Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

installing red top optima battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question installing red top optima battery

tried to install red top optima battery today. could not get the positive side terminal to go on battery with bend in stock battery terminal. anyone had this problem and know a fix without cutting the stock terminal completely replacing it. i am worried about cutting the stock terminal off with all that garbage attached to it. i know on my old nissan that main connector to the positve side of the battery went bad and nissan made me buy a whole new cable for a couple hundred bucks. dont want to cause this problem on me g-ride. any help would be much appreciated.:

Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had the same problem with a red top for my Maxima, still sitting in my shed, brandnew, never used, post is just too far for the OEM cable to reach. Wish I had an answer for U, good luck.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you get the one that is the rev mount...i fit mine fine...

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM
with poles reversed? yep, model I think was R34 and I also worried about whacking off + end and modifing it, so, as I said, still taking up space in my shop. The right angle + end came up about an inch short of being able to connect.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are the terminals on top or on the side?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Memphoman
Had the same problem with a red top for my Maxima, still sitting in my shed, brandnew, never used, post is just too far for the OEM cable to reach. Wish I had an answer for U, good luck.

Well lucky for you because Optima batteries "can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a car."

Old 07-18-2007, 01:28 PM
they are reversed top post so as to fit in a Maxima where the battery is oriented vertically,with POS towards the trunk, and I can't even get $50 for it. OEM battery had posts mounted only about ½ inch from battery edge.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Thumbs up finally got red top optima battery installed

take that one out of the shed and get ready to install it in your g. here is a pic of the install. just a few things moved and the positive cable flipped around. ah snug as a bug in a rug.

Attached Thumbnails installing red top optima battery-g-unit-023.jpg   installing red top optima battery-g-unit-025.jpg  
Old 07-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Okay, here is a mini-tutorial on how I did it with my Optima Yellow Top battery. You will have to purchase at least one aftermarket terminal for this. First off I disconnected everything (duh). Once the positive terminal is removed, you will see how the end that used to be connected to the stock battery has a hole in it that the stock connector bolt used to sit in. Find a new bolt that will fit this hole. I made an extender cable about 4-6 inches long out of 1/0 gauge wire, but you could easily use 4 gauge if you aren't running heavy car stereo as I am. So Cut the cable to length, and attach two ring connectors to it. Fasten one ring connector to the bolt you placed through the stock connector hole, and the other ring connector goes to your new positive battery terminal. Connect the negative terminal up and you are done.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Memphoman
with poles reversed? yep, model I think was R34 and I also worried about whacking off + end and modifing it, so, as I said, still taking up space in my shop. The right angle + end came up about an inch short of being able to connect.

Worried about whacking off????????????? LMAO j/k

Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Optima has a yellow top with the terminals in the correct orientation. I think it's the 35D or 35D. I have it but I forget. No modding required.

Last edited by Gilley; 07-24-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Wront red top. this is the one you needed:

Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by digitalhifinet
Okay, here is a mini-tutorial on how I did it with my Optima Yellow Top battery. You will have to purchase at least one aftermarket terminal for this. First off I disconnected everything (duh). Once the positive terminal is removed, you will see how the end that used to be connected to the stock battery has a hole in it that the stock connector bolt used to sit in. Find a new bolt that will fit this hole. I made an extender cable about 4-6 inches long out of 1/0 gauge wire, but you could easily use 4 gauge if you aren't running heavy car stereo as I am. So Cut the cable to length, and attach two ring connectors to it. Fasten one ring connector to the bolt you placed through the stock connector hole, and the other ring connector goes to your new positive battery terminal. Connect the negative terminal up and you are done.
So the yellow top doesn't fit without modification, eh... gwar!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Here's an "easy" alternative...

Attached Thumbnails installing red top optima battery-dsc00052.jpg   installing red top optima battery-dsc00057.jpg  
Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lancer
So the yellow top doesn't fit without modification, eh... gwar!
No, THAT yellow top doesn't fit without modification. The D34 or D35 does fit without modification. I'll check my battery for the model number.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: installing red top optima battery