Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev-Up airbox on a VQ35DE - special note

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Placebo affect possibly?....
I don't think so. The induction sound difference is pretty noticeable to my ears. You may not have noticed much sound difference because your car is significantly louder than mine. Secondly, you might not have noticed much difference in throttle response because you've got cams which negatively effect lowend power and obviously lower rpm throttle response. Maybe this setup doesn't do much for a fairly modded VQ35 like yours.

I believe you're the only person on this site that hasn't liked this mod.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Thought I'd leave a little feedback about this on the FX since I brought the thread back from the dead. Got to drive the wife's FX around this weekend. It's kinda hard to explain, but at WOT the intake actually sounds a bit quieter, I'm guessing from the smoother air-flow. Couldn't really tell any HP difference (probably minimal anyway), but it smoothed things out a bit.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I don't think so. The induction sound difference is pretty noticeable to my ears. You may not have noticed much sound difference because your car is significantly louder than mine. Secondly, you might not have noticed much difference in throttle response because you've got cams which negatively effect lowend power and obviously lower rpm throttle response. Maybe this setup doesn't do much for a fairly modded VQ35 like yours.

Its not that "I don't like it"... its that there is no difference so there's nothing to like or
dislike... I just think its a waste of time/money (for the butt hurt out there, please note the "I think" part - as in "IMO")...

My $50 offer still stands... certainly someone local is willing to step up and get 50 bux - I find it hard to believe this is so noticeable yet no one wants to step up and prove it (and make easy money)

Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB

Originally Posted by LoSt180
Thought I'd leave a little feedback about this on the FX since I brought the thread back from the dead. Got to drive the wife's FX around this weekend. It's kinda hard to explain, but at WOT the intake actually sounds a bit quieter, I'm guessing from the smoother air-flow. Couldn't really tell any HP difference (probably minimal anyway), but it smoothed things out a bit.
Thanks for the input.

For the bet imo thing, yes we've all read it multiple times. thanks

Old 04-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se

For the bet imo thing, yes we've all read it multiple times. thanks
if this is directed to my post... yes, I realize you are self centered and think that since you've read it, then "all" have read it... but it's not fact.

the same ppl that have read the offer have also read what little you have brought to the thread as well... so there is no point in repeating.

just sayin'

Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Red Card Crew

you don't have to keep putting your little offer up repeatedly Mike. If you haven't been contacted here or though PM, it means that not many are interested. Anyone reading this thread can see your original comment(s) and offer.

The semantics battle is just frustrating. And to top it off, in my opinion, you offer doesn't prove anything. So while in your opinion I "offered little", you haven't offered anything at all.

But go ahead and have the last word. I suggest quoting your original offer (that little have even commented on) for best effect. Because we all know that's how you are. You can't be wrong, there's no possible way is there?

Jeff (LMAO at how easy it is to rile you up)

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-20-2011 at 02:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bikinilust (08-20-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see it this way:
-Stock intake is the best for laminar flow, power, managing IATs on hot days
-Revup box has a bigger velocity stack than DE box
-If stock system is the best, why not spend a few $$$ to potentially make it better with a more pronounced velocity stack, it can't hurt.
-Cheaper than wasting one's money on an intake.

After reading about Dsskyline's results with the Takeda intake, I'm done looking for an aftermarket intake solution.

I recently had this intake dynoed last week and lost power with it.

I installed a 06 rev-up box with a new paper filter and pulled 263hp and 235tq on my tune A/F was perfect.

Next was the takeda back box with stock front, but instead of using their filter I used the apexi power intake.

Power went down to 254 and 226 tq and the A/F got rich so the tuner got the A/F to the same as the panel filter and it still made less hp and tq. He immediately said put the other one back he could tell the difference on the dyno.

I may try another test with the takeda filter, but I'm sure the results will be the same.

Now I'm wondering if I could of ran 12's with the stock intake instead of the stillen CAB back in Dec.

I will compare the 2 at the track this weekend if the weather holds.

Stock airbox is the best. These test were done with a 3in MAF housing. I'll try to get the sheet and post it up.
https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...-intake-4.html

Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
you don't have to keep putting your little offer up repeatedly Mike. If you haven't been contacted here or though PM, it means that not many are interested. Anyone reading this thread can see your original comment(s) and offer.

The semantics battle is just frustrating. And to top it off, in my opinion, you offer doesn't prove anything. So while in your opinion I "offered little", you haven't offered anything at all.

But go ahead and have the last word. I suggest quoting your original offer (that little have even commented on) for best effect. Because we all know that's how you are. You can't be wrong, there's no possible way is there?

Jeff (LMAO at how easy it is to rile you up)
LMAO on how you think I'm riled up You're so self centered that you think you actually have that affect... you really crack me up

I mentioned the "offer" twice - the second time was in response to Dave's suggestion that the reason I don't notice a difference is because of cams; fair enough, but that's why I stated that the offer still stands (for someone without cams to determine a difference)...

Funny how you say "...battle is just frustrating" - but yet say it's me that's getting riled up

Go ahead Jeff... continue the off topic banter... it give you a purpose to be here.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Red Card Crew

I'm just LMAO at how you "think" I really care or how you try to protray that you don't.

Keep posting up your unrelated offer like it really proves anything.

I always understood that your "offer" wasn't specifically with your car.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM

Keep posting up your unrelated offer like it really proves anything.
it would prove what I said (not hard to figure that out) that a driver would not know which air box is on their car.
I always understood that your "offer" wasn't specifically with your car.
so... what difference does it make what you understood... my response (that you are so interested in) didn't even have you in mind and wasn't directed to you.

What have you provided to the thread other than proof of your fascination with me?...

Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Red Card Crew

No one is fascinated by you. Especially me.

But thanks for being self centered enough to think I would be.

Don't get all "blankity blank" on us now Mike.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 PM
^^^ considering 99% of what you've done in the past two pages is focus on me and my posts (and nothing about the topic)... it's pretty obvious what your obsession is.

Nonetheless... I'm positive we will see a bunch more of this from you:
Name:  MSNHeaven-ComAnimated106.gif
Views: 102
Size:  6.4 KB

Old 04-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Red Card Crew

Actually no. But you are free to keep thinking that.

Jeff (knows that Mike had done the same but won't ever admit to it)

So just let it go. Thanks

I neither liked or disliked your response. It was you that made sure to ruin Dave's thread by telling everyone you thought it was a waste of money. (no less than 3 times). Note that it was your post that was called dramatic, not mine

I'll just edit my reply to #390 here as Mike desperately wants the last word. Jeff will be the adult and let him have that. Victory for Mike!

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-20-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:48 PM
^^^ wrong as usual Jeff...

I responded to a guy asking if the "mod" was worth it...

Then responded to a couple of you (you primarily) that got pissy because you didnt like my response... Then I offered to prove my point to anyone that wanted to make $50 (all of that was topic related Jeff).

Everything else was in response to you blabbering off topic about me and my "on topic" posts...

And in the end you say "just let it go" that's hilarious...

Take your own advice Jeff... it would be the only worthwhile thing you've contributed.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 AM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Wow guys c'mon, all of this back and forth isn't necessary. Mike is entitled to his opinion about this mod. He doesn't think its worth it, that's ok. Some will respect his opinion based on the fact that he has extensively modded his car for performance and has done a ton of research on the performance aspects of the VQ35DE. Others will try it for themselves given that so many people like this mod and its not a huge cost. Either way its a data point to be considered among the opinions on this mod.

This battle over semantics and words is old guys

Back on topic....

The following users liked this post:
RicoG35x (02-21-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev-Up airbox on a VQ35DE - special note