Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27.200

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 10:19 AM
IQ9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27.200

Thanks for the K&N part number. Pep Boys gave me a filter that has a "2" at the end and not a "1". They stated that it was the same size and "can't see any difference". I got the managers discount because I got a hook up and bitched some. Went home to put it in the 350Z and...IT DON"T FIT!! The filter wants to pop out of the tray. So my Dad and I used a razor blade notched the filter and it seems to fit pretty well. It fits the tray but you need to hold it as it goes back into the airbox. The Z now has a nice hiss to it.
I just wanted others to know not to get sucked in by the computers and the resource material given to some retailers. But,if it only cost $15 bucks you would deal with the mistake to,right?

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Premium/Winter/Aero
69 Chevelle BB/4.11's

Old 01-23-2003, 10:50 AM

$15? what cost $15? the K&N filter at pep boys?

on the K&N site, it has the filter size for the G as 33-2031-2. is that the wrong #?

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 01-23-2003, 01:06 PM

Pepboys has the K&N filter ?

..pestilence..

Old 01-23-2003, 02:26 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The filter I have in my G-Coupe is # 33-2031-2. It's the same filter I took out of my Sedan when I traded.
Is it possible the Z takes a diff. size?
Mine cost me $75 CDN. - Someone on this forum or F/A was selling them for about $43 US if memory serves.

Gsedanman--in Silverstone Coupe clothing.

Old 01-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Re: Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27

You guys have to remember that this is a V6 with 280 hp... adding a K&N is going to have a bigger increase then say adding one to a Honda Civic with 140 hp... I think a lot of people on here are thinking about the times when they had there rice rockets and putting in a K&N only netted a few HP... Also remember that Nissan has several models with this engine, and the only way to seperate the different models (engine wise) is to detune it for the different cars.. so don't be so surprised when adding mods gives you pretty big HP gains... personaly I think with the STD bolt ons, the coupe should make 270-280hp @ wheels with no problems..

Great post socalmmr.... thanks for the dynos.. Also a note to other guys who have dyno's done, make sure you get SAE corrected dyno's so we can compare them...

Old 01-23-2003, 04:11 PM
IQ9

The part# with the 2 at the end did not fit properly. This is on a 2003 350Z not a G35 but Pep Boys said their computer lists it as fitting just as well. The computer is wrong-I got the filter for $15 because of a hook up. It retails for $42.99. If it fits the G that's great but I don't want anyone to get home and get pissed off if the filter "almost fits". I am being told currently that it may be a manufacture defect-per Rob @Pep Boys...who cares I got it to work and so can any of you. I didn't want to scare anyone, just provide an experience.But isn't that what car building is all about...wait til the Gs are as old as my Chevelle. Thats when all Hell breaks loose!!!!!

69 Chevelle BB/4.11's

Old 01-23-2003, 05:00 PM
O.F. Administrator

So long as it doesn't leak and fits ok , you got a deal, man.

I see in you sig. you have a '69 Chevelle BB. How B?
396/427? What horse? (stock). Nice ride. I remember it well

Old 01-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe w/ K&N CAI

Hey listen, thanks for your follow up post. I know I got a little heated too quickly, so for that I sincerely apologize. No harm done. It would also be fair to say, it was just a bad week, which had nothing to do with anything here. You are a true gentleman, so thank you for reviewing the info & making this follow up post. I truly appreciate it, & for my part, as above, I apologize if I flew off the handle!!

They certainly can’t say we do not have a lively thread here. I always get a kick out of reading each of the threads, & I think we have a pretty good one to be sure!!

Anyway, I want to address another post in this one reply, so for part 2...

About the part #'s, I did put the K & N part # that I know works in the post with the Dyno’s, but I realized today, that due to the size of the scans, it's VERY easy to overlook it (I had to scroll a couple of times myself just looking back). So to help avoid the problem of the filter part # mix up & having to shave or modify the filter, this is THE K & N part # that fits. Also, I see in another post that someone says there is a slightly different # on the K & N site, & I'll be honest & say I have not verified this, however, the part # I will paste below this text, IS directly off the box I still have for the filter that now fits FLAWLESSLY in my G35 Coupe.

The K & N part # that I know for SURE works is as follows:

"NM-33-2031-1"

This part #, just to be clear, for those that might be new in the thread, is only for the currently produced, OEM fit, "Drop-In" type filtercharger replacement product, not the prototype CAI system that is also a topic in this thread. This part # is for the filter that will replace the factory paper filter that sits inside the stock intake system......

I saw in the posts above the matter of the “-2” at the end of the part #, & to be clear this is NOT the part I have used. The part that does fit ends with the -1 & it is a 100% flawless, made to order fit, no compromise what so ever!

I'm really sorry to hear about the issue @ Pep Boys, but it sounds like you got it worked out. However, if you are still getting a whistle, then there is a problem & you do not have a perfect seal, which will allow un-filtered air to get into the intake, so hopefully no one else will get the -2 part & cut it to make it fit. I certainly can not tell you what to do, but I would strongly advise if this whistle sound is still there, that you remove the -2 shaved filter & find the part # I have posted above.

For those still looking I originally purchased this part from this company...

http://www.pawinc.com/

I am not in any way advocating a particular vendor, just providing an FYI as to where I obtained the part. Now, I also bought the part a few years back, late 1999, but this is a HUGE distributor out here in California, which also sells by catalog & online. PAW is a highly respected company here in California, performance products are what they do, I have always found the staff there to be very sharp, knowledgeable & "on-it". I feel very good about referring someone to them. Again, I only post that to share my experience & info, I am in NO way endorsing or suggesting that anyone SHOULD purchase from them, do with the info what you will, I have been asked in some private messages about where & what part #, as well as in this thread, so that is the reason I am putting this info in here now.

Good luck everyone.

Always feel free to toss any questions my way.

Also a fun snippet, I have been in touch with the boys down @ K &N this week (1/21/03), & I think I can, at the very least say, that things for the CAI system are moving along nicely & it looks like I might be taking my G down again for some follow up testing soon, as before I am not allowed to talk about HP #’s or dates or timelines, etc… So I really appreciate no one asking about these topics. But I think it’s ok for me to say that it looks like they are on schedule, I’m just not allowed to say what the schedule is..

Gawd, I really love my Coupe!!!

Randy

G35C / Brilliant Silver / Willow - Titanium
Aero / Nav / Premium / Performance
Manumatic / K&N OEM Fit / PIAA Super Plasma GT Fog/High replacement / Factory Bra / And Dyno'd Baby!!!

18068-SilverG35CAero.jpg

Old 01-23-2003, 09:23 PM
IQ9

Gsedanman-Its an original chevy 427. Rear wheel Hp is 431.2. It gets me moving but it now for cruzing...back ingoes the interior and new power door locks and windows. More fun for the new wife!!! She's all white with a 4 inch cowl hood. I have got to stop...we are on the wrong site.

69 Chevelle BB/4.11's

Old 01-23-2003, 09:28 PM
IQ9

Thanx for the info Randy. The hiss is normal with all K&Ns I have ever had. It has been explained to he as part of the increased flow. I got no worries!

69 Chevelle BB/4.11's

Old 01-23-2003, 09:46 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey Randy, Nice to hear from you. and nice new pic of the new Coupe. I'll have to think about getting my D/G, A/T posted too.By the way, are those Brembos I see on your A/T?
Sounds like some confusion about the right K&N filter for the Coupe.Think I'll check that out tomorrow. I'm using an "-2"
that I took from my Sedan when I traded. But by the sounds of it, the Coupe should have a "-1". I don't understand this because the "-2" fits mine perfectly.
Has anyone else checked the listings for the 2 cars on the K&N website?
We look forward to hearing about your next visit to K&N as that pobably means that they're close to finishing up that project and marketing a nice new CAI for us all with a net gain of ...........................good HP. Great news (IMO) Keep us posted, and thanks again.
LOVE MY COUPE TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yes.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:54 PM
O.F. Administrator

Don't stop, don't stop!!!!!! I love it. J/K . I'd like to know more sometime, yeh maybe on OFF TOPIC when you get time.

(427, aluminum block?, 425 stock HP or maybe 435 3x2 int. and boosted to 431 rear wheel............Nice...........) sorry, got carried away......LOL..........Later

Old 01-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe w/ K&N CAI

Well, I will be honest & say I am quite stumped about the -1 & -2. I know this sucker as the -1 fits in flawlessly & I also held it up back to back with the original factory paper filter before I put it in the car, they are a 100% exact match. When I talk with the people I talk with down there I will inquire & see what they have to say...

Oh, the pic of the coupe is not my actual car, but it's the right color & aero etc. I think those are Brembo's on the pic... I'm going to work up some daytime shots of mine soon, I have a digital camera so it's pretty easy to do, weather has been a bit off out this way, so I'm waiting for a really nice, clear sunny day...
Randy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27.200