Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help with my system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 04:10 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help with my system

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the whole sound system thing and I would like your help to determine if I have everything I need to get going.

Before I begin listing parts, I want to give some background about the direction I'm going.

I would like to retain my stock headunit for this setup b/c I don't like the idea of having my car broken into (So please, no suggestions about going aftermarket with the HU). I would like to change all my stock speakers and keep the bose sub if possible. I'm going to replace the front and front speakers and power them with a new amp.

Please tell me if what I have listed is adequate and if it is possible for the stock sub to still work:

Speakers:
Infinity Kappa 60.7cs (fronts)
Infinity Kappa 63.7i (Rears)

Processor:
Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2
Details:
interactive signal processor lets you expand and fine-tune any car audio system
handheld Palm® 5.0 or higher device, Windows CE® device, or Windows® laptop with Bluetooth® capability required for making system adjustments
six high-level speaker inputs (front, rear, subwoofer, and center channel)
six low-level preamp inputs (front, rear, subwoofer, and center channel)
six 5-volt preamp outputs (front, rear, subwoofer, and center channel)
153 adjustable bands of equalization
31 bands each for the front right and left speakers
27 bands each for the rear right and left speakers
27 bands for the center channel
10 bands for the subwoofer
time alignment
auxiliary audio input with 31-band equalizer
low-pass, high-pass, and bandpass crossovers for the front, rear, and center channels (62 steps between 50 Hz and 10kHz, 12 or 24 dB/octave)
subsonic filter for the subwoofer (12 or 24 dB/octave)
sound settings memory lets you save your EQ settings on your Palm device
automatic equalization of factory sound
auto sum capability compensates for deficiencies in factory sound
on-board digital signal processor
dash-mountable volume **** and source selector
displays before-and-after comparison of sound equalization
8-5/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 5"D
OR I could skip the processor and get the LOC Scosche SLC4 and nissan reverse harness and run outputs directly to the amp

Amp:
Alpine MRP-F450
Details:
4-channel car amplifier
70 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
200 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
variable high-pass/low-pass filters (50-400 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
tuned Bass EQ (12 dB bass boost at 50 Hz for channels 3 & 4)
subsonic filter (15 Hz, 24 dB/octave for channels 3 & 4)
MOSFET power supply
CEA-2006 compliant
STAR Topology (minimizes internal noise and prevents ground interference)
speaker- and preamp-level inputs
preamp outputs
gold-plated screw terminals
fuse rating: 25A x 2
8-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
13-1/4"W x 2-3/8"H x 9-9/16"D
Accessories
2 sets of spacers for front and rear speakers
2 sets of patch cables
1 wiring kit for power

Questionables:
Do I need new speaker wires or does the existing wire work?

Not adding
Dynamat - I don't think it is required but I'll re-evaluate it if necessary

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by RXM; 09-30-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:36 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump...I would like to start ordering these parts this week if possible.

Help me out...

Old 10-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think a 3sixty.2 is neccessary especially with the stuff you have. A LOC will work fine. The 3sixty.2 is usually for audiophiles. Judging by the speakers and amp you chose you do not fall into this catagory. I would also reconsider the speakers. A great set of 6.5 coaxials are the pioneer revs they sound great check out a local drivein autosound or go to the website to look for local dealers. You will definitely be impressed and I think they blow the kappas out of the water. For you front components I would suggest using Phoneix gold RSD (around 90 shipped on ebay) or if you are looking to spend a little more I would go with the Pioneer preimer ts-c720prs. THey can be found for around 270 shipped online. These are a lot more expensive however they are amazing speakers. I just ordered my set last week. They retail for 550 and they are amazing. I compared these to a pair of expensive focals and I was amazed how much better they were. These are all just suggestions if you really like the kappas then go for it. Although I do suggest you listen to some speakers before you decide. A lot of people on this forum love the kappas, mainly because they are 2ohm speakers and can be used with the stock bose amp. I would also suggest some 16gauge speaker wire. You dont need the fancy twisted type with the double shielding and what not. Just get some quality 16 gauge from a reputable company. Knukonceptz.com is a great site. As far as the amp I dont really know much about that amp Alpine makes solid products so if you can get it for cheap go for it. Also check out the pdx amps. A friend of mine got one for around 300 on ebay. That are sweet amps and the footprint for them is incredible small so they can be installed just about anywhere. In terms of sound deadening I would definitely recommend it. Use Raammat. Dynamat is horrible overpriced. It is good but Raammat is much cheaper and perfroms just as well. Car audio is not just about having good equipment. The install is crucial. I notice that your set up does not include a sub so I am going to assume that you are going to want your speakers to have some bass. Rattling doors are extremely annoying and a can almost gurantee that you will want to deaden you doors after a few weeks. Sound deadner will also help you speakers sound much cleaner since the metal panels and plastic wont be vibrating. Like I said before you dont have to take my word on any of this. People have different opinions on different things so I would try to get some opinions from other people as well.

Last edited by ill_ace; 10-01-2007 at 09:49 PM.