Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

What is this? Brake dust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this? Brake dust?

I just washed my car for the first time and while washing the wheels I noticed what looks like black spray paint all over the inside of the wheels. Its just a mist . I tried to get it off with brake dust remover but it wont come off. I dont think its brake dust, what could it be? I tried to post a picture but it was too big. I will post a smaller one tomorrow. Ive only had the car for a month.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey...same problem here!! 2 of the 4 tires seem "dirty" except what ever it is never comes off! For me anyways, it seems to be "ünder" the clearcoat!

My dealer says its normal...I think he's full of it...ive read elsewhere in this forum that certain wheel cleaners can cause this?? Either way, I did not do this to my wheels-purchased car this way...Could of been dealership when washing cars...and I think I (we), might be SOL as far as warranty coverage goes.

The photos dont really do it justice and I had to limit the pics sizes for posting, but if you look along the lip of the rim you can see dark blotches...its these kind of markings and some spray-like ones that are readily apparent to the naked eye.

Attached Thumbnails What is this?   Brake dust?-first.jpg   What is this?   Brake dust?-second.jpg  
Old 03-17-2005, 07:10 AM
yes.. that looks like the problem I have. I still can not take a picture thats under 100k! I took the car to the dealer last nite for them to look at, they said thats the way its supposed to be. It only seems to be on the inside of the wheel, very odd.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like brake dust or some kind of grime deposited onto the clear coat. Did you try washing aggressively with a sponge and some soap? If it doesn't come off, I question what the stains are.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Old 03-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Hmmm... I am out of answers! Try gently scratching it off with your finger nail. If all fails, I suggest going back to the dealer.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Looks like overspray gents! I know the stock 18's off the 03-04's have a white primer, black second layer, then color, then clear. It looks like a case where the wheel manufacturer wasn't as concerned with finishing the inside of the wheel!

Old 03-17-2005, 01:38 PM
After closer inspection I agree with you Diesel1. It looks like they didnt spray enough silver paint over the black. Not very good quality wheels. Oh well...lets hope the rest of the car is not as bad...

Old 03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I can see how that could of happened now that you mention it Diesel...Im taking her in to a second dealership in a week or so (as soon as I think I wont be walloped with anymore snow) and this dealership, after hearing of my problem over the phone, as vowed that he "will take care of it"....we shall see...
I will post results....thanks all!

Old 03-17-2005, 04:15 PM
► Matt ◄
did either of you try a clay bar? Try that as a last resort before you bring it to the dealer.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:25 PM
the only other thing you're likely to have there is grease from the brake pad shims.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:12 PM
It could actually be the metal particles from your pads. Hard braking makes little red hot embers fly all over the place and embed in the paint on your wheels.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:58 AM
whats strange is that if you run your hands over these blemishes you will not feel anything- its as smooth as silk- Like Diesel said in his reply...it seems to be under the clearcoat.... I hope that is the case then maybe I will have a leg to stand on as far as warrranty goes....

Old 03-18-2005, 01:59 PM
In my opinion shodog hit it right.
Two issues with the paint finish -- from a professional's point of view (I've already had the dealer get mine repainted)
1. Thin application of clear coat - allows salt and other road chemicals to stain paint once top clear coat has been compromised.
2. Hot brake dust embedding into finish and compromising the top coat.
A year after refinishing, wheels look as bad or worse. I'm turning mine into winter wheels and get some quality finished wheels for summer.

Last edited by BbyG35; 03-18-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Well, just returned from dealer...says it was caused by an acid-cream based wheel cleaner that some dealerships use. That in itself was not the problem...the problem was who ever used this stuff left it on too long and it ate through the clear coat and attacked the finish.

Long story short...the dealership from whom I bought the car denies there ever being a problem and therefore they are not willing to pay for the refinishing (which im told will cost approx $200 cdn each) and its not covered by the warranty...obviously.

So I guess I will try HQ next...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is this? Brake dust?