Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2-Ohm Speakers for BOSE upgrade: Catalog and reviews

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2-Ohm Speakers for BOSE upgrade: Catalog and reviews

Upgrading from BOSE (Stage 1 budget)

I'm looking through the 2-ohm speakers available (for those that'll keep the BOSE partially intact) and the three I've found of note so far are:

Image Dynamics Chameleon CXS62 components and CTX6 2-way
JBL CTO607C components and GTO637 or GTO627 3-way and 2-way
Infinity Kappa 60.7CS components and 62.7I 2-way

Could also add in rear deck speakers of course...

I'll admit I haven't heard any ID speakers in a long time, but for simplicity with the Blose amp (05) I'm considering the Chameleons up front and CTX coaxs in the back, keep in the 2-ohm universe. Any reviews of said speakers? Does the over EQ from the amp ruin the goodness?

Keep this thread alive for all those in the same boat and I'll update the list as speakers are added, share the knowledge.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from what ive read it sounds like if you want better sound the big thing is removing the bose amp and not just speakers alone.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 PM
I thought the amp was the weakest link of the system? To be honest, I suggest you save that money toward something else. Simply because you won't be able to resell these later on since there's not a lot of market for them. Also, SQ improvement will not be noticeable, if any.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 PM
So the amp is no good at all eh? Hmm, I'm all for a big setup, maybe even something like a JL 500/5 perhaps? Just thinking about what it would be like to not go as big. Heard the speakers were paper coned garbage, that's no good.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 PM
JL is nice and all, but IMO, they're over priced unless u get them at dealer's cost. There are many many more good stuffs can be had at JL's price.

Look at this thread for one of the suggestions I had. I've heard similar system using similar stuffs and they sounds just as good as JL setups costing twice as much. Remember, staging is the best in the game. Get the stage right, and you can make regular components sounds so good. Bad stage and all the great stuffs will go down the drain.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=10

Old 03-18-2008, 12:42 AM
My needs are growing more modest with age, but I do miss the stereo I left in the Max. I'll likely either go with an single system amp like the 500/5 or maintain the savagery that is the bose amp at least in the short term. Tempted to go Pro60s again, always a winner in my book.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Speaking of Boston Pro60s, would they run passably off the bose while I sorted out the rest of my setup? 3-ohm impedance won't draw the juice the Pros need, that's for sure, but people are running 4s for at least a while, right?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bostons aren't usually the most efficient speakers and usually need more power than other speakers of the same size. They sound good though. I don't know that the Bose amp would be able to provide enough wattage to them to make them sound good.

Any speaker more than 2 ohms won't produce as much volume as the stock 2 ohm speakers.

I like Boston Acoustics speakers and have used them for years. I have installed the 4 ohm non-pro models in a G with the non-Bose radio and they make a nice improvement over the stock speakers.

Last edited by Gilley; 03-19-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have been researching this for my 05 with Bose. I have installed complete systems before, but wifey drew the line on the budget, so just speakers. My complaint is the stock Bose system sounds much better playing CDs than the radio.
JBL and Infinity are both owned by Harman International. The Infinity Kappa speakers have a smoother tweeter than the JBL, but they are very similar overall. There are reviews of both at the Crutchfield web page. The Inifinity Reference series also comes in 2 ohm, but is of lower quality than the Kappas. However, I had the Reference silk tweeters in a Mazda MX6 mounted in the stock locations (upper dash so they bounced off the windshield) and they sounded great, smooth and detailed, running with 50 watts per channel on a California amp.
Another consideration is that the Inifinity Kappas are rated at 95 db efficiency. The Image Dynamics are rated at 91 db efficiency. The Infinity speakers will be much louder than the Image Dynamics speakers. Given the relatively limited Bose power, that is in their favor. Also they are much cheaper. The ID CX62 go for about $359 on the internet and are rarely on eBay. I just bought the Infinity 60.7cs front component set for $109 on eBay, but they usually go for $130. Crutchfield wants over $200.
I plan to install them when it warms up a little more so I can remove the interior and door panels and install Raamat sound deadener everywhere at the same time.