Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to add XM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to add XM?

I opted not to get XM on my '05 coupe when I got it. However, my fiance just got a new car with XM in it and I kind of like it...

How hard is it to add XM to my coupe? Is it hard to get all the wiring in and to add the intenna? Any guides on how to do it...

Thanks guys

Old 10-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Premier Member

Grubbs has the install directions on their website. you can buy the tuner from them too, or everything g35 or ebay or where ever you get the best deal. The hardest part of the install is running the antenna wire outside the car if that is where you decide to put it. many people just put it inside the car in the back window. I didn't get very good reception that way, so I moved it to the roof. Good luck

Old 10-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06slvrG
Grubbs has the install directions on their website. you can buy the tuner from them too, or everything g35 or ebay or where ever you get the best deal. The hardest part of the install is running the antenna wire outside the car if that is where you decide to put it. many people just put it inside the car in the back window. I didn't get very good reception that way, so I moved it to the roof. Good luck
Read recently on another forum someone move the antenna to the front dash and under the windshield with much better results. Of course, you can never go wrong with the roof as far as reception.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:35 AM
Banned
I found mounting the antenna on the outside glass down low rear windo works well and looks nice.

Not as good ground plane as trunk but looks bad on trunk.

Chris
red light camera speed detectors
http://www.navalert.com/store/

Old 10-12-2006, 11:05 AM
How is the sound using one of the plug and play XM (like the delphi roady xt) via PAC-NIS2? Is the sound quality better using OEM receiver?

Old 10-12-2006, 11:26 AM
The sound you get from an OEM is much better them from a plug and play. I had a plug and play sirius S50 and now I got the factory installed adapter and the reception and quality are so much better.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Thats what I needed to know, thanks. I guess I'll go with the OEM XM receiver.

Does anyone know how long the wire is on the antenna that comes with the XM kit from everythingg35.com? Is that the best place to get the kit?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Might compare prices with Grubbs. They were updating the installation instructions which are available online.
Antenna wire is very long. I ordered the optional mini antenna. You could run it to the front if you needed to. Handle with care, don't kink it.
These receivers are made by various vendors, but they all fit using the mounting parts included in the kit.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Various venders you say... does that mean any xm receiver will work? Can anyone point some out...

Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ivory05G
Various venders you say... does that mean any xm receiver will work? Can anyone point some out...
The point is some vendors like Grubbs, supplies more than one brand of XM receiver, but they all work the same. Kind of like buying GE or Sylvania bulbs.
They all work the same way. One is not better than another. The specific 'brand' varies with what they may have on hand.
Some installation details may be slightly different, but the instructions will clarify that.
Your only concern should be getting the one made for your specific vehicle (regardless of who makes it). They all operate the same.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:49 PM
are all the 05 and up g35s pre-wired for satelite radio??? I don't have a XM button on my bose's but i was told that all the newer ones were all good to go, just add the box and the antena

Old 10-16-2006, 10:09 PM
You will not have an XM button, you will have a SAT button. If you have an 05 or later, it should be pre-wired for use with an XM or Sirius tuner, even the base coupe with no SAT button.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm confused... I have an 06 with bose, no SAT option. My buttons read CD RADIO PTY and DISP.... I take it the PTY is the SAT button you're referring to?

Old 10-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Glycerine
I'm confused... I have an 06 with bose, no SAT option. My buttons read CD RADIO PTY and DISP.... I take it the PTY is the SAT button you're referring to?
I just saw the layout of the 06, it is different. I think the 'RADIO' button offers what you need. Previous models have separate AM, FM and SAT <premium pkg. only> and no RADIO button. (But they do have the DSP and PTY off to the side).

It would seem this should be explained in your 2006 owner's manual as what to use if you have satellite radio. Is it not?

Last edited by fortified; 10-20-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 PM
XM radio head unit

Want to add XM radio to my 2006 G35 Coupe. I was told that I could buy a head unit and be in business. Any help would be appreciated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hard to add XM?