Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

dynamat, big difference in sq or no?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dynamat, big difference in sq or no?

i have my system pretty much done, a few more things to tweak here and there and i'm ready to start my next project. But before I do. I would like to ask those of you who've sound deadened their car. Is there a substantial difference in sound quality after dynamatting just the 2 front doors? I plan on starting with the doors 1st, and then if i like the results i will continue and do my trunk.

How well does dynamat seal out the sound from the outside while driving?

Will the dynamat extreme door kit be enough for 2 doors on a coupe?

Is it hard to apply, also is it easy to remove? Not like i plan to, but curious.

How long will it take to do 2 doors?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Dynamat doesn't make your sound system sound better, it just reduces the effect of outside noise on your inside environment. I started by Dynamating my front doors. I was so blown away by the difference, I quickly bought a snootfull more and did the back doors, back seats, rear deck and trunk. Well worth the bucks IMO!

Old 08-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the doors and the speakers do sound better. I don't notice it being any quieter inside. I think doing the backseat and trunk area will make the most improvement in making the car quieter.
As far as how difficult the doors are to do, It's not that hard. Once you remove the screw at the inside door handle and the two behind the silver armrest pull, pull off the panel from below where the clips hold on the bottom part of the door panel. Remove the two handle cables and wiring harness' and you'll see the interior door metal panel. There will be three large round black stick on covers over some holes about 2/3rd's of the way down the door. Take off those three round black covers. Hook the window switch back up to the wiring harness and lower the window untill you can see a bolt head in all three holes. Use a 10mm socket wrench and undo the 3 screws. BUT, BEFORE YOU REMOVE the screws, use a black sharpie and trace the washer under the bolt to the window regulator, so when you reassemble it, the window will be in the correct position. You can now pull the window glass out completely, pulling up on the backside first. With the glass out, undo the 14 screws holding the inner door panel on and the whole panel with window regulator will come out as an assembly. Now you have a big empty shell of a door to put your Dynamat in with out having to work your way around anything. Once you're done Dynamating, just reassemble. It sounds like it's hard, but it's really a simple system and it took me about an hour to do each door. It took a lot longer to install the new speakers, MB Quart PCE-216's and crossovers.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Actually it reduces effects of noises from the inside as well. ( metal, plastic in interior of car) They actually have a different type which is specifically to reduce ground noise and such. I'm going to use cascade audio on my trunk, rear quarters, and door panels. I've been told it sounds much cleaner afterwards, which I believe since I have a lil rattling without it.

Originally Posted by sliderg35
Dynamat doesn't make your sound system sound better, it just reduces the effect of outside noise on your inside environment. I started by Dynamating my front doors. I was so blown away by the difference, I quickly bought a snootfull more and did the back doors, back seats, rear deck and trunk. Well worth the bucks IMO!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Sound dampening greatly improves the sound quality and reduces outsite noise. Here are some before and after sound dampening on a g-35 coupe we did. The Trunk,trunk lid, back deck, doors, and back seat area were all dampened. Hope this helps.

http://www.jmlaudio.com/infiniti%20installations.htm

Old 08-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by jmlaudio
Sound dampening greatly improves the sound quality and reduces outsite noise. Here are some before and after sound dampening on a g-35 coupe we did. The Trunk,trunk lid, back deck, doors, and back seat area were all dampened. Hope this helps.

thats one awesome install you guys did...also i'm really diggin that custom ipod holder you guys made..do you have them readily available??

Old 08-26-2006, 11:19 AM
It's a must unless you like to hear rattles and buzzing with your side of bass.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by jmlaudio

Nice work. It appears from the pix that you put the "Dyna-mat" on the inside surface of the doors without disassembling them. True, or did you put it on the inside also?

Old 08-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the compliments about our clients G-35 coupe set up. As far as the Custom Ipod mounting systems they are made to order. We also did put some sound dampening on the inner skin of the door as well as deflex pads to defuse speaker backwave.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 PM
jrc
Anyone have some suggestions for someone with a near stock Bose setup? I ordered the DYNAMAT Xtreme Bulk Pack 36 sq ft as it was a good buy, but I am not sure of the best place to put it other than the doors. I will be replacing the door speakers with some Infinity Kappas 60.7cs, but otherwise everything else will remain stock. Without a sub in the trunk, is it still a good idea to do that area, or is it a better idea to focus on the back deck/side panels?

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:07 PM
After the doors, front wheel wells and rear wheel wells to eliminate road roar. Prolly the best places to put the mat on if you don't have a sub.