Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Tranny grinds in 3rd. Infiniti wont help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny grinds in 3rd. Infiniti wont help!

Whenever i start up my G and start to drive it, the first time i shift into 3rd gear, the tranny grinds. Unless i fully press down the clutch wat a sec or 2 and then shift it will grind. After this first time grinding into 3rd, the rest of the shifts, including upshifts to 3rd r fine, for the rest of the drive, untill i start back up my g after it has been sitting for a min of 2 or so hours, then it will grind into 3rd again. I have complained to infiniti numerous times, but when they drive it and im in the car, they wait a cppl seconds after the clutch is in to shift, like pussies. This problem is not from shifting quick or agressive, just normal. BTW my ride is an 03 6mt. what do u guys think, its pissing me off. thx

Old 12-10-2004, 11:22 PM
A buddy of mine was having this problem with his coupe (early 03). We went to the track and that fixed the grind from occasional to not going into 3rd at all. They replaced the Tranny.

Go out and give some H3LL

Old 12-10-2004, 11:33 PM
how do u recommend i do that? on the track or at infiniti?

Old 12-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckP
how do u recommend i do that? on the track or at infiniti?
Heck! .... just pick the nearest highway on-ramp and give er!

See how many times you can upshift and downshift to third gear with or without the clutch. If it's going to fail ..it will fail soon enough with this kind of treatment.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:17 PM
complain and complain, and call infinitis higher ups, mine did this with 5th gear and they replaced it with no problem though.... have a tech take a ride with you, if your car is an 03 i think theres even a recall on notchy trannys that grind.....

Old 12-11-2004, 07:29 PM
I've got an '04 Coupe and do have a slight snag in the upshirt into 3rd. It seems to grab pretty consistently but does not really impede shifting. It does not do this in any other gear. It's still fairly new (2k miles) so maybe I just need to work out the kinks with a trip to the track =)

Old 12-11-2004, 07:30 PM
There is no recall, i have checked, infiniti doesnt want to do shift, they just keep saying, well you have plenty of warrenty left, just wait and we will see if it gets worse. BTW i have ripped on the car many times, still no luck f-ing it up

Old 12-11-2004, 10:21 PM
I had the exact same thing happening to me. Do what I did.
I got drunk (to ease the pain) and did donuts everywhere, including the freeway! The next day I took out my car and 3rd was fixed, but I messed up 2nd very bad. So I took it to infiniti and they got me a new tranny, and an FX to drive. By the way, I have 26,000 miles on the car.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by izzy21
I had the exact same thing happening to me. Do what I did.
I got drunk (to ease the pain) and did donuts everywhere, including the freeway! The next day I took out my car and 3rd was fixed, but I messed up 2nd very bad. So I took it to infiniti and they got me a new tranny, and an FX to drive. By the way, I have 26,000 miles on the car.
i can also highly recommend drinking yourself into a stupor and hopping onto the freeway. try going the wrong way and then slamming head-on into the first minivan full of kids. fun.

Old 12-12-2004, 12:49 AM
might have to pass on those, already gt a dui under the belt. any other helpfull ideas the dont put my life or my G at risk? Ima try rippin on it again, but it doesnt seem to do nothin, u really think i should try power shifting into 3rd?

Old 12-12-2004, 01:12 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
You guys need to call Infiniti Consumer Affairs and let them know you are not happy with the way the Service Dept. is treating you. Also get the Service Mgr involved as well.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Good luck my friend! I fought with the dealer and consumer affairs for over two weeks when my syncros were grinding (4th- 5th and 5th - 6th) Lots of yelling and threats of lawsuits later they finally replaced the trans and clutch under warranty. If that dealer wont do anything go to another. That's why I should have done!

Old 12-13-2004, 01:21 PM
wow, im on long island, compitition infiniti replaced my tranny clutch at 18k miles with NO problems.... im telling you theres a notchy tranny problem, im pretty sure its in the service bullitens..... Tell the manager, tell them its embarrising, call consumer affairs complain, they WILL fix it, they have to.... If you are persistent they will fix it.... i cant believe people are actualy trying to break trannys, lol, i couldnt do that to my g, no way....

Old 12-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Thx for all you input. I went back to infiniti today explaining this is a common problem on the 03's. The told me that they have never heard of the problem or had G's come back to them with this roblem. I can understand that bacause where i live, they are all driven by old people, i have one of the few 6mt's around. They want to keep the car for a few days and drive it again. The service manager told me that even if they can duplicate the grind, they have to find something wrong, or the tranny will not be replaced. I got pissed and told him i didnt spend 40g's on a car that has a tranny that grinds, when my '91 civic hatchback doesnt. Anyways i talked to the one of my buddies in service, and he said he will drive it and do his best to duplicate the grind any way possible. If they dont fix it, im going to take your guys advice and call infiniti consumer affairs and bitch non stop. Thx again for all ur input, very much apperciated.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:47 PM
try another dealership..... u have a loaner in the mean time????!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tranny grinds in 3rd. Infiniti wont help!