Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Another iPod Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another iPod Install

I'm about to hardwire my new 5G 30GB iPod into my 2005 G35 Sedan with Bose & XM.

I just ordered the PAC AAI-NIS2 ($79 off Ebay) and an <a href="http://www.davidnavone.com/ipodadapters.htm" target="new">N-IPOD AVDoc adapter</a> from DavidNavone.com that will connect to the RCA plugs and charge the iPod all through a dock connector. David is very nice, helpful and fast with email responses.

I will install it using the <a href="https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99632" target="new">iPod Install DIY</a> from <a href="https://g35driver.com/forums/member.php?u=21268" target="new">bradakrez</a>. The only difference will be the N-IPOD AVDoc instead of the Belkin Adapter.

I'll post pics when the parts arrive.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Here's the RCA/Power adapter from www.davidnavone.com.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

sweet!!! so you have the video ipod and it looks like that connector just plugs into the bottom!!! gudluck....let me know how it goes!..im thinking of buying an ipod video too!

Old 06-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I have the video iPod, but I don't have any video screen. I bought this adapter in case I ever add a video screen.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by AlphaG35
I'm about to hardwire my new 5G 30GB iPod into my 2005 G35 Sedan with Bose & XM.

I just ordered the PAC AAI-NIS2 ($79 off Ebay) and an <a href="http://www.davidnavone.com/ipodadapters.htm" target="new">N-IPOD AVDoc adapter</a> from DavidNavone.com that will connect to the RCA plugs and charge the iPod all through a dock connector. David is very nice, helpful and fast with email responses.

I will install it using the <a href="https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99632" target="new">iPod Install DIY</a> from <a href="https://g35driver.com/forums/member.php?u=21268" target="new">bradakrez</a>. The only difference will be the N-IPOD AVDoc instead of the Belkin Adapter.

I'll post pics when the parts arrive.
any pics of the finished product?
I am about to follow your lead and do similar?
thanks.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Haven't received the two adapters yet. Hopefully will be getting them this weekend. I'll post as soon as it's done.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Any idea which wire (green or black) on the back of the cigarette lighter I would splice/solder into for the 12V power wire (red) from the iPod adapter?

Old 06-26-2006, 01:27 AM
u should get the itrip its so easy and not exspensive

Old 06-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The iTrips suck. I have had one that I used on my old car and I've tried it in the G and it just sounds like crap. Hard Wired is the best option by far. I may cost a little money but your ears will thank you.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by PitchedBlackG
u should get the itrip its so easy and not exspensive
iTrip is horrible

Old 06-26-2006, 02:57 PM
i know there is an issue if you have an 03 w/ bose b.c there is no sat. button until the 2003.5, but is there a cd changer control plug in the back of the headunit? i know mp3yourcar.com has an adapter but u need that cd changer control wire and im not sure if i have it or not...can anyone help?

Old 06-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by 03NJg35
i know there is an issue if you have an 03 w/ bose b.c there is no sat. button until the 2003.5, but is there a cd changer control plug in the back of the headunit? i know mp3yourcar.com has an adapter but u need that cd changer control wire and im not sure if i have it or not...can anyone help?
Try making your own post about your question. Don't hijack onto this post. Thanks!

I should be doing the install tonight and taking some pics. Will post tomorrow most likely.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Huge mistake during the install. I wired the black ground to the black ground on the lighter. The voltage meter wasn’t giving me the usual 14V reading that I found before the install (should have stopped there). Then I plugged in the iPod to test the power…fried the iPod completely. More on that later. Then I realized what a dumbass I was and found a screw that was screwed into the metal body and used that for the ground wire. The voltage meter then read the 14V.

So, the iPod was fried. Luckily I just bought it 20 days ago and I replaced it at Best Buy – no problems there. So, now I have the adapter hooked up to the PAC AAI-NIS2 but I can’t get the "charging icon" on the iPod screen. I don’t think the inline fuse is blown (the filament is still in 1 piece). I did plug in the new iPod on the way home – no charging icon. I will try it later after loading the iPod with my tunes. The XM works and on XM1, presets 1 and 2 are silent as per the expected outcome with the AAI-NIS2 hooked up. Preset 1 becomes the iPod channel.

Any ideas besides giving me grief about the proper ways to wire?

EDIT: Found that the fuse in the driver foot panel was broken. Will check the inline fuse tomorrow in the daylight.

Last edited by AlphaG35; 06-27-2006 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:39 PM
I did not take pictures of all the steps because bradakrez already did the big stuff. I am posting pics of things I did differently with my different adapter.

My car:

The parts:

Before:

The iPod resting place (tray in center console bucket):

Going into the center console:

Old 06-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Couldn't figure out how to lift out the center console, so I used a wire hanger to pull the adapter plugs from the armrest bucket towards the stereo:

Pulled it through:

Trial fitting:

Trial fitting:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another iPod Install