Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sedan Audio Q's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedan Audio Q's

alrite, i just recently got the kenwood dnx 7100. i feel like my bass is lacking, if i wanted to get a new subwoofer and amp, where would be the best place ment?

bacically i am look for some pictures of audio setups on a SEDAN, no coupes please.

thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
www.4080enclosures.com makes a nice sub enclosure that goes on the passenger side of the car. You could use a simple box enclosure too. www.zenclosures.com offers nice ones.

You can mount the amp in several places. It depends on what amp you get as to where it will fit.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:29 PM
what about in the rear deck where my bose 1 is now?

Old 12-30-2007, 03:59 PM
The rear deck is not strong enough, you could try to reinforce it but it still would not be as good as an enclosure.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by oooooooooooooq
what about in the rear deck where my bose 1 is now?
You mean for the sub? It's about an 8 inch sub. Free air doesn't sound as good as a sub in an enclosure.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 AM
Free Air

I disagree. I had a sub enclosure in the trunk of my T-Bird and it was ok. It took up alot of space. Then I put a 3/4" thick board behind the back seat and mounted 2 10" free air subs firing into the back of the back seat. I reused the same amp. The free air subs would shake the floorboard! I gained back all of the trunk space I had lost.
For a coupe or fastback you need an enclosure but in a sedan free air is the only way to go.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 AM
You can't compare a single 8 inch free air sub to replace the stock Bose sub with your two 10 inch free air subs.

Sub installation is a compromise between space and sound quality. If you want all your trunk, you have to make tradeoffs in sound quality. Your two 10's would have still sounded better in an enclosure. Even though the trunk acts an an enclosure, it is much too large for two 10's.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 PM
I am saying that in a sedan a free air subwoffer is a better choice than an enclosure taking up room in your trunk. Given the same power level, the free air sub sounded much better in my car than the ported box. I have heard systems with boxes in the trunk that sound great also. However the box was big and they were using alot of power to drive it. These G35s don't have much trunk space to begin with.

Subwooder enclosure design is an art in itself. Ported boxes, sealed boxes bandpass...and the list goes on. You can tune a box to give you what ever sound you want, if you are good enough. If you are designing a system for competetion then by all means build the biggest box you can fit in the trunk. Stuff it full of the biggest subwoofers money can buy and use 3 of the biggest baddest amps you can get your hands on!

The 8" sub will not have the low frequancy responce of a larger sub but not everyone needs floorboard shakin base. I prefer sound quality over quanity. You may be able to mount a board under the rear window shelf and attach the sub to that for more support. Then put the power to it!

I don't think saying a free air sub doesn't sound as good as an enclosure is an accurate statement. There are plenty of crappy sounding systems out there and I'll bet they arn't all free air designs.

Tom