Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev up Airbox vs other intakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rev up Airbox vs other intakes?

Sorry if this has been asked before (don't flame me ), but after searching I haven't been able to find the answer I want yet.

I can't decide whether to buy a K&N Filter and Rev Up airbox or get an aftermarket intake... I was looking at the Stillen one (because it has an airbox unlike the JWT) or the R2C (which looks to be the best but I haven't heard too much about it).

Will any of the aftermarket ones make me lose any power or make the car sluggish in the lower RPMs? From what I understand, the new airbox cover will give me a little bit more power in the lower RPMs (probably not noticeable) and a deeper sound. How does this compare to the Stillen/R2C?

Last edited by nate911; 01-15-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
The aftermarket intakes that lose power are the ones that are a short ram and have heat soak.

Honestly, I think the revup airbox is very slightly better, if at all. Not worth what you would pay.

I have the stillen intake but I'm using a JWT pop charger. The jwt heat shield doesn't block enough heat plus the venturi ring on it is metal and isn't shielded. The stillen air box is the next best thing to the stock airbox. I wrapped mine with some heat shield tape and my intake air temps are right about where stock intake temps are. Much better air volume though.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
The aftermarket intakes that lose power are the ones that are a short ram and have heat soak.

Honestly, I think the revup airbox is very slightly better, if at all. Not worth what you would pay.

I have the stillen intake but I'm using a JWT pop charger. The jwt heat shield doesn't block enough heat plus the venturi ring on it is metal and isn't shielded. The stillen air box is the next best thing to the stock airbox. I wrapped mine with some heat shield tape and my intake air temps are right about where stock intake temps are. Much better air volume though.
So you think the aftermarket intakes are a better buy than the Revup airbox? Have you heard anything about the R2C intake? And the popcharger/Stillen airbox keeps the car's response the same as stock at lower RPMs?

(Sorry for all the questions )

Old 01-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I have a revup air box for sale - used for one week (tells you what I think of the thing)....

Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
I have a revup air box for sale - used for one week (tells you what I think of the thing)....
Well then...did it not do anything noticeable? Or what?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a revup and moved to the JWT. noticable difference right after install, then drove around and i guess the heat soak showed up and it felt like stock.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
if i were you and you are not concerned with it looks shiny. i would just get a drop in knn filter and keep the stock airbox and get a ztube. none of the aftermarket set ups are going to do any better than the knn drop in. save yourself lots of money

Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by bluemax189
i have a revup and moved to the JWT. noticable difference right after install, then drove around and i guess the heat soak showed up and it felt like stock.
Yeah, that's what I've heard about the JWT--heatsoak. (which is why I'm looking at the Stillen/R2C)

Originally Posted by kennymo
if i were you and you are not concerned with it looks shiny. i would just get a drop in knn filter and keep the stock airbox and get a ztube. none of the aftermarket set ups are going to do any better than the knn drop in. save yourself lots of money
I'm not really expecting (noticeable) performance gains, just a different sound. I just don't want to lose performance. I may just get the Z Tube for now and if I want something new add in the aftermarket intake.

Can anybody else comment on the R2C or Stillen intake?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
buy it from this guy. He should sell it for cheap since he is obviously not a fan.

Don't worry about his opinion. He is almost always wrong and this is no exception.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much you want for it

Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
you will get plenty of a sound difference with the knn drop in and ztube

Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Hmm. I may just get the Z-Tube right now then decide if I want an intake later...
I'd like some more opinions on the Stillen/R2C intakes and Revup airbox...

Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PTownG
buy it from this guy. He should sell it for cheap since he is obviously not a fan.

Don't worry about his opinion. He is almost always wrong and this is no exception.
Just because he is adament about a lot of things are there are people that disagree with him does NOT mean his is wrong. He has tried everytihng in the world on his G and has dyno'd 20 times more than those who always disagree with him. There is a reason why he kept the mods he has.

Heat soak is a killer. JWT uses a metal heat shield (conducts heat) and a metal velocity stack. Both will conduct heat and cause the dreaded heat soak. You just need to find a better way to shield from heat. Queue the HEAT SHIELD TAPE that I use. Think about it.

You won't lose power with the JWT but most people with the Injen do.

Long tube CAI (not short ram) lose throttle response and it has been proven that air 0-18" off the ground is normally higher in temp than 18-36"

Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
OP, please read the link posted by Jeff. It will answer nearly all your questions.

I'll just add that most of the quickest and fastest NA Gs and Zs run the OEM and Revup airboxes. They are not restrictions. I absolutely love the Revup airbox. The sound and driveability are worth the $90 price.

As for "shielding heat", it's not going to do much. The issue is heated air in the engine compartment. You can shield from radient heat, but all the shields in the world won't help the fact that the underhood temps are 120+ degrees at a stop or slow roll.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev up Airbox vs other intakes?