Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Optima Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 03:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optima Battery

Has anyone changed their battery to an optima red top? I did a search and came up with someone who said that the terminals maybe switched on our Gs. There was another person who was in the process of doing it but didn't give an update.
I am interested in changing the OE battery to one that is more reliable and maintenance free. I hear that optima batteries are one of the best.
I went on the Optima web site but it didn't give the recommended model for our Gs.
Thank you for your input!!

Old 02-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Re: Optima Battery

Bought one for my thunderbird with good results so far. Paid a lot more for it. I have the stock one in my G. But I think all of the hype is probably true, because many stereo shops needing more amps recommend it.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:56 AM

You want to get the 34R series. The R means the posts are reversed just like the stock battery.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the replies and help!! Much appreciated!!

Old 02-12-2004, 06:30 PM
G SQUAD

I m actually due for an Optima battery. I m having issues with my system and the power. So I got a cap that I havent installed yet and I m gonna get an optima battery also. Al had made it clear that the d34r is the one to get for our cars. I m just not clear on whether i should get the red top or yellow top. Gut feelin is saying to go with the yellow top but I dunno

Old 02-12-2004, 07:15 PM

if you plan on playing your music a lot with the engine off, get the yellow top. if you don't the red top is the way to go. They are usually rated a little higher in terms of power than the yellow tops.

Old 02-14-2004, 01:34 AM
G SQUAD

So the yellow top is more for it your gonna play music with the car off while the red top would work just fine if your playing music while driving?? I just wanna clear it up because I want to go purchase the battery asap. Thanks Al

Old 02-14-2004, 04:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes the yellow top would be better for you since you have a high powered audio system and like to play music with the car off.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 02-14-2004, 12:13 PM

Well actually it is never recommended to play your stereo with your car off...as it will drain any battery, yellow top or red or stinger series in a matter of 15-30 minutes. That is of course if your playing it ***** to the wall. If you have a stereo the best way to go is DO NOT USE A CAP..those things are horrible and will prematurely kill your amps. They do that because of the sudden jolt of power they throw at your amps in cycles....this is not good..I know EVERYONE uses them and it seems like a trend that has caught on...They do there job..dont get me wrong..and they work great..but most Finer Audio shops who know there **** do not recommend the use of a cap. The alternative to a cap is to just simply add another batter to your car. And the perfect battery for tha is the Optima Yellow Top...for stereos of course...The reason why is because this battery is sealed..doesnt leak and can be put anywhere in the car because it doesnt leak any fumes or acid..This is usually done by running the Optima and the OEM battery (Or you could replace that with a red top if you like, those are good crank starter batterys) On a relay system..That way your alternator charged both of the battery's but only one at a time, so it is not working too hard. This route may be a bit more expensive because you'd be adding the 0 guage wiring and relay and fuse boxes and install if you dont wanna do it yourself, but this is the best, safest and most effective performance wise way to go.

Im a huuuuge car audio buff...and that is my .02

"Dont start none, won't be none"

Old 02-14-2004, 02:12 PM

"So the yellow top is more for it your gonna play music with the car off while the red top would work just fine if your playing music while driving?? I just wanna clear it up because I want to go purchase the battery asap. Thanks Al"

Exactly. If you plan on showing your system off with the engine off, get the yellow. Otherwise, get the Red.

Get your $$$ back for the cap also. They look cool but unless you listen to someone playing the snare drum without the bass, it's a total waste of $$$.

Old 02-15-2004, 03:10 AM

Who in there right mind would show there system off w/o the engine running....you wouldnt even hit full Db with the engine off..thats why when you goto Db drags the guy is always in his car revving his motor to about 3-4 grand while he's gettin' metered to get the full power out of the alternator!!!.

This is what is boils down to.....Red top for starting your car ( or OEM if its not dead yet, which it shouldnt be) and Yellow top in the trunk...1 would suffice for every 750 watts of power on a general note..also depends on if you have innefficient amps or not!...and both batteries running off a relay system!

Old 02-15-2004, 03:11 AM

Again, that is if you have a high powered system (1000 wattts plus!) if not then dont worry about it..one red top under the hood would prolly be enough...even though i wouldnt recommend it.

Old 02-15-2004, 05:26 AM

As far as caps are concerned, they are useful if used in the right application for the right reasons. It's untrue to say the "finest" audio shops would not suggest the use of a cap in an install. Many factors come into play when deciding to use a cap. Caps are not extra batteries as some would like to think they are, but they can facilitate a systems ability to produce optimum power during certain musical peaks. Certain high end manufacturers of amplifiers, such as TRU Technology, actually suggest using a capacitor with several of their amps in order to maintain a constant and consistant flow of power. Just thought i would clarify that caps are not for everyone, but it is not accurate to say a good shop/installer would advise against it. In some cases, that is simply untrue.

As far as batteries as concerned, marine batteries are probably the most beneficial for very powerful systems. Not only would a marine battery be stronger than a conventional battery, it is also less expensive in most cases. This is simply my opinion and this is also the battery of choice with my upcoming system. I will by using a stinger battery in the trunk with a marine battery up front. From the looks of this setup, it should be very efficient and reliable. i guess we will soon see if all my research has paid off...

Old 02-15-2004, 09:20 PM

coupedit03,
Not everyone on this forum is as knowledgeable as you are on this subject. I would wager that many here don't know that an alternator usually puts out over ~13+ volts while the battery can only supply 12 volts. With that said, I guess your definition of showing off and mine are a little different. To me, it's about the music and showing it off means to a buddy or two.

To you, it seems to be whether the 2 kickers, tuned to 28 hz can burp 145 db's with 2k watts on a test tone in front of an audience.

I figured that if the original poster, and everyone else here, was asking about optimas, he probably isn't setting his system up for a comp. Therefore, I would argue that he doesn't really care that much about "hit full Db" and is not concerned about the extra db or two that he would get by reving his engine at 3 or 4 grand. You gotta know your audience.

Just had to respond to your post that made it sound like you thought I was crazy.

Old 02-17-2004, 02:15 AM

Oh no not at all al503...you seem to know something about the dB drag circuit...I wasn't tryin to come off as a d!ck...but my point was what is the point of showing your system off to a buddy or two if its not puttin out its peak performance or just about..I mean if your gonna do something do it right....and the other point I was tryin to make was that its not good to run your system with your car off. that's all. And if needed the battery he obviously had a system that was going to sound decent ...its good that he was asking though because most people don't know about power,amps and cars and just throw a big *** amp in there car with some subs and when it doesnt sound good, doesn't nit, or when there lights dim almost completly on and off and their alternator kicks it that their system is ****, and their components suck. Which is not always the case.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery