Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Custom Vista ultimate 8.4" Xenarc touchscreen/fingerprint/EVDORevA carpc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hardware like that is easily upgraded when the time comes. I consider myself a power user and like my desktops to be quite fast for photoshop work and such but when it comes to having to run media center and videos, music navigation and surfing. It really doesnt require that much power. I am now running windows 7 which is much better than vista as far as performance. I wonder how fast one of those dual cores will suck my battery dry when my car is off, even though I know these p4's are notoriously energy hogs as well. I do plan on upgrading, just have to take it one step at a time. This was last year btw even though thats still out of date

Old 04-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Very Very nice.
When I first got my car, I thought about a possible 10-11" widescreen touchscreen monitor... mounted vertically. A/C controls would have to go on the bottom and the head unit would be mounted in the glove compartment.

There are too many simpler projects available for this car so I never went down that road but I'm glad to see someone with time on their hands. Amazing job! I wouldn't have thought about the finger-reader and who knows if I would have even come close on the fitment that you have achieved. A+ very well done!

The one thing I want in my car is streaming internet radio....

Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Could you just bypass the transponder all together, and install a hidden switch to give the car power, at that point use the scanner to start the car?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys. You cant just run the wires to the relay and have it hotwire the car when you want lol. You will need an immobilizer bypass kit. which will take one of your spare keys. This still does not eliminate the need for the car having to be in the ACC state to turn the engine on. All in all my setups not there but it is part of the plan. Theres no reason to try and integrate that right now if it take 30secs-1min for the computer to boot. I dont want to have to wait at all to turn on the car thats more inconvenience than anything. Having a fingerprint scanner should only make it more convenient. So when I either have a low enough consuming computer or big enough energy reserve to leave the computer in a sleep state whenever the car is off the scanner starting the car is a more viable option.

Last edited by Deftronix; 04-20-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftronix
Hardware like that is easily upgraded when the time comes. I consider myself a power user and like my desktops to be quite fast for photoshop work and such but when it comes to having to run media center and videos, music navigation and surfing. It really doesnt require that much power. I am now running windows 7 which is much better than vista as far as performance. I wonder how fast one of those dual cores will suck my battery dry when my car is off, even though I know these p4's are notoriously energy hogs as well. I do plan on upgrading, just have to take it one step at a time. This was last year btw even though thats still out of date
I believe the Core2 actually uses less power than the Prescotts. Still more than enough power nonetheless. It looks like to me you have the stock navigation, do you have a shot of it with the stock navi up?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks real nice, are you on mp3car.com too?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 AM
Coupe
screw KITT...this is GITT

Old 04-22-2009, 07:21 PM
I think I just jizzed a little in my pants after seeing Deftronix setup.

My next thought? What would the possibilities be if Deftronix and ttrank worked together modding a G?

Question-(Deftronix) How old are you and where did you learn to do this kind of thing? Also, it seems you're avoiding the question about how much money you've invested in your setup, which I can understand for your sake, but can we at least get an idea? I feel like it's one of those if you have to ask then you can't afford it...

Old 04-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Very nice work Deftronix, those blue lights look amazing. Should post a DIY, if not posted yet.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 AM
This is incredible, How did you get the blue LED display?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys! ^ I used high temp stage lighting gel and a thin piece of plexi glass that was bendable to make a replacement cover. You have to make the cover concave like the stock one to minimize reflection.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by MJAldridge6
I think I just jizzed a little in my pants after seeing Deftronix setup.

My next thought? What would the possibilities be if Deftronix and ttrank worked together modding a G?

Question-(Deftronix) How old are you and where did you learn to do this kind of thing? Also, it seems you're avoiding the question about how much money you've invested in your setup, which I can understand for your sake, but can we at least get an idea? I feel like it's one of those if you have to ask then you can't afford it...
Thanks for the kind words Haha, I would love to do a project with Tim!
Im 26 and pretty much taught myself this stuff. When I was younger I pissed off my parents to no end taking apart all their electronics. If it had a cover that could come off with screws I was in it This is also the second conversion Ive done as far as led work. I did my lexus gs and it was actually more involved than this. I wish I had pictures of it, it also had the blue/white theme. As far as the computer work I would say I have invested about 3k including carbon fiber wrapping the console. Now if I had to pay someone for fab work I think it would have been closer to 10k, at least at the pace I worked.

Heres a little teaser of the cf:

I am making a center channel enclosure for the hole that is between my oem navi screen and other screen.
My next mod is embedding an ipod touch into my steering wheel and using ajax remote to control items, navigate my playlist and all sorts of other things the app world opens up to you. (yes the airbag is going to be removed, I dont need to be killed by a flying ipod!)

Last edited by Deftronix; 06-06-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
What model of router do you use to put in a wireless broadband card?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:08 PM
very nice, I like the fingerprint scanner idea

I did a senior project in college using RFID and always thought it would be cool to use one as a key, off course with a computer you could also program it to do other things also.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:07 PM
holy jesus this is awesome.. *jizzes everywhere*

Last edited by Aquarius; 08-08-2009 at 03:11 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom Vista ultimate 8.4" Xenarc touchscreen/fingerprint/EVDORevA carpc