Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Punctured Tires - help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Punctured Tires - help

I found a metal screw in my from left tires and a wooden spike im my rear left tire. I went to American Discount Tires and they said that the front shouldn't be a problem, but the back one is close to the edge and they might not be able to fix it.

Then the guy says: Im gonna pull out the wooden stick, if the tire leaks it means that it went all the way though and might not be able to repair it. Then we also cant legally put the tire back on, so u have to either buy a new tire or put your spare on.

I wasnt willing to take a chance of spending few hundred on rear new tires (cant just replace one, especially since they didnt have my brand) Does anyone have/know of a place that can check it out for me? I think it would make more sense to unmount the tire first to check if it went all the way though before doing anything. I dont mind paying for labor of unmounting, i just dont want to get screwed on the spot because they didnt want to check first.

BTW, neither of the tires is leaking air right now.

I live in CA, West LA on the border of Santa Monica. I also go to OC frequently. Any help is appreciated.

Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Punctured Tires - help-dscn4557-custom-.jpg   Punctured Tires - help-dscn4562-custom-.jpg   Punctured Tires - help-dscn4565-custom-.jpg   Punctured Tires - help-dscn4570-custom-.jpg  
Old 04-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get it plug for 15 bucks at good year..

Old 04-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by light
get it plug for 15 bucks at good year..
Don't be foolish.

NEVER plug a tire!

The screw can be fixed, however, he was spot on about the stick. It looks right at the edge of the main belts.

Here is his delema, repairing a "speed rated" tire CAN void the speed rating. He was right in saying that he could not replace it. It would be his ass on the line.

You are best to take it to a Goodyear dealer (Eagle F1's?) and get them to look at it.

Did you get the tire warranty?

Old 04-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the front can be plugged no problem. The general rule is that a tire can only be repaired once.

However, I would check out the rear tire with the wooden spike in it.... . If it can't be repaired (doesn't sound like it), I'd put the spare on until you decide on tires. I would not drive around as is, even if the tires aren't losing any more air.

Last edited by GuyLegend; 04-01-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the exact same problem with a nail in my rear tire relatively in the same spot to the edge as yours. I went to 5 different tire shops and NOT ONE would patch it for me and they said they wouldn't do a plug. The reason for it is that there are new regulations on tire shops, not to patch a tire unless it falls within a guideline of specific treads that are shown on a chart. I've seen this chart in many tireshops. Their concern is that if the patch is placed too close to the edge of the tire, there is alot of flex which can upset the adhesion of the patch to the tire and possibly causing a blowout or tire failure. This is not to say that you can't find a shop to do it for you. I did, after much time and trying, and ended up with a plug which might be your best bet. Look for a smaller independent shop. You can also try a plug/patch instead of a plain patch. If I had a choice for that rear tire and the only 2 choices were a plain patch or a plug, I would go with the plug. The plugs these days are pretty permanent if installed properly. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the nail is too far to the edges, you're right, it can't be plugged. I'd find out what the situation on the tires are, but seems like a new set of tires may be in order.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ireRepairs.jsp

Old 04-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Anyone know of a shop that would have a look or do a plug/patch combo on it?