DIY: Stealth Mac mini install and eD speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Back in SD**

Received 63 Likes on 8 Posts
The sound is great. Although at lower volumes there is a slight alternator wine in the Pac AAI-Nis2. Considering I'm using the stock Clarion head unit it has very good quality. With the computer I have a multiple level equalizer so the sound is much better than stock once you've set it up to your liking. I have listened to head unit CD Player when the computer had frozen (the power switch on the comp is in the rear; now I have a fuse I can pull ). Couldn't wait to get the computer back up due to the lowered quality.

Note: the computer has only locked up a couple of times during the summer, when the car had been sitting in the sun for a while. So, I think it overheated. This has never happened when the car was running. I have the computer set to run for 15 mins after I turn off the ignition. I should probably make it go into sleep mode instantly and this problem would probably go away.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psedog
The sound is great. Although at lower volumes there is a slight alternator wine in the Pac AAI-Nis2. Considering I'm using the stock Clarion head unit it has very good quality. With the computer I have a multiple level equalizer so the sound is much better than stock once you've set it up to your liking. I have listened to head unit CD Player when the computer had frozen (the power switch on the comp is in the rear; now I have a fuse I can pull ). Couldn't wait to get the computer back up due to the lowered quality.

Note: the computer has only locked up a couple of times during the summer, when the car had been sitting in the sun for a while. So, I think it overheated. This has never happened when the car was running. I have the computer set to run for 15 mins after I turn off the ignition. I should probably make it go into sleep mode instantly and this problem would probably go away.
Do you have any more information on this install? i may have missed it but how do you have it set for startup and such? I was considering a custom car pc in the rear center console. (Plexiglas cover rather than stock so i could have fans but still cover when i don't want sh*t jacked). Even a mac mini in that location would be sick. This is a great idea.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Back in SD**

The power supply is tapped into the power switch. You can set it to send the computer into standby as soon as you turn off your ignition or after 15 minutes. When you turn your car back on it will bring the mac out of standby. I've only rebooted it a handful of times in the last year and it's still working pretty well. If you need any other info, let me know.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Your a big help. I know it may sound kind of stupid but what is required to be done to the speakers? i think im missing something (dumb me). You leave the computer always running even with the car off? Never had battery problems?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Back in SD**

Originally Posted by Inversed
Your a big help. I know it may sound kind of stupid but what is required to be done to the speakers? i think im missing something (dumb me). You leave the computer always running even with the car off? Never had battery problems?
No, the computer isn't fully running when the car is off. It is set to standby. Which drains only a small percentage of power. The power supply is smart enough to shut the computer completely off if the battery reaches dangerously low voltages. I have sat and listened to my sound system for several hours and when the computer shuts down, I know it's time to start the engine.
Nothing is required to be done to your speakers. With the PAC AAI-NIS2 it gives the factory head unit (Radio) 2 RCA inputs. You access the sound off of the RCA's through the Satellite button on your radio.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Im a technology nerd and thats some crazy sh*t haha. It is an ingenious idea especially considering the car will be sold eventually. The only thing that makes me wonder is if a custom pc build or just going with an aftermarket hu and rigging a nice big hard drive would be more effective.
Thanks for the help, you know your stuff!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 PM
The mac minis are just expensive compared to a custom car pc i could build. Regardless since im two doors short of your ride i have that read center console either would fit in nice especially with a custom plexi cover and fans.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Back in SD**

Actually the Mac mini was the cheapest option for me. Especially if you consider the size. For 400 bucks you really can't beat it, especially since I bought it a year ago. Thanks to front row, I don't have to do any special programming to get my main tasks to work with the remote. I really don't use the touch screen all that much. If I'm in cover flow then I'll use it to switch songs.
I could have easily grabbed my extra motherboard, CPU, CD Drive, and peripherals and installed them, but placement would have been an issue. Wife + 2 little ones, means I need all the room I can get, know what I mean.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by psedog
Actually the Mac mini was the cheapest option for me. Especially if you consider the size. For 400 bucks you really can't beat it, especially since I bought it a year ago. Thanks to front row, I don't have to do any special programming to get my main tasks to work with the remote. I really don't use the touch screen all that much. If I'm in cover flow then I'll use it to switch songs.
I could have easily grabbed my extra motherboard, CPU, CD Drive, and peripherals and installed them, but placement would have been an issue. Wife + 2 little ones, means I need all the room I can get, know what I mean.
absolutely. I would of course do a mini atx and such, wouldn't be much bigger than the mini. I may do a shuttle case but regardless of what cpu the ideas great.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yo eddie whats up with your pictures ?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Back in SD**

I changed my website and I am starting from scratch. I'll fix it in a few minutes. I didn't realize I had severed the links.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Back in SD**

Finally fixed, sorry

Old 01-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks

Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 PM
whats that plastic tube cover you have over the speaker face???? fill me in on that

Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Back in SD**

It was for the bandpass setup. Think about those bose subs and you will notice a similar design. It made it about 200% louder and deeper. Unfortunately, after a couple years of abuse from the eD 13Ov it finally gave way. Now I have two fiberglass enclosures that I built myself

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Stealth Mac mini install and eD speakers