Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

installing headunit w/o dashkit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing headunit w/o dashkit

ok i have just tested to see where i can fit my aftermarket headunit in and the only probable place that it may fit is inside the nav compartment, for those w/o a nav... reason for this is because i do not want to spend $400 for a dash kit, and 2nd reason is because i like the factory look... now the install shop may have to modify the nav compartment slightly so that the headunit will it in there nicely... luckily the width ofthe compartment is just right, it will slide in fine, but gotta see if they can modify the back and inside to give it more space so that i can slide the deck in further in... i'll let you guys know the details, gonna visit my install shop today and see what they can do...

Old 04-16-2004, 02:57 AM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: installing headunit w/o dashkit

For the stock navi cubby, the depth is too shallow. You have to cut into the AC venting that funnels air to the side AC vents in the rear of the aluminum bracket to fit the deck depth-wise. Even while doing this, your deck might stick out an inch. Another thing is that is you don't fabricate a fiberglass DIN adapter like achee did with his AVIC n1, your deck will mount at a sharp angle of inclination that is not recommended by your deck manufacturer (almost 60 degrees vs. dealer recommended max ~30 degrees.)

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

g35mt mounted his FACEPLATE in the stock navi cubby and the actual deck in the upper cubby by fashioning a ribbon cable from the HU to the faceplate. The reported problem was the glare during the day made it hard or unable to see the faceplate display.

As for the upper glovebox, I tried to do this too, my install crew measured and measured again but it will barely fit a 6 7/8" deep deck. BUT, you have to take into account 1-2 wire harnesses, the Nissan Antenna Adapter and RCAs, it might not fit. You can cut the upper glove box but you might run into the cabin filter apparatus too.

The height and width is not the problem, the depth is the problem. Another thing to consider is that you have to alwaya keep the upper glovebox door open to remote control the deck.

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it turns out.

docron1 aka joepaniolo

Old 04-16-2004, 03:22 AM

One afterthought too is that is might be more expensive to cut and fabricate the deck to fit into that stock navi cubby.

Achee spent $1200 to cut into AC venting, fiberglass fabrication and painting to mount a $1800 AVIC n1. Don't get me wrong, it looks great.

But, why not just spend $400 to get the v35 Skyline Dash parts from J's and do the install yourself for free??? Most likely, you'll end up spending less going that route. Doing the doubleDIN conversion will, IMO, look more stock than mounting a deck up there in the cubby that may stick out an inch and also still have the residual stock Bose deck. People will ask you why you have both a Bose deck with a CD slot that probably will be disabled and an aftermarket deck with another CD slot....

Old 04-16-2004, 03:28 AM

Here's my final product, its looks pretty stock....
$400 for all the parts and I did all the labor.....

229983-driversideview - final!.jpg

Old 04-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if you really wanted to be cheap, you can just order the A/C controls and dremel out your center console and use the stock bracket (drill some holes) and it would probably look the same with a little finesse...

VortechSupercharger
TeinBasicCoilovers
Volk 19" GT-7Gunmetal 19x9.5,19x8.5
BridgestoneS0-3 245/35,275/35
EBC GreenstuffBrakePads
RogueEngineeringShort Shifter
NismoGTTitaniumShiftKnob

Old 04-16-2004, 04:08 PM

I thought about that too.

I don't know what the double DIN measurements of the dremmeled stock dash would be though. You would have to extend the dremmeling from the top of the sat/radio/cd/nav round buttons to the bottom of the radio vertically which I'm assuming might be larger than a regular double DIn. DOn't know for sure......

My next hobby project will be to take my stock dash that I removed and do the dremmelling and maybe put some gauges or EL lightstrips to just play around to see what I get as well make a doubleDIN space. Then, maybe I can sell it to someone. lol