Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Double DIN Conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Double DIN Conversion?

What do you guys think about these two options? Has anyone seen anything better than this out there that allows you to maintain your AC unit? I do not have the dual climate control in my Sedan - so I think these would work out fine. Let me know if anyone else has come across a better option.

1) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-I...6770QQtcZphoto

2) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget

Old 01-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
go with #1 for sure, jdm. #2 is just a cheap aftermarket version

Old 01-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered

i've never seen the second before, but looks better than the original...
but look wise, the first one looks better

tuf choice

Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by dyenboy
i've never seen the second before, but looks better than the original...
but look wise, the first one looks better

tuf choice
Really? #1 is deffinately the way to go. Don't get #2. Pay the extra bit and get quality. Although I am the kinda guy that takes quality > quantity/price. I live up here in PA and would drive my car to PF or GTM or Forged to have the job done right. But thats me.

-AGThing1227

Old 01-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get #1 and PM me for your FORUM PRICE!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
It appears that everyone recommends #1. If I purchase this item, is there anything I should know when selecting a new Head Unit? I would like to have a nice DVD/NAV combo. Does the standard OEM system have an amp built in?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
check out the pioneer avic-z2

Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Just so you know the guy in post #5 is the guy selling item #1 and it sounds like he is going to give you an even better price than listed on ebay. I suggest you PM him.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely go with the first option. PM Jason @ Riverside for a price.

As for headunit, I'd suggest the Pioneer AVIC-D3.
Just my opinion, I think this is the best bang for your buck.
Although the Z2 is a great headunit, I think it's not worth the extra money. You can get basically the same thing from a D3 but at a lower price.

Yes, the Z2 has a harddrive for the navigation. The D3 requires you to have a nav DVD in the unit to search.
People complain about having to take out their CD's to use the nav.
This won't be a problem if you purchase a CD-i200. This will allow you to hook up your iPod instead of listening to CD's.
Now, you can keep your nav DVD inside at all times and never have to remove CD's/DVD's.
Also, if you get the Z2, in order to insert a CD/DVD, the screen lowers itself to expose the CD/DVD insert. This can pose a problem if you drive a automatic.
If you're in park while you open the Z2, it can hit your shifter. Don't worry about the shifter, though. It's not going anywhere.
The Z2, however, might damage its motor and might have trouble opening/closing again.

This goes for all headunits with moving parts. Some say to get a flip screen... but IMO I think it looks tacky and a bit cheap. Especially since it has that lil' empty square below/above the flip screen (depending on how you install it).
People say that the flip-out screens only hit the shifter if you install it on the lower half of the double din.
So, they install it on the upper half of the double din with the empty square below.
Sure, it doesn't hit the shifter... but it sure does a good job of covering up the AC controls.
Now, you have to reach around the screen to control the AC or close the screen again.
Double-din screens look much cleaner and factory-installed compared to flip-out screens. Flip-outs belong in Hondas (just a joke, Honda-fans, please don't get touchy).
With the D3, there are no moving parts. So no worries about damaging any motors.

Also, with a lot of the headunits out there... a lot of them have buttons on the right or bottom of the screen.
This makes it pretty bothersome having to reach around the shifter to press buttons.
For example, the Z2 has all of its buttons on the bottom of the screen (and on the screen i.e. touchscreen) and the shifter will get really annoying.
The D3 has all the buttons on the left side for easy accessibility to the driver.

Another neat feature for the D3 is to color match the headunit to the rest of the car.
Since the AC is amber along with the rest of the car, I set mine to amber and it flows with the factory ambiance.
Looks weird when everything in the car is amber and you have this random blue (or whatever color) light in the middle of your dash.
I don't know whether or not if the Z2 can do this. All I've seen is blue.
Not sure if the Z2 can do this or not either. But the D3 allows for customizable backgrounds and loading screens. Of course, I made mine a G35.

And you always add on more things if you want: (purchase separately)
Rear-View Camera, Bluetooth, XM/Sirius Satellite Radio, TV Tuner, Voice Recognition, iPod Integration, PAC-SWI PS (keep use of steering wheel controls), and Remote Controls.

And this is just MSRP: (pioneerelectronics.com)
Z2: $2200
D3: $1000

EDIT: My setup

My background wallpaper.

My loading screen.

Radio.

iPod integration. [CD-i200]

Playing video from iPod. Can play DVD's, too.

Navigation.

GPS antenna.

Rear-view camera.

Automatically switches when in reverse.

Color-matched buttons to amber.
Sorry for crappy picture. Camera phone.

Hope this was of help to you.

Last edited by FlSHRFun; 02-28-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Dude...FISHRFun, you rock! Thank you for all of the information and explainations. I am definitely leaning towards the D3. I have the Z2 in my GT500 and everything that you mentioned is completely true about the Z2! I dont really like it that much. LOL. If I like the D3, I will probably pull the Z2 out of my GT and sell it on eBay. Like I said, I have not been very happy with the Z2 and honestly before you posted this - I was leaning towards an Alpine or Eclipse.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Glad to be of help.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I installed an Eclipse AVN 6600 in my car. I would look into the Eclipse units before you make a final decision.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:11 AM
ttrank, do you have any pics of your setup? Can you tell me the pros and cons of your 6600?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Places on price grabber have the D3 (refurbished) for $550.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Click the links in ttrank's signature. His car is sick.
BTW, I got my D3 shipped (no tax) from eBay for $700. Brand new in the box. Never opened. Just buy from a reputable seller.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Double DIN Conversion?