when the G35c generation rolled out on 2003. This car will not do as well I can assure you. They ruined the car! What did they do? What were the JAPS thinking? They put more effort & engineering and time in to the new G35 Sedan than the G37c.

7.0 max out of 10

I think I will be moving over to the BMW 335i which is 10-15g's that much better in all respects..

When I bought my 03 G35c I would have literally rated it no less than 9 out of 10. Now of course there are too many on the street. But when the car was launched released there wasnt a single sole that would not look at the car. The car got a lot of attention and praise..it was the sexiest car on the road in 2003. It was refined and very sharp and bold looking. It has character. As for the 08 G37c will see nothing near this success..

So dissappointed I cannot stress any more..Im certain may consumers would agree with me here..

Old 08-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey, I here what your saying. I'm getting a G37 and love it, yet I fully understand your point. I bought one of the first G35's in Canada. Actually the attention was too much for me.

I would have loved to have seen infiniti deliver on the Coupe Concept and still which they had - that would have achieved you we are looking for IMO. So, when they didn't, I had to take a step back and look at it for what it was. I'll be honest, it took a bit, but the more I looked at it the more I liked it.

I think Infiniti will do well with the car, but as you stated, I don't know if their going to grow their customer base significantly. I could be wrong, but their are so many G35 coupes in TO that is almost like a Honda accord. The exclusivity of the car is lost and their is nothing in the new model that will reinvigorate that. But I think the car will be a success, just as the new Sedan have been.

Please excuse the poor grammar, feeling lazy!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:16 PM
That's funny cause where I live (Silicon Valley), BMWs are EVERYWHERE...especially at my work... >_>

Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Drove it last Thursday!

Overall a BIG change, I wasn't too thrilled about the exterior styling from pics but I gotta admit its much more appreciated in person. This car looks amazing inside and out. Unfourtanately (well maybe fortunate for them lol) the dealer didn't have a 6MT to try out just auto. but still it was thrilling nonethless. This car has one hell of a neck breaking factor, EVERYBODY was staring at this car. Also it shifts very smoothly with the paddle shifters and is definitely very very quick, I was able to take it to 120 on a back road and it felt MUCH smoother than the G35 at those speeds and you could hardly hear exterior noise. I want this car lol.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Hehe I'm expecting to get a lot of looks when my salesman brings the G37 up to where I'm located. I hope I have the only G37 for a good while up in the high-desert!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G35CoupeToronto
Anyhow to say the least the G37c arrived at Willowdale Infiniti(Toronto) just the other day on the 13th & honestly I was right..the pics were right..very dissappointed with the looks of the car! Simply merely a facelift from the previous generation. Nothing sexy, nothing attractive about it. It looks unfinished nor incomplete. It looks too much like the previous generation. If they had designed it anything close to the damn concept than it would be one hell of a nice looking vehicle. This car will not be anymore successful or see any increase in sales whatsoever compared to when the G35c generation rolled out on 2003. This car will not do as well I can assure you. They ruined the car! What did they do? What were the JAPS thinking? They put more effort & engineering and time in to the new G35 Sedan than the G37c.

7.0 max out of 10

I think I will be moving over to the BMW 335i which is 10-15g's that much better in all respects..

When I bought my 03 G35c I would have literally rated it no less than 9 out of 10. Now of course there are too many on the street. But when the car was launched released there wasnt a single sole that would not look at the car. The car got a lot of attention and praise..it was the sexiest car on the road in 2003. It was refined and very sharp and bold looking. It has character. As for the 08 G37c will see nothing near this success..

So dissappointed I cannot stress any more..Im certain may consumers would agree with me here..

Wow, you are very agitated over this. In the Canada section you went over your max of 7.0 and gave it a 7.2/10 LOL

The car is actually very close to the concept. No final version of any car is exactly identical to the concept. I'm a little disappointed myself but the car is far from awful looking. Agreed, the '03 G surprised the auto world/public with it's striking good looks. That's a tough act to follow. However, I would have a hard time saying the 335 is a better looking coupe. Certainly not one I would pay more for on looks alone.

I can't see how something can look unfinished nor incomplete. That's a contradiction unless you meant or compete.

It's doubtful less effort and engineering went into the Coupe versus the Sedan. You don't like the look of the G37 but have an objective and serious look at all of the changes from platform, engine, suspension, technology inside, transmission, complete interior, new bodyskin etc. There is a lot there.

Time will tell whether your prophecy for the G37 is right. Good luck with the 335 and enjoy your $10-15K much better car.

BTW, using the Slang for Japanese isn't really acceptable in todays day and age.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by G35CoupeToronto

7.0 max out of 10

Wow! I don't think I've ever read so much subjective opinions passed as facts before. Too funny!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:59 PM
This car looks alot different in person. I think all the cars at the dealer are auto for now. My dealer told me they will have two manual transmisson on the release date for test driving. cant wait!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For Those That Have Driven The G37