Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Broken GPS antenna connector pin :( [NEED HELP]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken GPS antenna connector pin :( [NEED HELP]

I'm a new proud owner of an '04G35c with an aftermarket NAV which I was weary of when I bought the car. I am going to try and make a long story short. The GPS unit is a monitor/cd-rom setup and there is little info on the web about the model. It is labeled as Audiovox (with no pt #s) but I think it was sold as a VDO Dayton system. This is what I have gathered:

Part Numbers: Audiovox / VDO Dayton
--------------------------------------
Monitor: LCM580NAV / MM5000
CD-ROM: NPC5400 / MS5000

The GPS antenna is supposed to connect into the back of the CD-ROM but who ever installed the unit prior to my purchase lost or broke the threaded connector sleeve and shoved the antenna cable pin into the unit "pin to pin." Now both pins have broken off!

So I have no clue how to repair this thing. What kind of connector does a GPS antenna use? I can get a new GPS antenna but now the pin is broken inside the CD-ROM connector... Any thoughts???

Broken GPS antenna connector pin :( [NEED HELP]-img_2178.jpg

Broken GPS antenna connector pin :( [NEED HELP]-img_2169.jpg

Broken GPS antenna connector pin :( [NEED HELP]-img_2188.jpg

Broken GPS antenna connector pin :( [NEED HELP]-img_2176.jpg

Broken GPS antenna connector pin :( [NEED HELP]-img_2175.jpg

Old 03-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know what you mean by the other pin is broken off inside the unit side connector... He would have to push the center conductor back up in the wire to have done that...

Your antenna cable looks just like a standard coax cable. 1 thin inner conductor (the copper portion you're calling a pin) that is the length of the cable, the plastic insulation (the clear stuff), the outer conductor/grounding shield (the silver mesh) and then the wire jacket insulation.

If you cut the wire right at where the shield is showing, you will discover more copper back there. Go to radio shack and get a coax stripper/crimper. While you're there, show them the connector that came off, and get another one. SMC-type maybe? I dunno. Ordinarily, changing length on an antenna cable isn't a good thing, but i think you can get away with it here. Soldering that mesh, if necessary, might be more than you can chew tho.

In your case, i'd advise you to go to audiovox's site, that CD part number shows up, and hit the look for dealer in your area. They should be able to repair it for you. And while you're there, look at the install manual. It tells you a C-IQ number to call about problems with your nav disc. They'll tell you how to get a new one.

Last edited by Glycerine; 03-29-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:37 PM
*** UPDATE *** [if anyone cares]

- took the unit apart and removed the gps receiver w/bad connector
- connector is an SMB right angle plug [subminiture-B]
- reviewed a dozen manufacturers' CAD drawings [good thing I am an engineer, not that you have to be one to read the drawings, but it does make it easier if you have used them before]
- ordered samples from various manufacturers
- spoke with siemens automotive engineer
- spoke with Audiovox engineer
- spoke with trimble GPS engineer

Awaiting parts.... Electronics person will have to replace the connector since is a 5-post jack solder on a PCB.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 PM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where can you get this unit?

Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by izmir41500
where can you get this unit?
Not really sure... It is an older model and seems to be a VDO Dayton MS5000. They have newer models at www.vdodayton.com

What kind of engineer are you? I am an ME and I am about to start work with Chevron in a month...