Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Replacing speaker grills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2007 | 04:36 AM
|
Replacing speaker grills

I am about half way done with my new system in my g35 coupe. I was wondering if anyone has cut out the stock speaker grills and put in new ones? I know that for my last car this made a big difference. Any feedback about how well this worked and how hard it was would be great. Unfortunately I dont have access to any tools so if I do this I would have to go out and buy them so I just want to make sure its worth it. And it anyone is wondering here is what I have:
Kicker zx7005.
Pioneer Premier TS-C720prs
Knukonceptz wiring
62.5 sq ft of raammat for the doors
Peripheral LOC
10" IDQ comming soon

Old 10-16-2007 | 08:11 AM
i have, i installed some grills off of a set of mb quartz i had sitting around...i am running jl audio zr comps and the grills are not as nice...you can get a shop to do it for you for about 50 bucks

Old 10-16-2007 | 04:41 PM
|
did it make a difference or are the stock grills fine? I would rather avoid chopping up my doors but if its worth the difference I am willing to do it.

Old 10-17-2007 | 09:13 PM
stock grills = good

Old 05-31-2008 | 09:48 PM
you don't need to chop up your doors. Stock grills are not part of the doorskin

there are 2 tabs on the side and to plastic spot welds on the top and bottom.

pop the tabs on each side and give it a good punch from behind. comes right out no damage to door or door skin.

I have my kappa grills installed and it looks sweet. They are the right diameter but require a little dremeling to get the right depth. A little cutting, a little hot glue gun all done. I took pics of every step, one of these days I'll figure out how to post them.

Old 08-26-2013 | 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by PTownG
you don't need to chop up your doors. Stock grills are not part of the doorskin

there are 2 tabs on the side and to plastic spot welds on the top and bottom.

pop the tabs on each side and give it a good punch from behind. comes right out no damage to door or door skin.

I have my kappa grills installed and it looks sweet. They are the right diameter but require a little dremeling to get the right depth. A little cutting, a little hot glue gun all done. I took pics of every step, one of these days I'll figure out how to post them.
Can you buy door speaker grills for 2006 G35? I need one for my passenger side door