Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Install On Garmin C550 GPS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Install On Garmin C550 GPS

2005 Sedan with Garmin GPS unit given for Christmas. Need suggestion on custom mounting situation. (not on windshield)

Has anyone ever removed the curved instrument cover over the speedometer area? It has been suggested that a thin steel or alumin bar mounted under this hood extending over about 6 inches or so would allow the Garmin to be "suction/glue" mounted or bolted in this position for better visibility.

If you have any info please let me know before I attempt to destroy this dash.

Thanks... Ken9

Old 02-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken9
2005 Sedan with Garmin GPS unit given for Christmas. Need suggestion on custom mounting situation. (not on windshield)

Has anyone ever removed the curved instrument cover over the speedometer area? It has been suggested that a thin steel or alumin bar mounted under this hood extending over about 6 inches or so would allow the Garmin to be "suction/glue" mounted or bolted in this position for better visibility.

If you have any info please let me know before I attempt to destroy this dash.

Thanks... Ken9
Here you go I had the Garmin C330 in my 05 which is the same GPS body.

Attached Thumbnails Help Install On Garmin C550 GPS-garmin-install.jpg   Help Install On Garmin C550 GPS-garmin-c330.jpg  
Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
GEE35X, how did you actually attach the unit in the tray? Seems like its quite stable in the picture.....

Old 02-07-2007, 05:06 PM
I had my wife sew up a bean bag that fit in the cubby. I set the GPS in there then the bean bag and it would never move. It worked very well this way. I used the power outlet in the center console and I could leave it plugged in and it would turn off when I turned off the car.
Any other questions you can shout me a PM.
Wayne

Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow...nice work (w/ the bean bag & all...haven't heard of that before).

There are other methods too (I saw a guy who cut a piece of wood to fit in the cubby & then covered it w/ some black plastic so the suction cup would stick to it)...looked awesome!

You can also hardwire your navi & run the wire down the cubby so you won't see any wires whatsoever...that's what I did w/ my Nuvi 660 and love the install. I can send you the link if you're interested, or search "Nuvi 660" under that section of the forum.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Wow...nice work (w/ the bean bag & all...haven't heard of that before).

There are other methods too (I saw a guy who cut a piece of wood to fit in the cubby & then covered it w/ some black plastic so the suction cup would stick to it)...looked awesome!

You can also hardwire your navi & run the wire down the cubby so you won't see any wires whatsoever...that's what I did w/ my Nuvi 660 and love the install. I can send you the link if you're interested, or search "Nuvi 660" under that section of the forum.
Jimmyc13, thanks for the info...please send the link when convenient. Would like to see it. At the moment we are going to try and make a bean bag installation as well as creating a wooden cubby insert. Will see which one works out best. Already started on the fabrication of the insert and will try and get the "seamstress" to do the beanbag thing as well.....

Old 02-08-2007, 12:54 PM
No problem man…

Here is the wood block install link: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...light=nuvi+660

Here is my thread w/ info. on hardwiring & wiring down thru cubby….go to thread #31:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...light=nuvi+660

Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Well the install is finished and looks great if I do say so myself. Thanks to all for the input, photos and support.

Now after hard wiring the c550 and checking it all out I find that the fuse that I tapped into is "on" 24/7 or hot. I started to change this to a key on fuse but decided to wait for a day or so.

I find that the c550 displays a message that the battery is charging constantly. This message shows on a black screen that is activated by tapping then the message goes away. Obviously after the battery is charged fully the system is still trying to charge it. The unit is warm as if it has been "on" all the time.

Is this a bad thing? Or should I opt for the key on only fuses? No big deal to change..... just wondering if it really matters.

Comments? Info?

Old 02-28-2007, 11:05 PM
I think you are much better to have your GPS wired into a key on only fuse, so that it turns off and on itself when you stop or start your car.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:17 PM
I have a Magellan and I had it hard wired in at Circuit City for $30. They built a mount and it's really clean, plus it turns on/off with the car or I can leave it off all the time and it's removable if I happen to park in a bad area. I have my Sirius hard mounted where GEE35X has his nav system and I can flip down the cover when I want it out of site. I'll post pics later.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Well the install is finished and looks great if I do say so myself. Thanks to all for the input, photos and support.

Now after hard wiring the c550 and checking it all out I find that the fuse that I tapped into is "on" 24/7 or hot. I started to change this to a key on fuse but decided to wait for a day or so.

I find that the c550 displays a message that the battery is charging constantly. This message shows on a black screen that is activated by tapping then the message goes away. Obviously after the battery is charged fully the system is still trying to charge it. The unit is warm as if it has been "on" all the time.

Is this a bad thing? Or should I opt for the key on only fuses? No big deal to change..... just wondering if it really matters.

Comments? Info?
Definitely tap into a different fuse. There are photos of the correct fuse to use (same as the cig. lighter outlet) on a post I did for my Navi install...pictures are VERY clear which fuse it is.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Definitely tap into a different fuse. There are photos of the correct fuse to use (same as the cig. lighter outlet) on a post I did for my Navi install...pictures are VERY clear which fuse it is.

Ok, will change it to the same one you tapped. Does your unit auto start at power on?

Those pictures are great by the way.... thanks!!

The deed is done.

Last edited by Ken9; 03-01-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Ok, will change it to the same one you tapped. Does your unit auto start at power on?

Those pictures are great by the way.... thanks!!

The deed is done.
No problem.

When you say "auto start", I believe the answer is yes (if this is what you mean).....when I turn the car on, the nav will automatically power up/on!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Yep, thats what I wondering about. Much nicer this way.

I mean you guys have to understand how amazing this technology is for my father-in-law. He was born 38 years after the shootout at the OK corral!!

I think the math works out.... anyway he is 88!

Bluetooth, GPS, MP3's..... he just stares and shakes his head.....LOL!!

And I might add he loves it all!! Now if I could just keep him from driving....

Old 03-02-2007, 06:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I have the C330 as well and I have it mounted in the same area. The difference is I attached the mounting disk to the back of the cubby hole. Check out my posts, with pics, in this thread.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ht=garmin+c330

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Install On Garmin C550 GPS