Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

premium (bose) system & adding subs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
premium (bose) system & adding subs

Ok I did a quick search and didn't see any replies.

I'm interested in adding 2 10" subs to my G, but right now I've only got the stock premium bose head unit, is this possible?

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-13-2007, 07:56 PM
SEC > Big 12
Wow i feel like an idiot, I never look in this subforum and i COMPLETELY missed the sticky and when i searched i was looking for something with premium/bose + sub in the title...guess i'll have to look closer next time.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
But really, why would you want to keep the stock HU? BTW, the stock HU is not Bose, its a Clarion deck.

Secondly, why just add subs to an already crappy stock system? Did you know that the stock front and backseat speakers are the same stock speakers you would find in a Nissan Sentra or Quest? Paper thin, small magnets and very poor quality. again, remember the only components that are "BOSE" is the 220W amp (left of the spare tire) and the rear shelf 6x9 "subs".

IMO, I would at least change our the stock speakers first, HU second and then add subs. THat would give you the most improved sounds quality unless all you're looking for is some thump in your trunk.

again, my $0.02.

doc

Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 PM
SEC > Big 12
Thanks Doc,

The plan is to eventually upgrade everything, but I was just curious for now. Ideally i'll get all new speakers, 2 subs, and the avic-z2. I've got some speakers from my old Maxima and a 4 channel amp but i'm not sure they'll work with the G. Anyway like i said i'm just exploring my options, but thanks for chiming in.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dump the Bose amp first. That's where the evil equalizing occurs.

When you tap into the audio signal to power the sub amp, make sure you get the signal before it enters the Bose amp.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:11 AM
REALLY?!?!?!? ALL THE g35 MODELS HAVE ONLY 2 BOSE TWEETERS IN THERE and EVERYTHING ELSE IS PRETTY MUCH CRAP?!?!?!

Old 08-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by docron1
But really, why would you want to keep the stock HU? BTW, the stock HU is not Bose, its a Clarion deck.

IMO, I would at least change our the stock speakers first, HU second and then add subs. THat would give you the most improved sounds quality unless all you're looking for is some thump in your trunk.

again, my $0.02.

doc
The stock HU is not that terrible, and it's not like you can just swap in a new deck like it's a civic or something... I can think of a few advantages to keeping the stock unit, after all... it's not like it needs to be the first thing to go in these vehicles.

Then again they do seem to skip rather easily.

you know, just my $0.02

Adding a line out converter like the LC6 I have, and then doing aftermarket amps/speakers isn't a bad solution if you're not crazy about tearing apart the dash to do a HU swap. Sound will be just about as good as with an aftermarket headunit, albeit not as convenient or tunable.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 PM
SEC > Big 12
the big thing i love about stock HUs is the integrated steering wheel controls, but there are many adaptors that now let u keep this so i'm def. going to get a double din w/ navi at some point b/c i like to travel (as much as i don't want to put miles on the G) to see my dad in Chicago and even tho i'm a guy i'll readily admit i'll probably get lost when I go there.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
We've had this discussion several times before....the stock Clarion HU is decent. But then again, how many threads mention the stock CD changer messing up and displaying errors?

If you have the $$ to upgrade audio system, do it all at one time! I say this from experience, you save in installation costs, buying components you don't need when you do eventual total upgrade and needing to tear apart your dash several hundred times....lol.

My upgrades went as follows: (back in the spring of 2004)
1. stock HU, stock speakers, stock Bose amp -----> add Infinity BassLink
2. stock HU +Infinity BassLink ----->added 2Ch and 4Ch MTX Thunder amps +Infinity Perfect 6.1 +Infinity Kappas 6x9's + Eclipse 6.5's + LOCs
3. #2 + DD conversion w/ Panasonic CQ HU
4. #3 + Xenarc screen (in stock navi cubby) + Pyle DVD player (in upper glovebox)

AND most recently....last weekend in fact....
5. swapped out my old Panasonic CQ HU (which was great) for a newer Pioneer DEH-7900BT (has IPOD connection, Bluetooth integration for my Treo 700W)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610937661
6. next upgrade will be Garmin Nuvi 360 when price drops below $375 (pricegrabber.com baby...lol)

If I did the upgrade at one time at least for steps 1-3, I would have saved some $$ on the LOCs and installation as well as having to tear apart my dash, back seat and installing my interconnect cables later....

Hope this helps....
doc