Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

First Time Detailing New Car - Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Detailing New Car - Pics

I've had the car for a little more than two weeks, and decided to be proactive and detail my car.

I received my order from Detailed Images this week (thanks, George), and woke up early Saturday morning (4:45AM!) to beat the sun, since I don't really have a shady spot or garage. I rinsed her down, and washed her with Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds and sheepskin wash mitt (2 bucket system, of course). After washing and rinsing the whole car, I took George's advice and removed the nozzle from the hose, let the water sheet over the car from front to back, then blot dried with a microfiber waffle weave drying towel. It worked well (one towel pretty much did the trick, but a second one finished the job). I ran my hand over the car, and decided that it was still very smooth, so I left the clay bar in the package. For step two, I applied Poorboy's EX-P Sealant with a microfiber applicator, and wiped it away with some microfiber towels (it took about five towels to do the whole car). Where necessary, I used some Clear Kote Quick Shine detailer to get rid of some bug guts. Of all the stuff I used today, I was most impressed with the Quick Shine. It works very well, and leaves absolutely no streaks. I ended up using it to do the windows and sunroof.

I had planned on applying some P21s Concours Carnauba Wax next, but alas---the sun was breaking over the horizon. I will do that either this evening or tomorrow morning. Here are the pictures after applying the sealant:

After working on her for about 3 1/2 hours, I took my daughter to dance class. On the way there, I could not stop "fondling" the side of car while driving.

I will take some more pictures after waxing her.

I know that saying this to folks reading this post in the detailing section is preaching to the choir, but doing this has been a great experience--very fulfilling. I am glad that I was proactive with the new car, and I'm sure doing so made the job that much easier.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on looking after your new ride. Great job.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Kromax, great job man, your G looks super good! I personally find detailing cars very gratifying, which is why I started doing it part time for people. It sounds like you've caught the detailing bug now.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Nice work.
I love that fesh smoothe feeling.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Kromax, great job man, your G looks super good! I personally find detailing cars very gratifying, which is why I started doing it part time for people. It sounds like you've caught the detailing bug now.
You know, if I didn't have a full-time job that requires a 3 hour (round trip) commute via railroad, didn't have two young kids, I would seriously be thinking about it.

I'm going to put a coat of wax on today or tomorrow, and perhaps tackle the much tougher job of detailing my wife's Odyssey in the next week or two. That will be a much tougher job, since it's two years old, never been waxed or hand-washed, and is obviously much larger than the G! It's also silver (or whatever Honda calls it), so it looks pretty good, but I know it won't have the same silky feel without claying it.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Very nice car and nice job. One thing I would have done was to go ahead with the claybar. If it never had a claybar, then you should do it. Even if it appears smooth, you will see a difference. I took my brand new Lexus and clayed it 2 days after I bought it and there was a huge difference in color and depth.

By looking at your car, I think you will see added depth and clarity after claying it. Because its still clean, I'd do it, do another layer of EX-P, then P21S wax. You can clay a panel at a time, then when you finish that, go ahead and apply EX-P. The good thing is that PB stuff can be used in the sun, so you don't have to worry.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:00 AM
nice detailing job man, the pics really show the shine of the car.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:22 PM
The P21s is incredibly easy to use--easiest wax I've ever used. I was tempted to put a second coat on, but exhaustion was a factor. (I ended up waxing the car Saturday evening, after the sun was safely below the horizon.) I woke up early this morning to go to running, and I made a couple of stops looking for a spot to take some pictures. It was pretty early, and the sky was overcast, so I don't think the pictures do the car justice, but here are the best ones. If the day complies, I'll take some better ones tomorrow.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like you had a successful weekend detailing your vehicle Kromax! The EX-P + P21s wax looks stunning on Liquid Platinum, very deep and wet looking which can be a difficult task to achieve on lighter colored vehicles.

Great job!

George

Old 05-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Looks like you had a successful weekend detailing your vehicle Kromax! The EX-P + P21s wax looks stunning on Liquid Platinum, very deep and wet looking which can be a difficult task to achieve on lighter colored vehicles.

Great job!

George
Thanks, George. Again, I appreciate your help. As I said above, I may endeavor to tackle my wife's 2005 Odyssey next week, but it's a bit more daunting than the brand new G.