Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bose amplifier powerd MB Quart Component's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose amplifier powerd MB Quart Component's

Is it possible to just install a set of MB Quart RCE216 component speakers without another amplifier? I have purchased the components, but don't yet have the funds for an amplifier. I would like to install the components in the mean time. Is this possible? If anyone knows, or if you have done it already, please let me know.

Thanks,

-rhon

Caribbean Blue Coupe.. Premium Package, Aero Package, Navigation, Performance Wheel & Tire Package...
Coming Soon: Clear Bra, custom fiberglass sub (10") enclosure, tint all around...

Old 03-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Re: Bose amplifier powerd MB Quart Component's

Yeah, it's possible...I installed my 4 kappas before I put in my new amp. Just remember that you're losing about half of the power that the bose amp "supposedly" puts out because the quarts run at 4 ohms as opposed to 2.

In my opinion, the bose amp didn't have nearly enough power to send to the new speakers... you've got about 35 watts running to each speaker with the stock set up, so you'll have about 18 watts going to each new speakers. Like I said, it can be done, but you'll want a new amp a lot sooner than you think!

Old 03-12-2004, 10:06 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

In my opinion, the bose amp didn't have nearly enough power to send to the new speakers... you've got about 35 watts running to each speaker with the stock set up, so you'll have about 18 watts going to each new speakers.

<hr></blockquote>
I installed MB Quart Q components in the front doors of my sedan this past weekend, and it is a huge improvement, even with the stock amp. I fully intend to add an amp, (I already have two JL amps ready to go in), but I would fully encourage a speaker-only replacement. Even though the Q's are notorious for power consumption, there is no apparant shortage of power. All I needed to do was to adjust the fader one notch to FR1. There is no shortage of volume, and much clearer sound than the stock speakers. While I'm sure the installation of my 300/4 will be another quantum leap forward, I could live for a long time with the stereo like it is now. Whereas I definately could NOT live with the muffled sound of the stock Blose speakers.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 03-12-2004, 10:50 AM

With a speaker only replacement, do I use the MB crossover? So, basically what i need to know is if I just pull out the old speaker and tweeter and throw in the new MB quart ones. Or do I use the crossover. And if I need the crossover, how to I wire it?
Also, in the future when I get another amp, will I have to run seperate speaker wires to the MB crossover, or do I just disconnect them from the bose amp and use them accordingly. I am basically wanting to know how everyone is wiring their setup.
Thanks so far for the information everyone has provided.

-Rhon

CCoupe.. Premium Package, Aero Package, Navigation, Performance Wheel & Tire Package, 35% tint all around
Coming soon: MB Quart 6.5 components for front and Infinity Basslink sub in trunk!

Old 03-12-2004, 12:06 PM

With a speaker only replacement, do I use the MB crossover?

<hr></blockquote>
Yes. You run the speaker wires that formerly ran to the 6.5" stock driver, and run that to the MB Quart crossover. From there, you need to run two sets of speaker wires; one to the MB tweeter, and one to the MB 6.5" driver. Very simple.

Also, in the future when I get another amp, will I have to run seperate speaker wires to the MB crossover, or do I just disconnect them from the bose amp and use them accordingly.

<hr></blockquote> That depends. The BEST solution would be to run new, audiophile quality, speaker wires from the new amp to the MB Quart crossovers. But that is a pretty tough job. Aside from removing all the door sills to run wires, feeding the wires from the door frame, into the door is no easy matter, (but still do-able). You could certainly stay with the stock speaker wires. My plan is to stay with the stock speaker wires, and splice in near the stock amp.

Old 03-12-2004, 03:42 PM
IQ9

I have been watching this thread with great intrest. I must thank all of you for giving me an option that does not require an amp as my fund are limited right now. What model of Quarts do you recommend?

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHRER ARE OUR PARTS!
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 03-12-2004, 07:11 PM

What model of Quarts do you recommend?

<hr></blockquote>
I used the QM218.61 Q. These are the previous models, and while I have heard that the new models are better, they are a virtually identical physical design. I think they sound great, even with the stock amp. Given your tight budget, these previous model Q's run several hundred dollars less than the cost of their current model replacements. Probably a better option than getting a newer, but lesser model from their current line-up. There are a number of dealers selling them on eBay now. Look to pay a bit over $300/pr.

Old 03-12-2004, 07:26 PM
IQ9

Thanks for the info. Should I mess with the backs at all or just leave them alone.

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHRER ARE OUR PARTS!
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 03-13-2004, 09:53 AM

I have a set of MB Quart PCE 216's for my back door speakers, but I have not put them in yet. I hate working in the garage when it is freezing out! I'm sure it will help, but the front door speakers made such a huge improvement, I can't see the rears making nearly as much of a difference. I intend to eventually replace all the stock drivers, including the sub on the rear deck. But you may find that after doing the front doors with a set of Q's, you're happy. I would also recommend Dynamatting the doors when you have them apart. A little over $100 (on eBay) for more than enough Dynamat Extreme in a Bulk Pack for all four doors, (and probably the trunk lid as well) is a small price to pay for the improvement it delivers.