Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Good quality RCAs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good quality RCAs?

So, if I was interested in a good set of RCA cables from my deck's preamps to my amp's inputs, what should I be looking for? I am not a fan of the "Monster Audio" crap... but I'm willing to spend that sort of $ on a set if they were worth it.

My RCAs are definately not going to be the weakest link in my system, but I figure I mine as well put in a good set considering I'm driving a $30k+ car.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:35 AM
bah - i got a set of 10 year old rca's connecting my bass.....sounds just like a set of 200 dollar ones. Although im sure if its for mid's and high's it would probbaly make a difference.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
After much searching, I've decided on Stinger Helix. I feel it is a good compromise, and it has all of the qualities I was looking for. You should also check out Knuconcepts (or whatever) if you are looking for a nice cable @ a good price. Check out these guys:
http://stores.ebay.com/Bag-Boy-Home-...r-Audio-Wiring

I have purchased MANY things from them, and they are excellent (pricing and service). They also have 100% positive feedback with over 28,000 transactions. If you can find them, the Lightning Audio Storm series is good too.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radio shack =P

Old 08-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ebay.

Last edited by johnadlertech; 08-25-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this going to be connected to the stock deck or aftermarket? If you are just splicing into the bose wiring, just make your own. Go to parts express and buy a coupe feet of their dayton mic wire, which has 2 wires surrounded by copper braiding, and buy a set of solder on rca connectors and you are good to go. Throw on some heatshrink, and it'll look as good and perform as well as any of the other rcas out there

Old 08-25-2006, 01:21 PM
This is for connecting an AVH-6800DVD to a 500/5.

Thanks for the feedback all. I'll probably go the Helix route.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:28 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
http://knukonceptz.com/

i have their wiring

Old 08-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Cheapest ones you can find.

I have my $20 16ft RCA's running next to my power wires all the way back to the amps and have absolutely no noise at all.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you know how to solder I would suggest gotham, mogami or canare with either switchcraft or canare plugs. Cable capacitance in mogami cables is better than great. If you don't diy, Mogami has some gold or nickel premolded cables which are available at redco.com.

direct link: http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayprod...28gold+ends%29

Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by badbread
Cheapest ones you can find.

I have my $20 16ft RCA's running next to my power wires all the way back to the amps and have absolutely no noise at all.
just because your install doesn't have noise doesn't make $20 16ft RCAs a reasonable answer.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
just because your install doesn't have noise doesn't make $20 16ft RCAs a reasonable answer.

Sorry, I briefly skimmed over your first post.
Why are you upgrading your RCA's?

If your looking for better SQ then upgrading the RCA's should be one of the last things you do. I have been a member over at elitecaraudio.com for 7 years and have seen countless debates about SQ RCA's and your regular old $20 RCA's.

I would advise tuning/tweaking your system to a point where you would maybe hear the miniscule difference in SQ you would get from upgrading to $200-$5000 set of RCA's.

A lot people rave about Kimber Kable (www.kimber.com)
http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.sto.../View/1055&2D1

Take a look at this post:
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showt...hreadid=134364

Here is a quote from "mach_y" on that forum:
You know the saying about free advice, but here goes anyway... a few points IMHO to consider (about general installs)

1) The install is 90% of what matters (a great install can make "bad" speakers sound good, and a bad install can make great speakers sound terrible).

2) Signal processing (EQ, time alignment, etc) is a bandaid that should be used as the finishing touches. This goes back to my first point... the better the install, the less processing should be required to "fix" things.

3) It doesn't matter what an RTA, computer, etc says... what matters is the person listening to it (you, and you only, unless you are competing

JL's flash tutorial does not show you how to balance the output of your speakers... it shows you how to set your gains so that when you turn your HU to 3/4 volume you do make the amp clip the signal. This is a good thing, but not something that will equally balance the sound output from the sub, mid and tweeter.

Let's start at the beginning though... the install. If you are willing to install your front components in a different location (kick panels), that will do more for your sound stage than all other things you could do combined. Getting the front stage speakers properly imaged without processing is incredibly important to proper soundstage. Here is how I did it two installs ago in my car (in your case you would have both speakers in the kick though. Once I had them mounted on plumbers strapping, I spent a few weeks driving around like that, playing with the direction of the drivers in the kickpanel until the image was as good as I could make it:

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/216257/4

If you decide you are not willing to do this, then processing is your only option. It is preferable to install the speakers in a better location first, but regardless if you reinstall them or not, go through these steps. Turn off the time alignment and EQ. Use this order:

1) Level setting: Get the speakers level as close as you can to each other (buy a radio shack SPL meter, use it for a few hours, and return it).

2) Crossover settings: While sitting in the front seat, play with your crossover points. Try overlapping the mid low and mid high a bit. Try different slopes. Try switching the polarity of your speakers (one at a time) to see if that helps (go to your amp wiring, and swap the positive and negative wires going to your speaker). Hard to see what is happening without an RTA, so just listen to what sounds best to you.

3) Time alignment: as you have found, being in the front left seat, the left front speakers are closer to you, so they need to be delayed coming out relative to the right front speakers. Slowly adjust these until it sounds best to you.

4) EQ settings: if a particular part of the music sounds too soft or too loud, try boosting or lowering that one band to see if it helps. Check here for roughly what frequency range is what:

http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0400/OctaveEQ.htm

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:55 PM
The purpose of the RCAs are not to upgrade my sound quality of my existing system. I am completely overhauling my system from using the stock head unit to using an aftermarket head unit. Because I have been using my stock HU, I have not had a pair of RCAs running from my dash to my trunk (wasn't necessary when using stock HU). So, I'm asking feedback on RCAs because I am purchasing a new set of them and installing them, NOT because I am trying to upgrade an existing set to get "better" SQ.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what are good quality cables to use in my install, I'm not a fan of putting cheap shi* into a $30,000 car. If I wanted to put some $2 Radio Shack RCAs into my car, I'd have a honda and install an Xplod HU. BUT, maybe those $2 radio shack RCAs ARE good enough... I don't know, that's why I asked.

I got the answers and feedback I was looking for, thanks all.