V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Staggered + AWD... any real technical info?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staggered + AWD... any real technical info?

Well I've been looking for definitive info about this, and all I find are theories but not actual sources so...

What is the story with running staggered on the G35x? I believe that it's "a bad idea", but that's mostly because of what I've been told and what I've read -- pretty much conventional wisdom. But is it really a bad thing though?

I mean, what I've "learned" is that it screws up with VDC... or that the whole ATESSA setup doesn't like it... something about the front wheels being smaller and spinning at a different rate, pulling the AWD fuse, whatever. But when you think about it... wouldn't this happen even with non-AWD cars? VDC is a feature of all the Gs, wouldn't the coupes or Sport sedans have problems too?

So... is this "a bad thing" -- like you'll get a light in the dash or some other crap? Or is it "a bad idea" -- as in you'll break something in the transfer case, your car will run out of control into a ditch, stuff like that?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Well from what I read, the AWD systems are set up diff than the RWD VDC system. I "think" you could stagger if you keep the dia differences real small. I run coupe 19s staggered on my rwd sedan with no problems but the stagger is small.

I don't think the AWD system likes to see diff rotational speeds for any extended length of time. My theory is if it's left w/o any warning, the AWD VDC system might constantly be trying to battle your dia differences and burn out/wear out the electronics and couplings that connect the frt/rear. To prevent this, the AWD throws a CEL and turns itself "off".

Old 05-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well from what I read, the AWD systems are set up diff than the RWD VDC system. I "think" you could stagger if you keep the dia differences real small. I run coupe 19s staggered on my rwd sedan with no problems but the stagger is small.

I don't think the AWD system likes to see diff rotational speeds for any extended length of time. My theory is if it's left w/o any warning, the AWD VDC system might constantly be trying to battle your dia differences and burn out/wear out the electronics and couplings that connect the frt/rear. To prevent this, the AWD throws a CEL and turns itself "off".
Yeah that's part of what I've read too. But then you'd have to think about how many different types of wheels there are out there. You have people running 8.5/10, 9.5/10, non-staggered in sedans even without AWD, etc.

It's like one of those things when your mother says that you shouldn't put a baby on a table or open an umbrella indoors. You figure it's gospel and go with it, but at the end of the day you end up doing it because someone said so, and you don't really know why.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
The thing is, I've read about awd having problems using diff sized tires. I've also read of other awd cars having problems with diff sized tires. It's even recommeneded that you replace tires in sets of 4 to prevent AWD VDC problems.

I have to think the AWD versions of our cars are WAY more sensitive to tire diameters than the RWD.

If you want to try it, feel free. But it's a ton of money wasted IMHO. And once you mount tires on your wheels, they typically cannot be returned.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
If you want to try it, feel free. But it's a ton of money wasted IMHO. And once you mount tires on your wheels, they typically cannot be returned.
Money is not an issue, because you can sell "mounted once" tires/wheels for the right price most of the time. Hell, you can get lucky on ebay and score what you paid for them... or if you have a "friendly" tire shop you can always grab a set of used tires and put them on staggered rims and try.

What I don't wanna do is find out the hard way that this will actually break something in the car. That would be bad.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:54 PM
AWD monitors each tire and if a tire slips redistributes power to other tires as needed. IMO, having tires with different characteristics may confuse the AWD system. AFAIK, various car manufacturers who make AWD all recommend using the same tires. For example, Volvo came out with a bulletin regarding AWD and the need to use identical tires:

http://www.sunnmore.net/div/FHPs_SB46-0005-0101.pdf

In my old Volvo S70 AWD, I always replaces all 4 tires. Even though the rear tires were a little less worn than the front tires, doing all 4 at the same time was not only better, but more convenient as well. The only time I drove without idential tires was when using the spare for a couple of days. Short term, I don't see any issues. But long term, issues can arise.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:14 AM
I can see where if your rotational differences are different you'll run into problems and may fry the center diff after some time. However there are AWD cars with staggered setups, Porsche 911 just to name one.

My guess is that if you are absolutely positive the rotational size/circumfranceis the same you're good to go.