Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

"Big 3" Wire upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
"Big 3" Wire upgrade

Many people recommend upgrading the "big 3", battery negative to chassis, alternator to positive, and engine to chassis. These are supposed to help with voltage flucuations and light dimming in high amperage sound systems. Has anyone done these modifications and noticed any differences? I was wondering if it was similar to the grounding wire kits that are offered, I wasn't sure if those were the same lines that were added in those kits. Since Wiring is relatively cheap, it would be a good upgrade if it makes a difference in audio performance.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Search. There have been 2 other posts about this in the last month (with the same exact title). The grounding kits offered by members on this forum do not provide all of the "big 3". The one wire missing in all of these kits is the alternator-to-positive battery post. Actually I don't believe any of the kits have a negative post-to-chasis upgrade either. However the daisy chain that the kits create would provide this path in a round-about way. I have done the "big 3" upgrade and have found it to increase the efficiency of my electircal system. I used to have alot of jerking when my bass hit, then upgraded these wires. It smoothed it out a little, but still needed more improvement. I got an Optima Yellow-Top, and this solved 99.9% of the issue. My last step is to upgrade the rest of the grounding wires in the system. I expect this to completely fix the problem.