How important is the V-LSD on the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How important is the V-LSD on the track

Anyone tried both the open-diff and V-LSD G35 on the track? I am looking for a comment on how much difference it makes.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Having a V-LSD is better than having no LSD at all. An open diff takes no corrective action at all whereas the V-LSD will apply torque to the wheel with more traction. The problem though is that a VLSD will only kick in AFTER slippage has occured. If your not too serious a roadracer then the stock VLSD may work for you. But most racers who are a bit more serious or want more out of their car will opt for a clutch or torsen type diff that has a higher torque threshold than a vlsd and will prevent slippage BEFORE it happens.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dklau bullseyed it for you.
The viscous unit is an ingenious device, but it really is more of a safety upgrade with some limited performance upside over an open differential.

It is hard to describe until you experience driving the difference, but as soon as you do you will immediately feel and recognize that running with a mechanical (clutch or torque sensing-torsen type) lsd provides very substantial performance gains in the cornering department. And road racing on a track, or high performance driving on a road (canyon carving type twisties) with the lsd is quantumly faster, and in the hands of a skilled driver safer, with an lsd. Cornering is where the speed is to be found, and getting the power down on the road from both wheels to the max possible through and out of a corner is what gives you that slingshot acceleration out of the turn and down the straight that pushes you way out in front of the other cars.

An advantage of the viscous unit is that it is not a "bad boy". It is quiet, unobtrusive, and only there when, or as dklau points out..slightly after...you really need it. The mechanicals often grab hard, bark the tires and clunk the rear end audibly. They are "right now" and that means performance oriented results...and consequences to comfort and impression on driver and passengers. There is a reason it is not standard equipment in most cars.

So, depending on what you are after, the mechanical is to be considered as a mod. Given a choice between no lsd and vlsd, clearly you want the vlsd.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:40 AM
Team Transport Member
Except for that God offal sound it makes Im sure its a great mod if your gonna track. But then again it will attract a lot of attention tot he car when you pull up at a party. HEHEHE HUH Ed? But then again I would love to pull up to a party/club and have Valet drop their jaws when they see EAGLE1's Monster

Old 03-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by zazaracing
Except for that God offal sound it makes Im sure its a great mod if your gonna track. But then again it will attract a lot of attention tot he car when you pull up at a party. HEHEHE HUH Ed? But then again I would love to pull up to a party/club and have Valet drop their jaws when they see EAGLE1's Monster
You are right about that AJ. I have had people chase me in a parking lot to exclaim that something is breaking on my car and I need to stop right away!!

Old 03-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Can I get a clarification on the "noise". It is absent when going straight, and audible only when doing short radius turns (usually at low speed), right?

Old 03-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by Marquis
Can I get a clarification on the "noise". It is absent when going straight, and audible only when doing short radius turns (usually at low speed), right?
Going straight the rear wheels are both turning at the same speed, so zero difference in sound to an open diff or viscous lsd. The noise and grab are irritating in a very tight radius turn, especially on a very smooth surface at slow speed....like a supermarket parking lot doing a 90 degree turn. You can eliminate that pop and grab by simply interrupting the transmittal of power to the rear wheels in such a turn....by depressing the clutch and gliding around it. Then it is audibly and physically absent, so no worries. You learn to drive with it in those circumstances where it can be an issue, and you have to problems with either passengers or bystanders.