Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

New Mods for my sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mods for my sedan

OK - major props to Tai and John at Audio Industry. Here is there contact info should you want to contact them... please let them know that Ted sent you! I highly recommend the VSS hack!

Audio Industry
1019 S Stimson Ave, City Of Industry, CA 91745
Phone: (626) 336-3327

Mod #1: BCT7 Scanner Hardwired

Hardwired BCT7 Beartracker in armrest. Was going to have it mounted in the upper portion, but the power and antenna had problems running through the air duct/hinges.

Audio from scanner is run through a cassette adapter into the stereo. Wiring was run through the center console and behind the faceplate. Cassette adapter can be accidently ejected, but it cannot be removed without taking dash/faceplate apart. Scanner is selected from stereo wheel's audio controls (mode=tape)

Antenna is mounted in the rear headliner.

Mod #2: DVD/MP3/CD-R/VCD Player Custom installed in Rear Armrest

Custom installed in the rear armrest, plays thru the AVElectronics NAV/Tuner. Infrared remote receiver is mounted in the right side driver airvent.

Mod #3: AVElectronics NAV/Tuner

Installed in the passenger's side quarter panel. Antennas mounted in the rear pillars/headliner - left and right. Infrared remote receiver is mounted in a hole drilled just under right side driver cigarette lighter.

Mod #4: Glove Compartment Mounted Switches

<font color=blue>Left Hand Switch</font color=blue> is a master kill switch for trunk mounted power block, NAV/Tuner, rear armrest DVD player and Friday's PS2 install.

This allows for everything to be run "hot" without worrying about losing power when I stop for snacks or gas. Also let's me kill the power to ensure no battery drains from any accessories.

<font color=blue>Middle Switch</font color=blue> is your handy dandy VSS hack. Allows me to total control of the NAV while I am driving

<font color=blue>Right Button</font color=blue> is your on/off toggle that comes with your AV/Electronic NAV/Tuner.

Mod #5: Hard Wired (switched) power block in trunk

Top block is the positive connection and the bottom block is the negative. There is also a hidden AC/DC power inverter under the mat.

Not shown are two sets of RCA Audio and R+L cables. Run from the NAV/Tuner up front, under the carpet, under the back seats and thru the rear wall, ending up on the right side of the trunk.

============
Next Steps:
Friday (post Turkey Day)
1) PS2 to be installed in the trunk.
2) VARAD LEDs in the "bootwells" (trunk)
3) Proof of concept install (not permanent) of Xenarc 7" VGA LCD touchscreen and Dell D600 laptop.

Hopefully before Dec 13th:
- Source LCD screens for headrests. Can't find anything to fit the headrests!! Help!!! I don't want to use my rear headrests on the front seats.

- Install AV Switch for A, B & C channels to allow for independent use of DVD or PS2 on future LCD screens.

- Infrared headphones for rear seat.

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 11-27-2003, 10:11 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Mods for my sedan

Very nice! Glad to see everything worked out for you. I've also thought about installing another stand-alone dvd player so I can watch something different than the kids in the back. I'm just running out of room in my coupe's little interior.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, PS2, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 11-27-2003, 04:34 PM

how is the NAV/TV tuner's sound transmitted? is it through FM?

04 G35C 6mt/aero kit/nav/premium

Old 11-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

Yep.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, PS2, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 11-28-2003, 01:54 AM

there is an antenna/FM Modulator that is used. When engaged, it overrides the stereo and broadcasts on 89.5. Sounds fine to me.

-Ted

Old 12-07-2003, 12:37 PM

Great mods! Thanks for sharing and be sure to keep us updated on the remainder of the project.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:11 AM

Here's a post I put up when I first installed the LEDs:

Click Here

It lists out the parts and as you scroll thru, you will see some pixes and explanations of how I did it. basically, I installed a "block" under the driver side dash and brought power to it from the back of the driver's cig lighter (soldered directly to the terminals on the back of it)

Then I ran my LEDs and wires to their spots, pulling the wires back to the block. To get power to the passenger side, use a coat hanger, tape your wires to it and PUSH it thru between the center console and the floor/hump, just under the ash tray.

VOILA....mood lights for $40. I did it all and never removed my dash or center console.

Cheers, Ted

Old 01-02-2004, 12:50 PM

On a side note to this conversation, does anyone know how to remove the ashtray? I know you can take out the tray liner for cleaning, but how do you remove the door assembly so you can run wiring in and out of there? I looked for a latch or something, but no luck.