Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

LOC & Component speaker ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2004 | 11:25 AM
|
LOC & Component speaker ?

Hi everyone-

I've read an exhausting # of posts regarding my questions and can't find a clear answer. Here's what I want to do:

I'm going to add the following to my premium-BOSE (crap) 6MT: 6.5" components up front, Alpine MRV-450 5-ch amp (to power fronts, rear-side panels, and my sub), and a JL Audio 12W6v2. I am going to keep the stock head unit, rear side panel 6.5"s and rear 6x9s.

Now for my questions:
1. What LOC is recommended to run b/w my stock head unit and my Alpine amp? I need 4 channels worth of RCAs (will configure my amp to use channels 3+4 for the sub signal).

2. What is the mounting depth of our front 6.5" components? I don't want to do any cutting. I'm currently considering the Infinity Kappas or Perfects, or Boston Acoustic Rallys.

Any help is appreciated.

Diamond Graphite / Willow 6MT / 25mm H&R TRAK+ spacers / 20% tint
next up: Eibach Pro Kit / Nismo CAI or JWT Pop Charger w/ Z-tube

Old 04-13-2004 | 02:29 PM
Re: LOC & Component speaker ?

Hi,
I used PAC's OEM-2 LOC (link) and I'm pleased (no engine noise, whine, etc). I'm using the stock deck's fader to control the output to the sub amp (or input in your case) which works fairly well.

I had no problem fitting the 6.5" Infinity Kappa set in the doors. I later used a 1" spacer to help fill the gap between the speaker and the door panel.

Good luck,

BLKSNAKE - '04 G35 Coupe
Check out my hidden sub! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2004 | 04:39 PM
From: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)

I have the Infinity Perfect 6.1's in the front doors which fit fine. The backseat side 6.5"s are shallow though. I initially bought a pair of Kappa 6.5"s for the back seat but speakers was way too deep to mount so I settled for Eclipse 6.5 3-ways which sound fine.

Before I swapped out my deck, my install crew put in VEN4 LOCs, great LOC, no noise although there are cheaper but just as good alternatives out there.

docron1 aka joepaniolo

Old 04-13-2004 | 04:43 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

hey ron.. what's a good alternative to those VEN4s? I don't want to blow the money for them since it's only going to be a temporary thing? Do I need multiple ones, or is one enough?

2004 G35s 5AT DG/Graphite/Premium/Huper Optik Tint

Old 04-14-2004 | 11:54 AM

Ven4s expensive? I got mine for $12 shipped on ebay. I saw them new for around $40. Works fantastic. Only one is needed for four channels.

Old 04-15-2004 | 09:42 PM
|

Cool. Thanks everyone.

I'm gonna check out the VEN4. Did you install it behind the dash or near the amp? It seems like a P.I.T.A to get the stock HU out. Not looking forward to it.

Old 04-16-2004 | 05:56 PM

You can literally cut out the bose and replace with a line level converter plus amp at that same spot. There is no need to get behind the radio. It's probably one of the easiest car stereo related things I've ever done, once you get over the stigma of chopping into the wires of your expensive luxury car . The harnesses going into the Bose have everything you need except the battery connections, and all the speaker wiring will be right there waiting to be hooked up to something else. The battery terminals themselves have a nice post for affixing your amp wire too. They even marked a circle on the the firewall grommet which practically tells you to "insert amp wire here". It's a great car to work with.

Old 04-16-2004 | 06:06 PM
From: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)

My original LOCs were near the amps.....

Old 04-16-2004 | 06:59 PM

So the questions I have left are:
I have a 5 channel amp, so if I got a 4 channel LOC, would the factory sub be able to be powered by my Alpine amp? If not, what is a good perfect mount sub that I could throw in the hole and power off the alpine?

Old 04-18-2004 | 11:20 AM
|

Technically, yes - you can probably power the factory sub with your 5-ch. I have the Alpine MRV-450 and it has a switch that allows the sub channel to "piggyback" off one of the other channel's input to deliver sound to the sub.

The only problems with using the factory sub that I can foresee are 1.) the impedance of the factory sub? I don't know what it is but it could drastically affect the end result (especially if its higher than 4 ohms) 2.) You might overpower the factory sub if you push it too hard.

I would find out exactly what size your sub is and what type of enclosure is being used and go from there. I will say right off the bat that JL Audio makes sweet subs, especially the v2 series.

Old 04-18-2004 | 11:32 AM

I was thinking about a free-air JL for the stock hole that way I can power it off my 450... I have a 10 inch alpine in box..which is REALLY nice and hits pretty well for the size.. but the problem that I have with it is it takes up alot of trunk space.

Old 04-18-2004 | 06:44 PM
|

Yeah, I'm putting a 12Wv2 in a custom box in the trunk. It does take up a TON of room, but it will be worth it.

I don't know that JL makes a free air anymore. I know they used to, but I think that line of speakers was discontinued. Although you could try eBay.

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2004 | 10:15 PM

Hi,
My stereo shop said I could not just replace the amp and speakers. They said I would have to replace the whole head unit b/c it did something with the bose amp (I don't remember exactly what). Sounded like crap to me. Is there any problems with doing this that you know of? Thanks In Advance.

Old 04-22-2004 | 10:50 PM

You can also pick up a good LOC at www.davidnavone.com - N-774, they are now shipping an updated version - the NE-774 for the same price.

2004 Diamond Graphite Infiniti G35 Sedan
Z Intake Tube
5% Tint
ZAINO

Old 04-23-2004 | 12:10 PM

Is the new one called the NE-774 OR is it N-774V? I'm a little confused now, which one do i need???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LOC & Component speaker ?