G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

6 MT - Synchronizers Not Right

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 MT - Synchronizers Not Right

I am at 15,000 miles on my 2003.5 6MT, and I have transmission problems that are not new. For the first 5,000 miles +/- the transmission was notchy, but shifted flawlessly. Then came a random crunch when engaging 2nd gear. After about 2,000 more miles the random crunch became more so, involving all gears except 6th. Rarely is there grinding, just a pronounced obstruction as you shift into the gear. In addition, there is the feeling (at times) when shifting from 1st, with the clutch fully depressed, that you are literally pulling it out of gear without the use of the clutch. I have had the car into two dealers, with an adjustment in one case (no help) and virtually being told that I am crazy at the other dealer. I am not a novice, having driven sticks for at least 750,000 miles.
I am mentally ready to sell the car, which is unfortunate as I chose the G35 specifically for the 6MT, and had to travel 800 miles to find one. I can not in good conscience sell the car to a private party, and will take a bath if I trade it in.
The rattles have been tamed substantially, although I still have a creak in the driver's window (fixed twice). My primary concern is the transmission.
Does anyone have any advice as to how to deal with this issue? It would be greatly appreciated. Do I take it in for the 15,000 service, or trade it in?
As an aside, this is my first Nissan vehicle. I expected exemplary fit and finish, and service. I have found neither.

Old 11-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 6 MT - Synchronizers Not Right

my tranny has been fixed to perfection. the rattles I can't help you with, I don't have any. i have a little suspension creak at 50 degrees F, but it is an aftermarket suspension, so it is my fault.

but i had the exact same tranny problems and they fixed it right, no questions asked at Pinnacle Infiniti

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, '03 "Z" Suspension, Magnaflow resonator, 6 Wire 4 Guage Grounding Kit

Old 11-06-2004, 12:15 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem you described is a common problem. The 2003 G35 6mts especially had bad trannies. Go to the dealer and you will get a revised tranny that should take care of all problems.

04 Coupe Auto/DG/Prem/Nav/Perf

Old 11-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

EZZ:

As he stated in his original post, it's not that easy, to just take it to the dealer and have your MT replaced - he took it to TWO dealers, with no satisfaction, and in fact was told he was crazy !!

This is the problem so many of us are having, with all of US knowing that the 6MT has problems, but many of the dealers apparently stonewalling everyone and saying there is no problem.

Some of us have had our 6MT's replaced under warranty as many as 3 times, no questions asked, while others are told by the dealers that they are not aware of a problem.

I have the same problems with my '04 6MT (build date 12/03) with the synchros grinding, and I just passed 12,000 miles. I'm waiting for it to get so bad that they cannot deny the problem, as I don't have the time or inclination to screw around with the dealer's service department.

This, G35Driver.com, is the best forum (and opportunity) for us 6MT owners to band together, and in numbers large enough to make a difference.

I think we should start a thread with all of the 6MT owners that have had problems giving their VIN #'s - then, whenever we encounter this common 6MT problem, we can go to the dealers who have "never heard of a problem" with the 6MT, and we can show them 100 or more VIN#'s that have (or had) the bad 6MT, and can say "then where have you been? - here is a short list of problem cars - check with the manufacturer to verify these VIN#'s".

What do you other 6MT owners think ??

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 11-08-2004, 01:28 AM

I support this initiative.

Though the car has so many wonderful characteristics, speaking in microdetail it is the pedals, steering and gear shifter that we communicate with most and if one of this is screwed, then the entire car sucks no matter how good everything else is. This is the state of my 6mt (one of the first lots of 2004 model, delivery: Oct 2004). I am extremely disgusted with the notchy gear shifting (9/10 times) and occassional grinding (4 out of 10). Going by the pedals-tranny-steering combo, i felt far more gratified by the pleasure of driving a 5mt 1992 Honda Accord due to its near perfect shifting.

Sorry abt the venting, coming to the point, i am going to talk to my service shop (Dreyer and Reinbold Infiniti at Greenwood, IN) and see what they have to say. I moved from NJ where i bought the car. I have been complaining abt this from the first week of buying this car and apparently it is 'anything but the tranny's fault'.

Sedan 6mt, Blk on Blk, Everything.

Old 11-08-2004, 05:23 AM

i have definitely reproducable tranny problems with my 03.5 sedan. i know i can take it back anytime for a new tranny, but im just waiting for the newest revision of the tranny to come out so i can get the best one. dont wanna have to keep changing it. =)

good idea? or bad idea? what do you think?

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 11-08-2004, 12:28 PM

How do we know whether the current tranny is better? Through other owners?

I know 3point5SE has been stating that his tranny has been fixed to perfection. But i dont know if any one else has the same opinion on their original or replaced tranny.

Can any 03 or 04 6mt owner claim that their tranny is perfect or up to their satisfaction? Your feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2004, 02:48 PM

as I stated previously, mine is great now and mine is a 2003.5 6MT

some techniques I used to my success: If you take the car in to the dealer in the morning as most of you do it is likely to work fine. lubricant works best when cold. as you heat it up, it will work less and less effectively. the lubricant has to be warmed up. Really warm. as in 40 miles or so warmed up. drive the long way to your dealer in a gear lower. also, make sure it happens immediately before you go to the dealer. if it doesn't, reschedule. it took me and the service manager many attempts to make the grinding appear on the test drive. Then it happened every time. If they hesitate to go on a long test drive, explain to them about the tranny fluid needing to warm up.

Good Luck

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, '03 "Z" Suspension, Magnaflow resonator, 6 Wire 4 Guage Grounding Kit

Old 11-08-2004, 05:21 PM

strange, mine grinds when its cold. and only 6th grinds.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 11-08-2004, 08:51 PM

i would'nt give up that fast on it. you've got plenty of warranty left and it sounds like it's driveable. i have been having some intermittent issues with the shifting, but nothing that is dangerous just a nuisance sometimes. it also seems that if i drive the car full out it shifts better and smoother at higher rpms and speed.

the shifting apparently has a limited amount of electronic control so maybe that has something to do with it . maybe the sensors are off a bit and creates a shift problem. some days i can shift flawlessly and others i can't shift smoothly at all and i know its not me.

04 6MT sedan, black/willow<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by FLAG35 on 11/08/04 05:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-08-2004, 10:52 PM

I agree with both nuttyprof and FLAG35. Mine grinds when it is cold, notchy most of the time like how FLAG35 put it.

More feedback from other 6mt owners would help though...

Old 11-09-2004, 06:56 PM

Mine is the same when cold -- Occassionally at a stop I have to push hard to get it into 1st.
When things are warmed up it seems better, notchy, but better.
Higher RPM's usually help smooth out the shift but in rush hour traffic it is not always possible.

2003.5 Sedan 6MT, Brilliant Silver

Old 11-09-2004, 07:03 PM

btw... At every service from about 18,000 km onwards, I've mentioned this... and everytime they say things are "normal". If/When things go serious at least they have record of my complaints in their service records.

2003.5 Sedan 6MT, Brilliant Silver

Old 11-09-2004, 07:54 PM

yeah, Ralph G35S, the tiny little kick is what happens to me. but not all the time. some days it just isn't there. other times i can't get rid of it.

i also have an intermittent problem with a downshift from 6th to 4th and then trying to upshift back to 5th. sometimes the shifter doesn't want to go to 5th but insists on going to 3rd.

i asked about this at my 15k service and they told me the shift sensors temporarily "lockout" certain gears based on wheel speed, rpms, etc. found this surprising for a "manual" . guess we are not considered smart enough to drive true manual trannies anymore. geez.....

04 6MT sedan, black/willow

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6 MT - Synchronizers Not Right