Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

need help installing sat on rear deck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help installing sat on rear deck

I finally got my sirius kit today from grubbs. I have a few questions.

When you put the antenna on the rear deck where do you put it. Does the antenna need to be touching metal?

My second question is where do I find the prewiring for the sat tunner?

There is a wire that looks like a ground wire. It has to brass ends to fit around screws. What is this for? Does it need to be touching the sat tunner and ground out to some metal on the car?

I also bought the terk antenna and man it is alot smaller than the one that comes with the kit. It is cool.

Could some one please post a pic their antenna mounted on the rear deck. That would be so help full.

thanks

Thanks for the help,

Old 01-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Re: need help installing sat on rear deck

I just got mine installed yesterday with the help on Point's advice. I removed the one of the child seat anchors from the rear deck and replaced it with the antenna. PM me and I will try to send you a picture of the finished antenna installation.

If you are prewired, the wire will be under the plastic cover next to the spare tire on the driver's side. You will see a small white clip at the end of a wire.

2003 Black Coupe
Premium Package, Aero package, 35% Tint

Old 01-03-2004, 11:15 AM
jaz

I installed my Sirius antennna on the rear deck of my 2003.5 sedan yesterday. I removed the child resraint anchor on the passenger side and pop rivited a small piece of sheet metal to the deck in the same place. I then "stuck" the antenna onto the metal plate (it has 4 magnets on the bottom). I holds it in place nicely.

2003.5 gf sedan

Old 01-04-2004, 01:07 AM

No, the antenna does not need to be touching metal. I did a quicky temporary install by just laying the antenna on the rear deck in the center and running the wires under plastic latch cover. It's heavy enough that it doesn't really slide. Some velcro hooks would keep it firmly in place. Reception seems about as good as a friend's roof-mounted antenna, rarely get any drop-outs even driving under tunnels (although I may try to move it towards the driver's side to get it nearer to the center of the road, since tall buildings on the edges of the road can sometimes block signal). If it's better then I'll do what others are doing and remove the anchor. Beats the pants off of having that ugly wart on the top of that beautiful sleek exterior!!

-- Rob

Old 01-04-2004, 03:21 AM

Thanks guys for all your help. I installed mine today and it went with no problem. The part that took me the longest was finding the prewiring. It was right below the pass through on the trunk.

I am sure glad I did not pay the dealer $900 dollars to do it for me.
THanks

I also just velcrowed my antenna to the rear deck and its not touching metal and seems to work fine. It looks cool because the I got the trek antenna which is black and silver that matches the interior. They give you alot of preview channels before the sirius is activated. If I ever get broke I will just listen to those free channels.