Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

anyone ever try "autotoys.com" Double Din Kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone ever try "autotoys.com" Double Din Kit?

so I was looking through a bunch of posts and the majority seem to either go with metra or JDM double din converter kits, and we all know that they have been on backorder for a while. I came across Autotoys.com which sells not only the 03-04 DD kits but also the 05-07 kits as well. and in addition they give you the option of having single OR double din, which is particularly nice for those of us who just want an aftermarket radio instead of the entire Double din screen. Im thinking about picking one up, but didnt know if anyone has had experiance with this brand and wanted to know if they were quality parts? the price is also cheaper and they are in stock.

here is a link for the '03-'04 kit http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=9777

here is a link for the '05-'07 kit http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.ph...10869#pictures

let me know what u guys think, and if its worth it or if I should wait for a JDM

Old 07-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by verilath
so I was looking through a bunch of posts and the majority seem to either go with metra or JDM double din converter kits, and we all know that they have been on backorder for a while. I came across Autotoys.com which sells not only the 03-04 DD kits but also the 05-07 kits as well. and in addition they give you the option of having single OR double din, which is particularly nice for those of us who just want an aftermarket radio instead of the entire Double din screen. Im thinking about picking one up, but didnt know if anyone has had experiance with this brand and wanted to know if they were quality parts? the price is also cheaper and they are in stock.

here is a link for the '03-'04 kit http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=9777

here is a link for the '05-'07 kit http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.ph...10869#pictures

let me know what u guys think, and if its worth it or if I should wait for a JDM

that looks like the metra kit...cheap looking IMO....

doc

Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
+1. It's up to you, but I would get the JDM kit.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I agree Doc, it did look a little on the "cheap" side, but I wasnt sure. The buttons on the JDM are diff right? like not rubber or something but plastic like the real stock unit? does the JDM offer an '07 model? I have only seen 03-04. one thing that I DO like though is that the autotoys 05-07 single din gives you a brushed aluminum single din spacer if you go with the single din option (which I will since I am only putting in a single din aftermarket sterio). This saves me from needing to fill the space with a tacky black plastic or foam spacer which is one of the reasons I was attracted to it.

someone help, what do you guys think for the '07 model? thanx

Old 07-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks extremely cheap and the a/c controls are of the old style which makes it even worse.

Even if you are installing a single din, you might as well just install a pocket on the JDM double din panel because that will still look a million times better than this piece of plastic.

EDIT

And this isn't brushed aluminum, it looks like it's all just silver plastic.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
for those of us who don't like the metra kit, we should rate it on autotoys.com website and tell them what we really think about the kit in their review section... lol

doc

Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Just put myself on the preorder list with Riverside for a JDM DD whenever they get their next shipment, thanks for the advice guys.