Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Ipod integration - Which one is best? Factory Integration, USA SPEC, or PAC ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod integration - Which one is best? Factory Integration, USA SPEC, or PAC ?

As I read thru all the threads on here, I'm still trying to figure out which one is the best ipod integration for me. I see that there are 3 choices:

Ipod Factory Integration
PAC AAI-NIS2
USA SPEC PA11-NIS

I have a 04 Coupe with BOSE, not sure about SAT but I do have the button.

I would like to be able to use the steering wheel to change tracks on the ipod. I dont really care about song/artist text. Its a bonus if it comes with that. Usually I play my ipod using the playlists. Which one of these would be best for skipping thru tracks using the steering wheel controls. Do all 3 of these have steering wheel capabilities?

The factory kit seems like the easiest to install because I dont have to open up the dash. Will someone that has this tell me how they navigate thru the ipod using the head unit controls? How do you skip and pick thru playlists or find songs by artists, etc? How are the steering wheel controls?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
i love my USA Spec

1. charges the ipod
2. can be controlled by steering wheel

if used in direct mode, you can play it however you want

Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
I like the Factory one better.

1. 10X's easier to install
2. Shows Song/artist/album title on stereo
3. Utilizes all the steering wheel controls

And i just feel more comfertable with an OEM piece

Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 AM
EverythingG35.com says the '03, '04, '07, and '08 models can't use the "skip" function on the steering wheel on the factory ipod integration, so for his '04, he should look elsewhere.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Does anyone have this installed on an 03, 04, 07, 08? I want to verify what everythingg35.com says is true and what happens when you press the skip button on the steering wheel?

Also how do you know if you are pre-wired with SAT? Do I have to open up the trunk and take a look if I have that plug? I do not use SAT but I do have a SAT button. Does this mean I'm prewired? I have an 04 Coupe with Bose.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by sp2pac
Does anyone have this installed on an 03, 04, 07, 08? I want to verify what everythingg35.com says is true and what happens when you press the skip button on the steering wheel?

Also how do you know if you are pre-wired with SAT? Do I have to open up the trunk and take a look if I have that plug? I do not use SAT but I do have a SAT button. Does this mean I'm prewired? I have an 04 Coupe with Bose.

I have it in my 03 sedan with Bose hu and I can only do volume up and down on my steering wheel. I believe all 03-04 Bose radios are wired for SAT but the box reciever just isnt installed in all cars. The wire harness is there, you simply plug into the factory harness. There is a walkthrough somewhere on here for reference. It only takes 5 min to see if you have the plug if your that worried about it well at least in a sedan anyhow.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have USA-SPEC. But wondering if the OEM one requires removing the radio from the dash, or is it just plug-n-play into the trunk?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jlin615
I have USA-SPEC. But wondering if the OEM one requires removing the radio from the dash, or is it just plug-n-play into the trunk?

It plugs into the SAT harness not the radio.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by naughty240
I have it in my 03 sedan with Bose hu and I can only do volume up and down on my steering wheel. I believe all 03-04 Bose radios are wired for SAT but the box reciever just isnt installed in all cars. The wire harness is there, you simply plug into the factory harness. There is a walkthrough somewhere on here for reference. It only takes 5 min to see if you have the plug if your that worried about it well at least in a sedan anyhow.

Thats not what I wanted to hear but thanks...

What happens when you press the skip button on the steering wheel? nothin at all? how do u navigate between playlists/artists/songs?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 AM
I installed factory kit on '04 Coupe (just had SAT button w/o sat radio too). Kit was very easy to install (instructions below), looks professional (kit/wires tucked away in trunk and displays song/artist on bose read out) and sounds great Only drawback on kit in '04 is you can only control volume w/steering wheel controls. Kit comes with instructions for changing songs/playlists via bose panel.

More details below:

If the last 6 digits of your VIN are higher than numbers below you are pre-wired:
Sedan VIN: 321894 & higher
Coupe VIN: 210827 & higher

If you're not pre-wired, you can purchase kit here: http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/pro...roducts_id=270

Factory kit discussion: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/131884-factory-ipod-integration-successful.html

Install instructions: http://digitalenvy.org/files/g35/g35ipod.pdf

Old 07-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by mizzoutiger
I installed factory kit on '04 Coupe (just had SAT button w/o sat radio too). Kit was very easy to install (instructions below), looks professional (kit/wires tucked away in trunk and displays song/artist on bose read out) and sounds great Only drawback on kit in '04 is you can only control volume w/steering wheel controls. Kit comes with instructions for changing songs/playlists via bose panel.

More details below:

If the last 6 digits of your VIN are higher than numbers below you are pre-wired:
Sedan VIN: 321894 & higher
Coupe VIN: 210827 & higher

If you're not pre-wired, you can purchase kit here: http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/pro...roducts_id=270

Factory kit discussion: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131884

Install instructions: http://digitalenvy.org/files/g35/g35ipod.pdf
Looks like I'm pre-wired. I ordered the kit and its on the way.

It sucks that it doesnt let you use the skip control on the steering wheel. Im too lazy to reach over to change songs.

Thanks for the info mizzoutiger.

I think Im going to install it with the ipod coming up to the center console. Like this guy did it https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...t=ipod+caveman

Old 08-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did you order the factory kit?

why didnt you go for the us spec? it shows the song info on the head unit and you can skip songs using the steering wheel..

Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM
I got the pac harness and an Ipod connection that taps into a power wire to charge the Ipod when in use. I didnt care to much to be able to control the Ipod throught the factory controls, I rather use the Ipod (its much easier and faster. I didnt care to see the artist and song on the radio screen either so if you dont care to much about those things then go the route I did, it was very easy to install and also gives you two options for aux inputs.

EDIT: The pac harness also gives you the option to use your steering wheel controls to change thru songs.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by surfwb86
I got the pac harness and an Ipod connection that taps into a power wire to charge the Ipod when in use. I didnt care to much to be able to control the Ipod throught the factory controls, I rather use the Ipod (its much easier and faster. I didnt care to see the artist and song on the radio screen either so if you dont care to much about those things then go the route I did, it was very easy to install and also gives you two options for aux inputs.

EDIT: The pac harness also gives you the option to use your steering wheel controls to change thru songs.
with this one, i could still use my XM right?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, the harness operates so that the factory SAT radio will still work. You have the option by fliping a switch to SAT or no SAT. I have the factory harness for SAT radio but I dont use it so I left that harness disconnected and switched the PAC harness to "no SAT"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ipod integration - Which one is best? Factory Integration, USA SPEC, or PAC ?