Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

G35 Sedan - Custom Dual Exhaust Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking G35 Sedan - Custom Dual Exhaust Installed

I just got a custom dual exhaust fabricated and installed on my car yesterday. I've been thinking about this for awhile and then all of a sudden in the past couple days I finally decided to just pay for it and do it haha.

I've always wanted dual exhaust on my car, but only the coupes come with it stock, the G35 sedans from 03' - 06' do not. You can get aftermarket kits that keep the two pipes together from the engine back, but they both come out on the same side, and it never looks or sounds right to me.

The problem with putting the dual exhaust on the G35 sedans is that on the right side of the underbody there is an evap canister. The underside of the car is completely flat, everything sits flush, so there's not really anywhere else you can put this thing without it protruding out into the ground. There's only been a few other sedans on forums i've seen who have done this conversion, and they put the evap in the truck. Totally illegal i'm pretty sure, at least where I live, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

We mounted the evap under the car where it currently was, but moved it from horizonal, to verticle, and extended some hoses. Even with that though, we couldn't fit a muffler on the right hand side unless we moved it, so, we decided just to put pipes on either side, and there's just enough room for it on the right. The setup right now under the car has the y pipe going into a muffler under the car, and then two pipes going out from that to the back. We had to cut out part of the rear valence on the right side to make it match the left, but I think it looks perfect.

Overall I'm very happy with it.

VIDEO

Last edited by Playa24_7; 09-20-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Looks nice, but how is moving the Evap to the trunk illegal? The last guy who did this put it into a air sealed box though and reported no gas smell before putting it into a box.

You have any pics of the install?

I want to do this in my sedan also :O

Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Congrats on putting in the work to do this. I really like the single exhaust on our car, the small tips on either side just seems out of place for some reason (except on Tim's ride, its bad *** and his mufflers are larger).

Any pics of the undercarriage?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Looks nice, but how is moving the Evap to the trunk illegal? The last guy who did this put it into a air sealed box though and reported no gas smell before putting it into a box.

You have any pics of the install?

I want to do this in my sedan also :O
Let me rephrase that, I'm pretty sure it's illegal, but I do not know for sure haha

I didn't put mufflers at the back, so I didn't have to move the evap to the trunk or anything like that. We just mounted it vertically on the side with a custom made bracket, extended some hoses, and it's perfect.

I don't have any pics of the actual install process unfortunately. I dropped off the car in the morning 2 days ago, and it was done by about 2pm. I need to get some pics of the underbody though.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
Congrats on putting in the work to do this. I really like the single exhaust on our car, the small tips on either side just seems out of place for some reason (except on Tim's ride, its bad *** and his mufflers are larger).

Any pics of the undercarriage?
I can always change the tips out to bigger ones and see how it looks, but they had those in stock at the time and I liked them, so I put them on. I don't mind it.

I think one reason it looks different and maybe "not right" is because it's actually just the tips and pipes, there's no mufflers on either side at all. There's one muffler under the middle of the car, the pipes come out of that and go back on either side. I couldn't fit a muffler on the right hand side unless I totally moved the evap to another area. We just mounted it vertically in the same place, and this created enough room to put a pipe past it, but barely.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also believe that our single sided dual staggered tips looks better than dual. But, maybe if you get the rear Nismo skirt, it may look flush. I believe 3A tips are good value. Nevertheless, its good to see something different.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
That things pretty loud lol Looks cool.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by LyricallySick
I also believe that our single sided dual staggered tips looks better than dual. But, maybe if you get the rear Nismo skirt, it may look flush. I believe 3A tips are good value. Nevertheless, its good to see something different.
Yeah the rear skirt doesn't look the best, but we just matched the right side with the opening on the left so it wouldn't look that bad. The opening on the left was bigger, made for 2 tips, so it's kinda too big, but I think if I get a different rear skirt then it will look better. Some time down the road maybe lol

Old 09-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course. I wasnt by no mean criticizing your idea, just disappointed with Infiniti to alteast have the skirts painted from the factory. However, you should paint yours for the the time being, and it will flow much better.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Of course. I wasnt by no mean criticizing your idea, just disappointed with Infiniti to alteast have the skirts painted from the factory. However, you should paint yours for the the time being, and it will flow much better.
having all the skirts the same color lowers cost so that's probably why they did that. Then later on color matched them

Old 09-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I really like that look. It's exactly how I'd do it too, though I would have added some Borla bullet mufflers and some resonated tips. It really sounds good. Loud, but good.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I Have a question has anyone try to swap over the coupe under parts?or 350z? or even compared them to the sedans...I havent put much thought or checked it out.just curious

Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 AM
looks cool I always wanted to do it, how much you spend? you pay for labor or you install yourself?

Old 09-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
LOL I had the same reaction as your friend....its so loud but sounds so cool I just wanted to laugh. While I wouldn't do it to my car, I think its kinda cool. Only thing is that the lack of a resonator brought the rasp level really high.....but congrats on the new setup!

Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm w/ you. I'm a big fan of dual exhausts on a sports sedan/car/coupe, but just doesn't sit right as shown here on the sedan....the tips are too small here and looks like they stick out too far, but could be the angle from the picts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan - Custom Dual Exhaust Installed