Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sirius activation problem - pre-owned G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sirius activation problem - pre-owned G35

Hello everyone, we're new to this site and new to our pre-owned 2004 G35x.

We've been trying to get the Sirius radio activated and are having trouble changing the channel to 184 to complete the process. We've searched the forum (cursorily) and have failed to find a previous mention of this issue.

When we use the Tune button in fast mode (by holding it down), we can see the channels whizzing by ... but as soon as we release it it reverts to 000. Trying to change channels one at a time does nothing (stays at 000). The display is often interrupted by the phone number and the radio id. We've called them and set up an account and arranged payment, but can't complete the process because we can't tune channel 184. The presets work (previous owner's favs, I guess), sadly none are for channel 184.

This radio installation was presumably working even while the car was being sold (at least the salesguy implied that fact) and simply required re-activation.

Any hints? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as your receiving signal and can hear something, you should be ok.

I just activated my radio and couldn't tune to 184 either. It was up and running within a few minutes.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Sirius telephone activation wanted me to tune to that channel to complete the activation. When I told them I could not, they said to call back when I could.

Did you have the same symptoms I have? Perhaps this is the normal for a non-activated radio?

Old 06-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Solved

I called the telephone activation back and asked them to simply send the activation anyway (even though I could not change channels).

I shut-off the ignition and started the car (not sure if this was needed - just read it in another post) ... and now I can change channels and am receiving just fine. Activation apparently worked. It would appear that this symptom is the norm for a non-activated radio.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 PM
I had the same issue. Turns out that the reciever locks up after the 3 months free trial of sirius. The only way to cure the problem is for Infiniti to order you a new reciever.

This is covered by warrenty...just had mine done.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Igor911
I had the same issue. Turns out that the reciever locks up after the 3 months free trial of sirius. The only way to cure the problem is for Infiniti to order you a new reciever.

This is covered by warrenty...just had mine done.

Our receiver is different than what Sirius is used to dealing with. Channel 184 doesn't do anything. Yes after 3 months it does lock you out, but you don't need to get a new receiver. You just have to call them and tell the person to stay on the line with you until it programs. Have them activate it SEVERAL times. They get annoyed with you, but sometimes its the only way to get it going...

Old 06-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Our receiver is different than what Sirius is used to dealing with. Channel 184 doesn't do anything. Yes after 3 months it does lock you out, but you don't need to get a new receiver. You just have to call them and tell the person to stay on the line with you until it programs. Have them activate it SEVERAL times. They get annoyed with you, but sometimes its the only way to get it going...
Not true, we tried activating my about 10 times and nothing...stayed on 000

Old 06-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Igor911
Not true, we tried activating my about 10 times and nothing...stayed on 000
Our receiver is different. As long as you don't get a "no signal" message and can get the Sirius phone number, you are set to receive the activation signal.

I have Nissan Sirius units (made by Clarion BTW) in both of my G's. After the 3 month trial, one unit quit working and I got it replaced but the other one activated again with no problem.

The funny thing is that the unit that was replaced was replaced by a refurbished unit that was still activated in someone else's name. Sirius had to call that guy to verify that he no longer had the unit.

BTW, the Sirius call center is not in the US. When I asked, they said it was in the carribean.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Smalt or Igor,
Did you ever get this resolved? I just bought a preowned 05 G35x and am having the exact same issue that Igor described. After a number of calls Sirius finally told me that they think the tuner is defective and I should speak to the dealer - am hoping this is not the case... Was hoping to hear how this played out for you both. Thx.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Infiniti ordered a new tuner for me

Old 02-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the response - I brought mine in to the dealer yesterday and they ordered me a new receiver as well. I appreciate your help.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes...I am bumping a 4+ year old thread. The previous owner had Sirius and now that I've had the car for two months and become completely hooked on it, it expired or was cancelled. I called the number, paid, and it will not activate. I keep sending the refresh myself from their website, but it has been hours and still isn't working. My next step is to call Sirius back. Any other ideas?

BTW, this is the only thread I found regarding this issue. If there is a better answer or three, please point me to it.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Just call sirius..

Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I called them. It took about 20 minutes on the phone and several activation attempts but we got it. They kept trying to get me off the phone before it was complete so I followed the advice on here to persist that we stay on the no one until complete and it finally went through,