New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Hey all!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all!

Juat wanted to say whats up and introduce my self. My name is Brian, I am 30 years old, I have an 04 G35 coupe. I love this car so much, I'm never going to sell it. I just intend to keep building it and maintaining it. So far I have put in new headlights, but i just ordered Stillen high flow intake kit with ztube, motordyne 5/16 copper isothermal plenum spacer, and motordyne art pipes. I should have all my parts by the middle of next week, and I am working with the shop I really like. We are going to put everything in and do an ECU remap and Dyno tune. In a couple months when the spring comes I'm going to throw on a set of Michelin Pilot supersport's and new Wheels. I look forward to meeting you all and enjoying some conversation! Take care.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Hi Brian, welcome to the G35 Driver forums! All the mods you intend to do are great! However, adding ART pipes before including a complete exhaust system and then a tune will give you a terrible sounding exhaust system. OE exhaust system can't handle the massive volume replacing those OE cats with ART pipes creates. Once you get an exhaust system including the ART pipes will complete the breather mods, then you'll need to get a tune since you'll be running lean.
Glad you love your G35, "Good Luck and enjoy the ride!"
Gary

Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the reply!

it is my intention to put the intake, plenum spacer, and art pipes in, and then remap and tune for them at the shop right after they go in in one session so the car is calibrated for the new mods.

I'm a bit surprised to hear what you are saying. I was actually told quite the contrary. There are very many people who report running the motordyne art pipes with the stock exhaust setup and really liking it. Theres also a bunch of videos on YouTube of people running the art pipes with the stock exhaust. Sounds great. I havent ever heard anyone say they didnt like the ART pipes with the stock exhaust, or report any negatives from the mod if it was done correctly, and that one bolt on the passenger side cut down so it doesn't make contact with the resonator.

Are you saying this from personal experience? I am interested to know what caused you to have this opinion. I would love to hear more about that. Thanks for the input!

Old 01-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by brian201201
Thanks for the reply!
Are you saying this from personal experience? I am interested to know what caused you to have this opinion. I would love to hear more about that. Thanks for the input!
From personal experience? Ya might say so, since I rolled my coupe off the showroom floor in '04, I've had high flow cats, art pipes and then more high flow cats. Then 5 different cat back exhaust systems, 2 sponsored! Adding ART pipes with OE exhaust is like putting 3 lbs of **** in a 1 lb can...not enough room aka volume! Listening to vids is only as good as the KMart recorders they used. Anyone claims there system sounds good with ART pipe and OE exhaust you need to hear it in person and at higher RPM range...just don't stand to close!
Gary

Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Very interesting. A little disheartening to hear it to be honest. I certainly wouldn't question your experiences with these components. However your first reply concerns me, and prompted me to contact motordyne directly. I just got off the phone with their sales department and ask them about coupling the art pipes with the stock exhaust system. They informed me that said it should be fine and sound great. They had told me that they have had many clients couple the two together with great results. Now I certainly understand that it is a sales department and their interest is in selling the product. So I know I need to keep thatin mind when listening to their response to my concern. However, their response did put my mind at ease to some degree. I suppose the only way to know for sure will be to try it.

I guess I am just going to go ahead as planned, and see the results. If there is excessive rasp or any issues, I suppose I will just have to go ahead and purchase the full exhaust. The full exhaust is like $1,700. The art pipes alone are like 600. My intention was not so much to reduce spending, but to keep the Great Sound of the stock exhaust, but make it a little louder, with a little bit more flow, and free up some horsepower with less restriction from the cats, while leaving the original exhaust sound largely intact, if not just a little louder and deeper.

if I wind up having to buy the whole exhaust that's going to set my build back a little bit. I really wanted to put those wheels and tires on for spring. And that would cost about $1,800. The same as it will cost to put on the exhaust. I don't know, I guess we will see.

I definitely appreciate your input and your advice. Thanks again man!

Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
From personal experience? Ya might say so, since I rolled my coupe off the showroom floor in '04, I've had high flow cats, art pipes and then more high flow cats. Then 5 different cat back exhaust systems, 2 sponsored! Adding ART pipes with OE exhaust is like putting 3 lbs of **** in a 1 lb can...not enough room aka volume! Listening to vids is only as good as the KMart recorders they used. Anyone claims there system sounds good with ART pipe and OE exhaust you need to hear it in person and at higher RPM range...just don't stand to close!
Gary

I have art pipes and Hr y pipe stock muffler
I dont like how it sounds (rasp) like somethings vibrating in the muffler
I am getting the full motordyne exhaust in a few weeks tho

Old 01-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all your input fellows I appreciate that! I'm going to put everything in at the shop this weekend. Or this week at the latest. I'll see what it sounds like. If there's any rasp at all I'm just going to go ahead and order the full motordyne Shockwave exhaust. I'll throw it in when I get it. I'm going to order the whole exhaust anyway regardless of how it sounds with the stock exhaust coupled with the art pipes. I will tune immediately after putting in the plenum spacer, intake, and art pipes, and then when I put the entire exhaust in, I will retune. I'm so pumped.

After that I'm going to put some custom Fortune Auto coilovers with swift spring upgrade, sway bars and strut Tower brace.

Then new slotted rotors, and brake pads for the existing Brembo calipers. I'll get some new wheels, and some Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

I'm going to be big-time ready for spring! Im pumped!

I'm optimistic about making some decent power gains with those three mods that I'm putting in this weekend. What do you guys think?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.