Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About speakers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
About speakers...

I know there's a car audio section, but I wanted to post my question here first for the G35 sedan guys to answer, based on their prior experience...

I'm new to these G35 forums. I recently purchased an '04 G35x black on black. The car came with a stock stereo (non-Bose). I'll elaborate for those who have Bose and may not be familiar with the base model stereo; it has a built-in 6-disc changer/ cassette and 4 speakers (2 in the front doors and 2 in the back doors, as well as tweeters up on the front door). I don't mind the head unit, considering it's got a built-in 6-disc changer... but the speakers aren't so great. I wouldn't mind upgrading to Pioneers or JL Audios.

I have a few questions about this stock stereo of mine:

A) What brand is the stock head unit? And what brand are stock the speakers?

B) What are the specs. (watts/ rms of the head unit and speakers)?

C) What is the mounting depth of the speaker locations in the front and rear doors?

I do know I can fit 6.5" to 6.75" speakers in those locations, but I'm unsure about how much of a mounting depth I have...

I'm looking into the Pioneer Premier TS-D702P, Pioneer TS-A1782R, and or JL Audio VR650-CXi at the moment; which all have a mounting depth of 2.5".

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Naveed2126; 03-06-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
A) What brand is the head unit? And what brand are the speaker?

The head unit is Bose as well as the speakers. Bose is made by Clarion

B) What are the specs. (watts/ rms of the head unit and speakers)?

Im not too sure on the specs but if you change your door/deck speakers you will need to ditch the factory Bose Amp because the stock amp wont be able to power aftermarket speakers.

C) What is the mounting depth of the speaker locations in the front and rear doors?

The mounting depth of the door speakers and deckspeakers are about an inch an a half. Also you would need to buy speaker spacers

I do know I can fit 6.5" to 6.75" speakers in those locations, but I'm unsure about how much of a mounting depth I have....

As for the size I'd stick with the 6.5.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
The head unit is Bose as well as the speakers. Bose is made by Clarion

Im not too sure on the specs but if you change your door/deck speakers you will need to ditch the factory Bose Amp because the stock amp wont be able to power aftermarket speakers.

The mounting depth of the door speakers and deckspeakers are about an inch an a half. Also you would need to buy speaker spacers

As for the size I'd stick with the 6.5.

I was pretty sure the non-Bose stereo doesn't have an amp..?

Plus, I don't even have speakers in the rear deck... I just have a speaker in each door, so 4 total since I have a sedan.

So Clarion makes the non-Bose stereo?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Yep according to the service manager when my OEM radio $hit the bed the Bose system is made by Clarion. I thought you had the Bose setup. Since you dont have Bose thats great cause the Bose is a PITA to deal with when replacing speakers and adding subs.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Yea, I'm kinda glad I don't have the Bose because the sound system is the first to be upgraded no matter what car I have.

So there's no amp for the non-Bose, correct?

So I'd need spacers to install speakers with a mounting depth larger than 1.5"...

How much would these spacers space out before the speaker makes contact with the door panel itself..?

Last edited by Naveed2126; 03-06-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
It depends on the size speakers you are using. If you notice when you take the OEM speakers out they sit in some sort cradle that line the holes up with the doors. The spacers should'nt be any more than 15.00 shipped to you. The spacers are about 1.5 inches thick. There isnt an amp if you have the non Bose system.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I appreciate you helping me out with this one. Is there a member who sells these spacers or a site where I can purchase them?

Also, do you think with the 1.5" spacers, I will be able to fit 2.5" depth speakers?

JL Audio VR650-CXi:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=126

I would much rather spend $15 on spacers and end up getting nice speakers, than getting sh*tty ones due to fitment issues, and then regretting it after the installation... makes sense, right? lol

Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GO to crutchfield.com and type in ur car, that should give you all the info you need.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You guys are close, but not quite there.

The Bose and non-Bose radios are made by Clarion. With the Bose system, Bose makes the amp and the 2 ohm speakers.

Non-Bose system speakers are 4 ohm and the ones I pulled out of an 05 coupe were branded with Panasonic on the back.

You should get speaker spacers for the front doors at least, not because of mounting depth of the speakers, but to space the speaker out to the back side of the door panel for better sound. The ones I bought were from www.zenclosures.com and they were about $20. I don't have speaker spacers for the rear door speakers in my sedan or coupe.

I don't know the wattage output of the OEM radio, but it will drive mosr aftermarket speakers to a listenable volume level. More sensitive speakers will pay off here.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:10 PM
What I'm looking to do is install some JL VR650-CXi's which are 2.5" in depth. But if there isn't room for 2.5" deep speakers to fit there, I would like to buy the right spacers to ensure these speakers will fit. I just want to do this right in the first shot. Thanks for all your replies, is there anything else I need to know fellas?

Last edited by Naveed2126; 03-06-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 PM
You need spacers to make sure the speaker meets the back of the door panel, otherwise, there will be a gap. The JL's might fit without a spacer, but it won't meet the back side of the door panel without it.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 PM
One more concern, if I got the spacers, installed these JL's, will the door panel make contact with the speaker when put back on?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 AM
They shouldn't if you install them properly.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Gilley the audio tech saves the day again!....lol....thanks for backing us up and helping him out.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I wrote to the seller on ebay, who sells these spacers Gilley linked me to. This was his reply:

"Hi, I used speakers that were a little over 2.5" deep and they still hit the window.....I shimmed the spacer with washers and that allowed enough clearance.
I would recommend a speaker 2.5" deep or less but even with spacers you may have to do some shimming/modding."

Mike G.

Just curious, what speakers are you guys running in your G at the moment?

Last edited by Naveed2126; 03-07-2008 at 10:30 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About speakers...