Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Dell DJ...alternative to iPod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 04:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dell DJ...alternative to iPod

Has anyone seen this.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

The battery lasts longer than the iPod and you can get a cradle that charges the unit AND is an FM modulator so you don't need the tape deck adapter. Seems like a good alternative to double din conversion in order to play mp3s. What do you guys think? Anyone have one?

236848-dell dj.jpg

Old 04-24-2004, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dell DJ...alternative to iPod

sorry but that look alittle bit bulky. Also the Fm transmitter isn't all that great from what i heard, your best bet is to wait for the AUX input to come out for our cars

04 G35C 6mt/aero kit/nav/premium

Old 04-24-2004, 10:57 AM

My brother in law has one. It has a 20g hard drive and works very well. The FM modulator is nice but as with all FM modulators the sound is not as good as I personally would want. I saw they were only 200 bucks a few weeks ago. If I was going to get an MP3 player I would get it.

BUT, if I was you I would wait. ipods and similar will be outdated by the end of the year. There are currently 2 mp3/video players (one is an RCA and the other is the
archos archos
)

These are very similar in price to the ipod and play video/mp3 (can be used as a still camera, as a video camera with expansions, and can record video/audio).

These 2 models are the first generation and they do have their problems but other companies are lining up to build them. From what I understand there will be a much larger market by September.

"I'm not saying you're full of BS, per se" - Zimbo

-JustICE

Old 04-24-2004, 02:46 PM

I have done a lot of research on PDA and MP3 players. Trust me on this one, if your going for MP3's go iPod all the way. Despite their higher price there is a reason they still outsell all the others combined. By far the most solid, best fit and finish, physical size vs storage and ease of use. The ease of use in my opinion is the worth it by itself. Windows or Mac the itunes software that comes with any iPod is awesome and really easy to use. As far as playing movies and capturing pictures, I think is a waste of time, the movies and pictures will more thank likely be in some compressed format that will not replay well, and even if it did its not worth the time to watch it on a small screen and the battery life. I had an ipaq from compaq and never use it to watch movies because its not worth the time and storage to save and play a movie on such a low quality player. iPod is by far the way to go, you should hit up an Apple store and you well definately be sold in comparison to any other mp3 player.

Old 04-24-2004, 02:53 PM

I have a creative Nomad Zen Xtra 30gig and I am willing to say its one of the best out, I also did a lot of research and the reason i did not go with I pod is... I pod only supports mp3 where as mine supports wma and mp3 and one othe. The creative can also store data on its hd and has more features. EAX that adds to the listening experience. It is bigger but o well it was A LOT cheaper.

Old 04-25-2004, 06:43 PM

I have the Dell DJ and love it. I'm waiting for the AUX input connector to come out. Can't wait!!!

Old 04-26-2004, 11:08 PM

I too have a Dell DJ20 gig and I love It. I use it at work to listen to tunes and I bring it with in the car on the weekends to jam out while I do my errands. I looked at a lot of HD MP3 players before I bought and to me, the IPod was a wate of money because of it's high price. If you have a decent cell phone, who needs a contact list and calendar! If you want that, get a PDA. I wanted something to store a ton of music on, that wont run out of batteries every 8 hours and that doesn't need a ton of wiring cluttering up my G's interior to work right. I ran a casette adapter wire from the casette to the middle compartment of my sedan without virtually any wires being visible. The casette adapter wire runs out of the casette deck right into the foam that's above the ash tray, under the center console right up into the center storage bin. The 3.5MM plug comes up into my center storage bin and I can easily place my DJ in the little tray, plug into the DJ and viola, super excellent sound and no wires. I haven't yet had to recharge the DJ on any weekend excursion since the battery lasts like 20 hours! I can provide pics for the casette adapter wiring if you want so you can see how I hid them. Makes it look real discreet and sounds like a concert hall, especially when I play Mozart! Let me know if you want pics!

'03.5 Silver/Graphite/5AT/4 Dr/Prem/Sprt/Aero/Winter
...Help - Someone's fallen and I'm not getting out of my G!!!

Old 04-27-2004, 01:53 AM

Yeah, pics would be great. I would appreciate that. I'd like to see how you set it up. Thanks

Old 04-28-2004, 10:38 PM

i've always like iRiver...the iHP-120 has 20 GB and a blue lit remote control and screen....16 hour battery life

Old 04-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Archos has had it's Multimedia Jukebox out for over a year or so, and has been specializing in large-capacity drives since iPod was an even younger, smaller iPod. Their products are GREAT if a little bulky. They're slimming them down now, but those who were the connaiseurs of MP3 players have usually gone with them.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 05-01-2004, 06:53 PM

Sorry, but nothing beats an iPod. The quality of an iPod beats all imitations.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum / Black Interior Premium / Sunroof / Winter pkg [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2004, 09:38 PM

Yeah iPods are great no doubt about it. But they are old technology. Time to move on to the next latest and greatest. If I could figure out a way to make myself happy with what I had rather then whats coming out my wife would be much happier.

"I'm not saying you're full of BS, per se" - Zimbo

-JustICE