My Car had a little plastic surgery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
My Car had a little plastic surgery

As some of you know, my car has been under the knife for the past several weeks… Auto Explosion has done a tremendous job changing up parts of my car pretty much spot on to what I told them I wanted – I couldn’t ask for a more accommodating shop & they are full of talent!

SouthbayGsedan/Darren, caskyline/Randy and rookie/Viet; thanks a million for all your help, advice and support! I know I’ve been a pita at times, but I really appreciate the help you have given me!!!

All of the body work is done and the car has been painted – the shop is wet sanding and putting finishing pieces back together… it might be a while before I have photos of the completed project… but Darren and I took pics of the progress as it happened – I thought some of you might be interested in checking it out…

Fenders:

One of my biggest pet-peeves about current new vehicles are the flat fender edges… some think its to help strengthen the thin aluminum, others think its to help get the extra 1 mpg that the government is pressuring manufactures to do, some say its just manufacturers following what someone originated… all I know is its f-ing UGLY!!! And for some reason Nissan made the flat area real big (as compared to many other makes).

So a little of this:

And some of this:

Sprinkled with this:

Results in no more flat fender edges!

And of course the nemesis of all sedan owners, the dreaded door moldings

Gotta ditch them!

A Kurookie bumper is nothing without rookie’s side skirts – I had mine molded into the fender and quarter panels – also, had the front and rear slightly curved to follow shape of wheel well (bottom edge of front bumper wheel well was curved back as well):

And of course to flow with the Nisrookie/Rookismo (whatever the name is gonna be) sides, I had to find something for the rear bumper… I had a piece molded in:

No lines FTW!!!

Those that know me, know I don’t like the “cat ear” turn signals on the 03-06 sedans… so a while back I did a first by omitting the top blinker and making the LEDs blink (the taillight/brake light)… but it didn’t look quite right – so I figured make the top look like its part of the quarter panel – and might as well mold the trunk lip to flow across the taillight/quarter panel:

WTF is he doing???:

Oh, I see… it’s a hood cowl:

Quite a while back I had cams & headers installed… even though the headers are Jet Hot coated, they still create a tremendous amount of heat! I’ve data logged intake temps on street and track and they are stupid hot… I’ve tried a number of things to get it under control and nothing has really helped much – so I figured venting the hood would help… I don’t really think hood “vents” look right for my style/theme – so a hood cowl was molded in… there are only 3 cut outs in the hood and the aren’t real big… plus the cowl is only 1” high – so I’m not sure how much this will help, but I’m hopeful…

So… some funny things happened while the car was going through this transformation… it kinda took on a life of its own… I really didn’t intend to do all these things – there was a small delay and the car was sitting – so caskyline worked his magic making things disappear and I had the shop weld empty holes and mold some things in... I’ll post engine bay pics later – its another little project that will be done soon, in the mean time here are pics of the body work:

Also, during the car’s down time I had Master Interior Wizard, Chuy take out my headliner, and A,B,C pillars to wrap in black suede (fixing another part of the car I never liked, tan upper interior with black lower)… Also having him fix the crappy plastic armrests by making them padded leather… I’ll post pics of that later... but for now here's my custom interior

So all that was done and mid last week the car was prepped for paint:

So that’s my car’s little project – I hope you like it (or at least find it interesting)… I’ll update this thread with final painted pics later…

Edit:
Okay - sorry this post ended up being so long, but I figured it's better to post finished pics here than later in the thread that might get buried... Most ppl hav seen these pics in other threads already

Photos by Calvin:

Photos by Grant aka gdup35Sedan (gp.photography)

there some other less quality pics in "my garage"

crappy cell phone pics of interior can be found here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/4662107-post152.html

Last edited by OCG35; 10-28-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Holy Shiet! You have done some amazing things with your car before, but now... you are a god... Congrats Mike... I cant wait to see the finished project... I envy you so much. You do the un-thinkable and bring it to life!

Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
thats aweome man! tons of work there

Old 07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car looks sick bro....keep it up....definatly different!

Old 07-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Wow, that is utterly amazing.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:10 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice...

Old 07-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Alot of work Mike (and time/$!). But your mods always look good. Hope to see the finished pics. I assume you took the opportunity to change up the color also?

Old 07-06-2009, 05:15 PM
can't wait to see the final product...looks good..

tails? TSX or TL???
and i like how u just left your VOLKS to get all dusty and worked on in the shop like they were blackies/stockies.LOL

Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BADASS!!! Can't wait to see more.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
omg i can't wait till it's done, gonna look amazing!

Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
that rear end is just gonna be OFFFFFFFFF THEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK

molded is the new flush. LOL! love it!

yeah and your interior is in good hands

Old 07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
So, did you just have the lips eliminated or did you have the fenders flared out?

If flared, does that mean new wheels with bigger lipage are on their way?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Wow thats nuts

Hate to see what the bill looks like

Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
WOW. Looks damn good. Be nice to see the finished product. What color are you going to paint it?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Wow, you did a complete overhaul.

Looking good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Car had a little plastic surgery