Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Nismo gauge cluster=odd things

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Nismo gauge cluster=odd things

I recently installed a Nismo gauge cluster in my 03 6mt coupe. Since the install the automatic head lights dont shut off automatically, the interior lights do not come on when you open the doors and the windows do not open a crack when you open the door then go up when you close the door. I was wondering if any one else with the Nismo cluster has noticed the same issues?

Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm..... I don't have the Nismo gauge cluster installed in my 03, but I did swap in the 05/06 gauges into my 03 and have the same problems as you are describing but I'm too lazy to look into it right now. It's weird because I have an 03 6mt and installed a set of 5AT gauges from an 05 and they didn't have that problem, then I swapped in the 05 gauges from a 6MT and they have this problem. I'll rip the dash apart again someday to figure this out....

Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt its a cluster issue, check your driver side door pin.

If the pin is loose, broken, or missing you will have all the above symptoms

Old 04-25-2007, 09:49 PM
It's definitely a cluster issue in my case. I had the dash apart at one time and experimented by connecting and disconnecting the cluster. I had the driver side door open and after I disconnected the cluster the interior lights came on and the window rolled down the normal 1/8" or so when the door is opened. Connected the cluster and the window rolled up and the interior lights went out. I double checked and triple checked my connections and everything looked fine. I'll open the dash up again to take a closer look.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I also experimented with the 05 AT gauge set and my 05 6MT gauge set. It only happens with the 6MT gauge set and not the AT gauge set. Both are wired the same.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by 03 Skyline
I recently installed a Nismo gauge cluster in my 03 6mt coupe. Since the install the automatic head lights dont shut off automatically, the interior lights do not come on when you open the doors and the windows do not open a crack when you open the door then go up when you close the door. I was wondering if any one else with the Nismo cluster has noticed the same issues?
Out of curiousity, do you have Navigation?? Are you using a Nismo gauge cluster meant for no navigation or for navigation???

Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
No Navigation in my car the options from NISMO were 6mt, automatic and Km/hr only they discontinued the cluster that indicates Km/hr only. So the only options are mt or auto. How are the clusters diffrent on navi cars?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by 03 Skyline
No Navigation in my car the options from NISMO were 6mt, automatic and Km/hr only they discontinued the cluster that indicates Km/hr only. So the only options are mt or auto. How are the clusters diffrent on navi cars?
From what I gathered from the service manual the cluster provides information to the nav system so the nav system can calculate fuel efficiency and some other things. I was under the impression that all the gauge clusters had this ability but only gauge clusters that were identified for cars with navigation just had the extra wiring in place from the cluster.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Anyway to fix these problems with out switching back to the OEM cluster?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned
I'm not sure if this is of any help to you guys, but I have found that the door pins on the '03s pull an excessive amount of current - like close to 1A. I'm not sure what they drive to pull that kind of load, but it may be something to keep in mind.

The service manual shows the door pins going to a BCM input and to another input, neither of which sould pull much current at all. It seems to me that the problem would be with the cluster either not seeing the actual door pin signal (it comes in on the can-bus) or with the cluster not communicating with the BCM at all.

When a door is open, does the cluster show that it is open?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned
Also, have you contacted the place you got it from? I would think they would know much more about this.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by KPierson
I'm not sure if this is of any help to you guys, but I have found that the door pins on the '03s pull an excessive amount of current - like close to 1A. I'm not sure what they drive to pull that kind of load, but it may be something to keep in mind.

The service manual shows the door pins going to a BCM input and to another input, neither of which sould pull much current at all. It seems to me that the problem would be with the cluster either not seeing the actual door pin signal (it comes in on the can-bus) or with the cluster not communicating with the BCM at all.

When a door is open, does the cluster show that it is open?
Hey Kevin. No, my 05 6MT gauge cluster does not show that the door is open, but when I plug in the 05 5AT set it works just fine. The CAN bus connection to the cluster is fine because all other CAN related signals are reported to the cluster like the high beams, turn signals, speedo, etc. and they show up no problem. For some reason it seems that the BCM is not reading the input from the door pin when the cluster is plugged in. The cluster has to be shorting out the door input when it's being plugged in. I'll look into it hopefully tomorrow night.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:25 PM
When the door is open it does not indicate it on the cluster but when I first turn the ignition on the open door light on the cluster will not illuminate at that time either. The lights on the bottom side of the door panel light up when the door is opened

Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by KPierson
Also, have you contacted the place you got it from? I would think they would know much more about this.
The Nissan dealer in Japan has little knowledge about the differences in north american models and japanees models they also said this is the first Nismo cluster they have sold. Then throw in the language barrier and thats why I am looking for answers here so any help is appreciated.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 AM
Anyone come up with a solution for this problem yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nismo gauge cluster=odd things