Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Horrendous wheel damage repaired perfectly by Son Tran!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Horrendous wheel damage repaired perfectly by Son Tran!!!!

I had curbed all my rims over the last 3 years due 100% to my foolish actions. The front right one, however, was the worst. It looked like it had received frag damage from some explosives. A huge piece of metal was missing out of it and also pieces of metal were dangerously sharp and bent outward around the crater. Sorry for the quality of pictures (taken w/ camera phone) but you should be able to see the damage well enough. Here is a picture of the damage on the right front wheel.

PS-other three rims were all lightly curbed, some even all the way around the edge of the lip.

I have been considering wheel repair for quite some time, yet got into an accident and had a lot of other things come up that required my financial attention. Finally I was able to take care of this. I did research on several options before I decided to go with Son Tran. He comes highly recommended off of many different car forums, especially the BMW ones here in socal. I saw some threads with pictures of his work which all looked great, and also heard that he is very reasonable in terms of price. He would always answer my text messages promptly and was very cool whenever I called him. Today I met him at Autobacs, and I was shocked to roll into a Honda civic meet. I was in the midst of the enemy! (I kid, I kid) I met him around the back, then we drove to an adjacent empty parking lot. (He has to work at places that are empty, or where people are cool with the noise, because the machinery he uses is very loud, and sometimes people complain)
He even gave me a ride to my house to wait while he finished the job. We discussed pricing and he was very reasonable. I waited at my house for a couple of hours and then he called me and let me know that my car was done. My friend drove me to come pick it up, and I couldn't believe it! The lip damage on all four wheels was gone, even the Vietnam veteran right front was spotless! I paid him for his service (I gave him 20 extra as a tip) then came home. If you look in the first curbed picture, the damage was directly to the left of the centercap. My wheel was positioned differently in the after pics, so I took several pictures to try to show where the damage used to be.

Overall shot:

Area directly left of centercap:

Posting this pic just for fun:

Son Tran now comes highly recommended by me, and if you know the shops/services that I recommend, you will see that they are top notch in service,quality, and more importantly, honesty. Here is his contact information: 714 742 6855 Son Tran.

Last edited by threatcon07; 04-12-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: new picture
Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for Son Tran

Old 03-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those rims have anodized lip if I'm not mistaken. Since re-anodizing can't be done, how did he come about fixing it?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM
From what I have read and been told, anodizing is stripped, repair is performed , polished, then clearcoated. Doesn't require re-anodizing. If anyone needs their wheels w/ anodized lip repaired they can feel free to call him and find out his take on repairing anodized lips. I do know that he has repaired hundreds of Volks and other wheels w/ anodized lips over his long career.

Originally Posted by jlin615
Those rims have anodized lip if I'm not mistaken. Since re-anodizing can't be done, how did he come about fixing it?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
wow they did a awesome job

Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much did he charge you for such a masterpiece

Old 03-29-2009, 08:50 PM
PM'd. He quotes on an individual basis depending on damage,finish,etc...but you will be pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted by Choleaoum
How much did he charge you for such a masterpiece

Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM
juy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow...he did an awesome job.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by threatcon07
From what I have read and been told, anodizing is stripped, repair is performed , polished, then clearcoated. Doesn't require re-anodizing. If anyone needs their wheels w/ anodized lip repaired they can feel free to call him and find out his take on repairing anodized lips. I do know that he has repaired hundreds of Volks and other wheels w/ anodized lips over his long career.
He re-clearcoated it? I always thought it wasn't possible to get it clearcoated once they strip the clear coat and anodizing.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
^ He's Vietnamese man, anything is possible with $$ for them LOL jk jk...yeah nice repair man, now I know who to go to if my wheels get fvcked. Any number or contact info for him?

And rolling into autobacs to a civic meet Right in the middle of enemy, you say you kid but you know it too, you were in uncharted waters of the enemies mang Glad you made it out ok without punching one of them out, jk. But wow he did a great job!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Lol...yeah mang, when I drove up and saw what was going on, I thought "oh no". I mean, me rolling into the middle of their meet, its like if a slammed EG w/ Spoons rolled up to a g35 barbecque or something (UNINVITED) . Being an ex-Honda guy myself, I felt like it would be no time before they would come at me for betraying the Honda brotherhood! Luckily we were meeting in the back. His name is Son Tran, phone number is 714 742 6855. Thanks everyone for the compliments. Son is truly a good guy (really one of the nicest people I've ever met) and really deserves all the referrals that he gets.

Originally Posted by G37Rider92649
^ He's Vietnamese man, anything is possible with $$ for them LOL jk jk...yeah nice repair man, now I know who to go to if my wheels get fvcked. Any number or contact info for him?

And rolling into autobacs to a civic meet Right in the middle of enemy, you say you kid but you know it too, you were in uncharted waters of the enemies mang Glad you made it out ok without punching one of them out, jk. But wow he did a great job!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Were you the one who smashed his wheels at the autobacs meet? or was that someone else?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:44 AM
No...haven't been to a meet in years. But hope to go to one soon!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was the damage purely cosmetic or was the rim bent as well? I may need a wheel tweeked out a bit.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Only cosmetic...if the wheel is bent then you will have to send it in to a shop unfortunately.

Originally Posted by G35 Owner
Was the damage purely cosmetic or was the rim bent as well? I may need a wheel tweeked out a bit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horrendous wheel damage repaired perfectly by Son Tran!!!!